would you consider this a ric rip off

zesty brick

• Members

Nope, it doesn't even come close, if you ask me. I know you're referring to this bass:

4004c2.jpg

What I do see is one really cool looking bass from an overseas manufacturer who makes a good quality instrument for a great price. I play a Custom 5, and I get a lot of complements from people who love its sound and from musicians who are surprised by its great sound. Its intonation is great, tone is really deep, and notes articulate.

I have a Ric, Fender P, and fretless Fender J as well. I rely on each of my basses to be different and provide a different voice.

Good for Schecter, and I'm glad to see an interesting, inspiring body style; and I'm dang sure it has a distinct voice.

• Members

I think this is closer to Ric knockoff than the Schecter

344348.jpg

Ewww, no way - I don't know how you can even see any resemblance between that ugliness and a Ric. Blech. (It's nicely executed, but I hate that blobby upper horn style.)

• Members

Ric inspired maybe, but also influenced by 70s jazz bass. So no, it's not a rip off.

Thats what i thought when i first saw it.

I dig the {censored} out of it though, other than an Ibanez ATK300 its the only mid priced active out there i would consider playing.

• Members

if it was a Ric knock off. Rickenbacker would of pitched a {censored} fit and gotten it shut down. They seem to have a radar for things like that

I do think that bass is a bit Rick-like but not enough to get RIC after Schecter.

If RIC would turn off or even weaken their radar for infringers, they will lose their trademarks. That includes going after people selling their copies on ebay. That's the law!!!

Archived