OT: Tips for traveling in Europe

Phantasm

• Members

Eddie Izzard giving advice to Americans travelling in Europe:

"Number one, say you're Canadian."

:D

Favourite cities: Barcelona, Paris... better than either Amsterdam or London I think. But it depends what you want to do.

A friend of mine just got back from a week in Paris, and it's made me realise that despite having been there three or four times already, I really, really, need to get back there soon, there's still stuff I haven't seen or done there yet.

Bob

• Members

another question. how old are you?

when i was younger the railpass was a great way to go. but i wouldn't do it now.

I'm 31 and she's 29. We're thinking about it because we have no kids and once/if we do have kids it may never happen.

• Members

If you have a few days, go to Dingle, cty. Kerry, on the west coast, and take a drive around the point to a statue of Mary; it's the westernmost point in Europe, and the scenery is awesome

C7

Ahem, Iceland is part of Europe, and is way further west :p

On the orginal topic, choose an area or two and stay there and explore. I've been around all Europe and the cities I like the most are Verona, Lyon, Ghent, Copenhagen and Munich. Trains are the way to travel over there, but it is also fun to rent a car and drive around.

For a 2 week trip on a rental car I would recommend flying to Munich, rent a car, stay 2 or 3 days there. Drive to Austria, stop in Innsbruck or Vienna if you don't mind the extra drive. Drive down to Italy, stop in Milano, Verona and maybe Venice if you don't mind the touristy madness and very high prices. Relax for a few days near Lake Garda, drive to Milano and fly back home.

If you plan to come to Iceland, let me know, I could show you around and such, maybe even offer a sofa to sleep on for a few nights.

• Members

if we are going to explore the countryside, we'll get a car. driving in major European cities is fairly stressful. traffic is insane, nothing is marked, signage is in a foreign language. it's not easy. and there's usually nowhere to park a car.

if you do get a car, invest in the best maps you can find.

my recommendation would be Paris and one other European city. take the train. relax.

• Members

if we are going to explore the countryside, we'll get a car. driving in major European cities is fairly stressful. traffic is insane, nothing is marked, signage is in a foreign language. it's not easy. and there's usually nowhere to park a car.

my recommendation would be Paris and one other European city. take the train. relax.

Driving in Paris is indeed insane, but I have had no problems driving in other large cities, especialy in Germany and Italy. Just when you are going into a big city, find a parking way outside the center and take a bus or a metro downtown and spend the day on foot.

But trains are also a great way to travel.

• Members

Most European cities were not really designed with cars in mind, since they predate the invention by several hundred years at least ;) We didn't have the advantage of being able to plan urbanisation in the post-Henry Ford climate

The train system in France is, from what I have heard, really rather good...in fact I believe most if not all of mainland Europe has it better than the UK as far as public transport goes.

• Members

Most European cities were not really designed with cars in mind, since they predate the invention by several hundred years at least
;)
We didn't have the advantage of being able to plan urbanisation in the post-Henry Ford climate

The train system in France is, from what I have heard, really rather good...in fact I believe most if not all of mainland Europe has it better than the UK as far as public transport goes.

Transport in Europe is generally very good. Paris has an excellent metro, The Netherlands' public transport system is outstanding. Best subway system I've yet used however was in Athens. Incredibly efficient, cheap, utterly spotless and punctual.

Archived