I hate Algebra

randomhero2006

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

his X's are right

The way you do them, they can be easily confused with the 'x' multiplication operator
:)

I think that's why beyond grade school most classes have kids using a dot or * (on a computer) instead of x. Is that different in Europe?

I always liked algebra because it seemed like it didn't much matter how you did the problems. As long as you followed the basic math rules anything that got you where you wanted to go was fair game, it has kind of a creative aspect.

• Members
math3.jpg

Well look, when you see 'x' written as an algebraic variable, in text books and the like, it's always a stylised, lower-case x. I suppose it looks weird, if you're not used to it, but those are the 'x's that Newton used when he wrote his Principia Mathematica. Those are the 'x's that made the world what it is!!

Respect the 'x' is what I'm trying to say :thu:

• Members
find-x.jpg

An old country carpenter can tell you exactly how to use this to tell if a room he's laying out is square. He'd measure off 6 feet on one side and 8 feet on the other. If the distance between the two points isn't 10 feet, he'll know that the room isn't square.

Old country carpenters are smart. :thu:

• Members

Well look, when you see 'x' written as an algebraic variable, in text books and the like, it's always a stylised, lower-case x. I suppose it looks weird, if you're not used to it, but those are the 'x's that Newton used when he wrote his
Principia Mathematica
. Those are the 'x's that made the world what it is!!

Respect the 'x' is what I'm trying to say
:thu:

I just think the two lines should intersect, when they look like two parenthesis it doesn't read "X" in my head!

• Members
An old country carpenter can tell you exactly how to use this to tell if a room he's laying out is square. He'd measure off 6 feet on one side and 8 feet on the other. If the distance between the two points isn't 10 feet, he'll know that the room isn't square.

Old country carpenters are smart.
:thu:

Yeah, well, if they're so smart then why haven't they found a cure for aging?

Ahhh!! I got you there!

Archived