who uses an Ampeg SVT410HLF cab here?

tenyearsgone

• Members

do you like it? :confused:

i have an opportunity to pick one up for pretty cheap, mint condition locally, and was thinking of selling off the PR-410HLF i have and replace it with the SVT410HLF.

i'll never put the watts into the PR to really make it sing, so the SVT seems better suited as it doesnt seem like the power hungry beast that the PR is..

opinions on the SVT410HLF? :confused:

• Members

2manband just picked one up pretty cheap. Shoot him a pm

:confused:

why? thanks anyway, but the one i can get here is local and close by, and a steal, i dont think the person knows what they have. it's technically not even used, it still has the new tags/stickers on it :thu:

• Members

:confused:
why? thanks anyway, but the one i can get here is local and close by, and a steal, i dont think the person knows what they have. it's technically not even used, it still has the new tags/stickers on it
:thu:

to get his opinon on it

• Members

i had one for one practice and one show. It was great in practice, played all the low notes beautifully and was really clear. but at the show it wasn't loud enough. No PA support, and we do a lot of shows like that, and outdoor stuff too so i traded mine in and upgraded to a 810. but the 410 was a great cab if you aren't doing real loud stuff, or have PA support.

• Members

i had one for one practice and one show. It was great in practice, played all the low notes beautifully and was really clear. but at the show it wasn't loud enough. No PA support, and we do a lot of shows like that, and outdoor stuff too so i traded mine in and upgraded to a 810. but the 410 was a great cab if you aren't doing real loud stuff, or have PA support.

I can't imagine what you were playing that a 410HLF wasn't loud enough. What kind of head were you running into it?

I have two (not because one isn't loud enough, but because I got a killer deal on a second one). Running my B4R into it will knock down walls.

It is a boomy cab compared to the non-ported 410, so take that into account. You may want to put it on casters or a platform to take some of the boom out of it.

• Members

I had one, and liked it a bunch. I've also had their CL410HE and a PR410HE For the money I don't think you can beat the Cl series cabs by Ampeg. Some of their 410s are set up sort of funny so that there's a lot of pressure put on the first 10 and if it goes, it shuts down the rest of the cab, but not all are wired that way.

I traded mine for an Eden D410XLT that I like a whole lot better, but again, for the money, they tend to be very nice and road worthy cabs.

• Members

I can't imagine what you were playing that a 410HLF wasn't loud enough. What kind of head were you running into it?

I have two (not because one isn't loud enough, but because I got a killer deal on a second one). Running my B4R into it will knock down walls.

It is a boomy cab compared to the non-ported 410, so take that into account. You may want to put it on casters or a platform to take some of the boom out of it.

It was just a big indoor show, and the cab was farting out. I knew it wasn't my amp since i had borrowed an 810 for the shows during the previous weekend and it had no problem. my amp is a Trace Elliot AH350SMX.

• Members

Incidentally, someone metioned the cabs that Bailey and Wooten designed. There were several odd configurations, none of which did well, but I still have one of the best of those, the Isovent which is 2 15s in a push/pull clamshell configuration and 2 10s. It is set up for straight use, or bi-amping and was the motivation for buying my Eden WT800. Great cab, if you ever see one of these, grab it.

MVC-736S.jpg

• CMS Author

I JUST RETURNED A SVT410HLF TO AMS. I'M SURE MY SVT 4 PRO WAS TOO POWERFUL FOR THE CAB. A LOCAL SALESMAN ADVISED THAT THE PRO HLF IS A BETTER MATCH FOR MY AMP. WHAT DO YOUTHINK?

I had the PR cab with a -4PRO for a year and it was fine.

FWIW, the OP is FITH for getting rid of a PR, IMHO.:D

• Members

I have one. I love it. It can get a little boomy. But it is very powerful, will handle about anything you throw at it. I set mine on a small stand and never have a booming issue anymore. Very punchy. I power it with one side of a Peavey Kilobass.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I had one, and it was too indistinct for me. Was using an SVT 3 Pro at the time, and was pretty new to bass, so half of the issue was probably me :) I have an avatar NEO 410 now, and I love it. The HLF is a beast to move, while the the Avatar gets about 90% of the low end, but at half the weight and twice (IIRC the HLF was 500 watts) the power handling.

Archived