Any HCBF love for MLS (futebol)?

RoboChrist

• Members

I'm just curious about the popularity of Major League Soccer in here--if any:confused: ..my town is debuting it's expansion team in April, we've got a purpose-built stadium under construction so people around here think it's going to be a huge success.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I love soccer...but I've never actually seen an MLS game (tv or otherwise)..

Any fans in here? Is it a joke league?

• Members

I'm a HUGE fan of the game. Of course, most of Columbus feels that they get no love from the league. First, they send away our best players, then they never get us anybody to replace them.:mad:

Still, if I hadn't torn my second ACL, I'd still be playing!:thu:

• Members

I like DC United and The New York Red Bulls. I only got into soccer/football recently so I completely missed out when I had an MLS home team to root for (the Tampa Bay Mutiny as Y-O-Y was so nice to remind me of a month or so ago :mad::D )

I also like the UK Premiership in which I like Manchester United ( I am a Wayne Rooney fan!)

• Members

Cool. I was expecting crickets when I posted this thread...at least I know there are some fans of the league in here so maybe it'll be worth it to catch a match or two. Add to that the fact that the Toronto FC team coach in his playing days was the first Catholic ever to play for the Glasgow Rangers bodes well...at least he'll be tough as sh*t

Beckham's due to arrive in August:)

• Members

i'm a fan of the game but haven't really seen any of the games. i plan on catching more of it.

The games are a lot of fun...it is a little heavy on the soccer moms and AYSO kids, but the level of talent in the league is improving and there is a lot of parity across the league.

• Members

Do they still have no draws and penalty shoot out in case of one?

I'm a big fan of football/soccer and play it when I have free time. I also try to watch some games in the English premiership every weekend and some games of the champions league.

• Members

I'm hoping that they are going to show some of the MLS on fox down under. They've recently started showing the english championship which i am loving (apart from every televised game being cardiff or burnley!) being a leciester city fan. If they add the MLS it will give me the premier league, championship, A-League, Asian champions League and the La Liga to watch!

• Members

The only time I've ever enjoyed a soccer ball was when I was in a padded white room coming off of a REAL bad trip, and they gave me one so there would be at least SOME contrast in the room. You'd be amazed the kind of trails you see when a black and white soccer ball is whizzing around a shock white room under 5000w of florescent lights.:thu:

:p

C7

• Members

Do they still have no draws and penalty shoot out in case of one?

I'm a big fan of football/soccer and play it when I have free time. I also try to watch some games in the English premiership every weekend and some games of the champions league.

nope. Those attempts at "americanizing" the game (shoutouts to eliminate ties and clocks that counted down instead of up) were abandoned years ago. we have draws and everything, just like the big kids now :eek:

MLS does however has a playoff system at the end of the season to determine who the league champion is...

• Members

Here's the team logo. I'm pretty anal when it comes to logos, especially in a town where we have a blue jay, a blue leaf, everything has to be blue in this town! and a basketball team that wears purple. They could have done a lot worse:

TorontoFClogo.jpg

• Members

And you haven't seen our new purpose-built open air stadium yet. Season ends in November and I plan on marketing something...maybe a team branded genital warmer.
:eek:

Well the season in Iceland starts in March and ends in October, I think you will do fine in Toronto.

Also, good thing you got rid of the americanized rules with draws. Next thing to go, the playoffs!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hardcore Everton fan here (for those of you who don't know, they're an English team).

No love for MLS though. I went to plenty of games before the Fire moved to Bridgeview and could never get into it. From the few games I've watched since I got back from Amsterdam last fall, though, the on-field product has clearly improved since then.

• Members

The guys I moved in with over the summer got me into it, and I enjoy it (although I've fallen off the train a bit lately...until a few days ago I thought the season was over a while ago).

Went to see two DC United games a month or two ago and had a ton of fun. The first time was better because we were sitting directly behind Barra Brava, the official fan club or something. They go nuts over everything that happens, so we were able to draw from their energy for a good amount of the game.

I have to say, I was amazed at how much smaller the field looks when you're at the game, in comparison to seeing it on tv.

Fun stuff.

Archived