EQ your band

OraarO

• Members

Is it me, or do guitar players and keyboard players hog the frequency range for bass players?:confused: Guitar players dig a big, bottom heavy sound, and keyboards through a PA seem like they have tons of low end too.

Has anyone figured out a way to smooth the 'live room' mix so volume isn't the only way to compete to hear yourself?:idea:

Damon

• Members

Scoop your mids and you'll probably hear more articulation in the mix.

make that boost your mids, and I would say yes. If you scooped them out, you will probably lose yourself in the mix even more.

In regards to the original posters question, the answer is finding an eq setting for all in the band. Many times a player will go into a band setting with his or her bedroom tone, which sounds good by itself, but completely blows in a band setting.

I would say sit down with everyone in the band to accomplish this. Remind them it is about how the bands sounds as a whole, not their individual tone.

• Members

make that boost your mids, and I would say yes. If you scooped them out, you will probably lose yourself in the mix even more.

Dunno...In our band (2 guitars, keyboards, 4 singers, mic'd drums, sax) the bass would just be adding to the confusion in the middle. Our bass player seems to get really good articulation (active Jazz into an SVT w/6-10s) by emphasiizing the lows and highs and staying out of the vocal/guitar zone.

• Members

Dunno...In our band (2 guitars, keyboards, 4 singers, mic'd drums, sax) the bass would just be adding to the confusion in the middle. Our bass player seems to get really good articulation (active Jazz into an SVT w/6-10s) by emphasiizing the lows and highs and staying out of the vocal/guitar zone.

I hear ya, I was just going off of what the original poster was referring to, where you have low tuned guitars that eat into the bass frequency, much like most metal bands do.

In your situation, with well eq'ed guitars into the band setting, you can do just what you said and sound good. It all depends on how the band as a whole is eq'ed.

• Members

Is it upper mids or low mids that are the best for boosting? I've forgotten and it would be appreciated for a gig on Thursday. Also how much should I boost em by. If the EQ is at 12 Oclock should I go to 3 or even 5 on my main mid (5 band)?

I usually boost my low mids if any at all. I try not to boost at all, but rather drop the frequencies around where I want more eq at.

• Members

I usually boost my low mids if any at all. I try not to boost at all, but rather drop the frequencies around where I want more eq at.

That's usually what I try, I was just checking to see if anyone had any other magic remedies. Too much of the lows gets overpowering, and sometimes the 'mid-mids' can muddy it up. The lower mids seem to be where I can best shape my tone.

Damon

• Members

It's also known as "slotting"...most decent sound guys know how to slot the EQ so that there is less "overlap" among freqs, which if not done properly can then lead to a situation known in the industry as "sounding like {censored}".

Most guitarists who are quilty always sem to play Les Pauls...so avoid them at all costs.

• Members

It's also known as "slotting"...most decent sound guys know how to slot the EQ so that there is less "overlap" among freqs, which if not done properly can then lead to a situation known in the industry as "sounding like {censored}".

Most guitarists who are quilty always sem to play Les Pauls...so avoid them at all costs.

:lol: I am familiar with SLS syndrome.

• Members

Auralex Gramma boards help a lot , as does cutting bass and low mids from the guitar . It's really the art of mixing though , same thing happens when recording , but without the room affecting it which can add more problems . I think a small combo amp helps alot as well but the geetar player may be against giving up his full stack . Also the lower the stage volume the better the soundman can mix , so if you all really care about the listener experience than turn down get the drummer to control his hits and you'll be off to a good start . easily said right :D:blah::D

• Members

I am talking about rehersal sound, where the only thing running through our PA is vocals and Keys, and our keyboard player uses a very small practice amp as his own keyboard monitor. The guitarist uses a Vox, i think it has two 12" speakers, or maybe just one. I have an Eden WT 800 through 1x15 and 2x12 cabinets. It isn't like the volume in the room is that overpowering, so it must be an EQ thing.

At live shows, it's up to the soundman, so I don't even worry about it.

Damon

Archived