The fitness thread!!!!

ec437

• Members

In the past few months I've lost 2-3 pounds, gotten my resting heart rate down ~25 BPM (to 60 BPM), reduced my 5k time by >8 minutes (today I ran a 24:42), and reduced my mile time by ~3 minutes (this week I ran a 7:19). I'm still having trouble not eating anything and everything cause I LOVE FOOD!!!! And I'm not all that fat to start with so its hard to have any motivation to lose weight when you don't really need to....

Short term goals:

5k under 21:30

1 mile under 6:34 (my previous PR from years ago)

run a half marathon

lose 4 more pounds (hopefully get body fat under 7%)

Long term goals:

5k under 20:00

1 mile under 6:00

Run a marathon and get a decent time

Climb mount hood!

Does anyone else want to share their goals?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless you are pushing yourself to extremes, most sports supplements will have no real effect [other than a possible placebo effect]. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables is the way to go. The only exception to this is isotonic sports drinks which will help most people rehydrate and help muscles recover.
When I was playing sport seriously [about 10 years ago] I didn't need to change my diet at all. Since then I've got married, started a family and got quite out of shape. I'm getting a fair amount of exercise now, but I'm quite overweight and I'm making slow progress [although my resting pulse and lung function are still very good].

• Members

I'm training to get ready for Basic Training (US Army), for which I leave 5 April. I've been following the CrossFit method for the last few weeks and have seen significant gains in strength (two weeks ago, I could barely deadlift 200 pounds - today I did 305), endurance and flexibility. The basic premise is to do exercises that mimic movements one might do in any given situation, also known as functional movements. Squats (who knows when you might need to carry someone on your back?), deadlift (picking stuff up), dips and pullups (climbing over things), and many other exercises. CrossFit is geared toward military, law enforcement and fire personnel, but athletes of all sorts have found it to be tremedously helpful.

Here's yesterday's workout:

5 rounds for time:

20 Pullups

30 Pushups

40 Situps

50 Squats (just body weight)

I got through round four and was about to start round 5, but I figured everyone would best be served if I just hung around the garbage can for a while, until Pukie the Clown decided to quit harrassing me. And this hasn't been the hardest workout I've done so far.

I highly recommend it!

nspbass

• Members

Couldn't tell ya. I just eat lots of eggs and tuna.

Careful how much tuna you eat. There is a lot of mercury in it. It can do some damage to your body. If you eat it more than twice each week I'd try to scale it back a little...especially if you eat eggs every day.

When I was going in to the Marines I basically worked a full time job in carpenty (framing houses), went home and ran 5 miles each day, then lifted after that. I was in the best shape of my life!!! Just ask my wife...but she'll say I was too skinny! I need to get back into that routine soon. Right now I just ride bikes all of the time (but not in the past few months...too cold!!!)

• Members

*snip*

That sounds a lot like the work out routines that we use for conditioning.

An example of our work out would be something like:

10 Burpies

15 Medicine ball slams

30 body weight squats

20 dumbbell raises

30 second break, repeat.

Anyone who works out and doesn't know what a burpie is should find out because they are, in my opinion as well as many others, the ultimate body-weight conditioning exercise. They require nothing but your body and minimal room.

We follow training advice from Ross Enamait of Rosstraining.com His routine is the one we used when I won the state Judo championships and his is the one I am following going into the national Judo championships.

It is a little scary when you see what kind of shape the guy is in.

As far as my goals go, I'd like to drop 15lbs by August at the minimum, more if possible, but my goal is 15 and I want to get my 100 burpies time to under 10 minutes.

• Members

I posted this once before, but I'll post it again for those looking to lose weight.

I always tell people who want to lose weight that they should stop drinking soda first. I've seen significant weight loss happen just by stopping that. Then I found this article that goes a bit more into detail about WHY...

http://healthbolt.net/2006/12/08/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

• Members

I posted this once before, but I'll post it again for those looking to lose weight.

I always tell people who want to lose weight that they should stop drinking soda first. I've seen significant weight loss happen just by stopping that. Then I found this article that goes a bit more into detail about WHY...

Doesn't surprise me, when I stopped drinking cola, I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks or so, didn't do anything else diffrently, just stopped drinking soda.

• Members

I lift weights 5 days a week and do cardio 3 days. My brother bodybuilds and competes in competitions. This summer I am going to take the ACE personal training exam to become a personal trainer.

For supps I take:
ON Whey--3 times a day
HP Creatine--either 5 times a day in loading phase or 2 times a day
Muscle Milk
Real Gains mass builder

Yes, protein bars are good for you and so is whey protein shakes.

• Members
Sure, I want to get my benchpress back up to atleast 350 - I'm currently at around 300 right now...

- georgestrings

Christ on a cracker :eek: I'm happy when i can bench my weight (160) When I was working out 3-4 days a week I was up to about 175. I'd be lucky if I could get 160 up twice at this point. I figure if something bigger than that lands on me then I'll have bigger problems then trying to get it off of me:D

• Members

Today is day 2 for me of not drinking soda! I'm drinking gatorade and lots of water to rehydrate. Caffein withdraw is a real bastard but it will be gone in a couple days.

Gatorade is actually pretty bad for you too. It's loaded with sugar so i wouldn't go nuts drinking it.

Archived