Flea's studio bass sound

sabriel9v

• Members

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to run the bassist from my group into a DI or mic his amp, but I'm not quite sure. I'm not a bass player so that's self explanatory. But I know he's absolutely obsessed with Flea and wants to sound just like him. Does anyone know of the different techniques Flea used when recording Californication?

www.myspace.com/marvelousrejections

• Members

Well in the funky monks DVD it shows him running direct (for Give It Away) AND with a miked up cab (for Sikiamikanico).

But most of Flea's sound comes from his fingers. You'll be hard pressed replicating it exactly, but you can try. Or your bass player can just muck around with different techniques and find the recording method that suits him the best.

• Members

Well in the funky monks DVD it shows him running direct (for Give It Away) AND with a miked up cab (for Sikiamikanico).

But most of Flea's sound comes from his fingers. You'll be hard pressed replicating it exactly, but you can try. Or your bass player can just muck around with different techniques and find the recording method that suits him the best.

I was just watching that!

The tone off of that DVD is epic as hell. That Wal tone is so damn good.

• Members

I'd say DI ....I use DI for recording on my Mac via FireWire interface, in the cans it is SOOOO good. Then again, the bass amp I have here is a Behringer....I did a session some years ago and the engineer mic'd AND DI'd me. Just sat in the control room, the monitors sounded better than my Peavy and 15" box! ( ...was a small amount of the amp in the mix)

• Members

I just did some tracks on tuesday.

not that I want to sound anything like Flea but the tone I liked best was a mix of DI from the head, a Beta52 on the cabinet (Mesa 4x12) and a condenser mic about 5 feet back picking up the sound in the room.

I added a touch of EQ on the DI when mixing (3db @ 1000hz) to help get over mids from the guitars.

If you've got time experiment and see what you like best.

Archived