OT: Tips for traveling in Europe

Phantasm

• Members

So we just filed our taxes and the return will be pretty nice, so my wife wants to try going to Europe.

She wants to go to Paris, probably London, and Ireland.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about doing this. I know that Jazz Ad is in France and he has offered to assist us with choices if we ever chose to visit, but I'm not sure exactly how the rest would go.

Has anyone traveled in Europe and has any advice? I know I'm being sort of vague but I've barely been around the United States much less traveling to another country.

• Members

Apply for passports now. The delay can be frustrating with the new rules.

Plan a destination. I'd rather stay a week or more in one place rather than 2-days here, 2-days there, 2-days at the next place.

Plan a timeframe. Summers are crazy in Europe. Avoid August like the plague. April, May and Sept are excellent times.

I love the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. London is my favorite city - followed by Amsterdam. I've never been to France or Italy but ...in the future maybe.

We'll be in London in Sept. My wife worked for HSBC in Brazil and worked with the London folks a lot. She's so excited. I've been there three times previously and from a historial perspective, it's excellent.

Do your research - it's not difficult. No reason to be intimidated!

• Members

Apply for passports now. The delay can be frustrating with the new rules.

Plan a destination. I'd rather stay a week or more in one place rather than 2-days here, 2-days there, 2-days at the next place.

Plan a timeframe. Summers are crazy in Europe. Avoid August like the plague. April, May and Sept are excellent times.

I love the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. London is my favorite city - followed by Amsterdam. I've never been to France or Italy but ...in the future maybe.

We'll be in London in Sept. My wife worked for HSBC in Brazil and worked with the London folks a lot. She's so excited. I've been there three times previously and from a historial perspective, it's excellent.

Do your research - it's not difficult. No reason to be intimidated!

All great points. One more thing that I would add is to get to know the money system, i.e. what cent, euro, etc... looks like. It can get pretty frustrating for all parties involved when you hold up a line while you check the coins to see what's what. I'll be in southern France and Italy again in June. :thu:

• Members

All great points. One more thing that I would add is to get to know the money system, i.e. what cent, euro, etc... looks like. It can get pretty frustrating for all parties involved when you hold up a line while you check the coins to see what's what. I'll be in southern France and Italy again in June.
:thu:

You can also exchange money at international airports here in the states. When I went to England a couple years ago from Newark International, we waited until we got to our hotel before exchanging money and got a lousy rate. You get better rates at banks and some big department stores. Upon returning to Newark Int, I happened to notice the currency exchange tucked in a corner on my way out and found they had the best exchange rates.

Driving in England was a lot of fun and isn't that difficult, really. You have to understand the protocol of entering and exiting a roundabout and you can find that on the internet. You can also find similar circles in New Jersey and other states and cities. Driving in smaller cities like Bristol and Bath weren't too difficult, but the big centers like London may be daunting. ( I didn't go to London...)

• Members

Re exchange rates... I believe that any atm will always be better than hotels, banks, etc. Most bank cards are in at least one network that you'll find internationally and it gets easier every year.

Baixo is correct. 1st choice is to use ATMs for cash.

• Members

Driving in England was a lot of fun and isn't that difficult, really. You have to understand the protocol of entering and exiting a roundabout and you can find that on the internet. You can also find similar circles in New Jersey and other states and cities. Driving in smaller cities like Bristol and Bath weren't too difficult, but the big centers like London may be daunting. ( I didn't go to London...)

You are correct on some points.

It is fun is your not pissed.

And the English have the BEST and only WORKABLE PROTOCOL for circles (roundabouts). The French system is well??? What would you expect?

Complete anarchy and does not work with more than half a dozen vehicles!:D :D :D :D :D

• Members

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Feel free to keep contributing!

I know my wife really wants to go to Ireleand, and I'd like to go to France. I guess that's because my heritage is French and hers is Irish. You are all probably right that we should pick one place and try to concentrate on that.

I wish they had some sort of "european tour package" that you could buy and they drag you around to hit all the high points. I'm sure that exists but I have no idea how to find it.

Taking time off isn't a big issue for us, we get plenty of it and we work for the same company. It will all depend on how expensive it becomes to take the trip.

• Members

"Hitting the high points of Europe" is what Europeans laugh at us for. Can you imagine saying "I want to go to the U.S. for a week and just hit the high points"? The U.S. is a huge place, Europe likewise has more than you can possibly go see blitzkreig-style in a week or two. My advice, having lived overseas for the better part of six years, is go to one or two more meaningful places, spend quality time there, and see if you can pick up the groove of living there for the time. Hopefully you can hang with a few locals, do some less touristy things. I spent three years mostly just in the Netherlands. I still didn't see all that I could, but I did spend lots of time with the people, getting a feel for life there, and participating as much as I could given my Yank status and lack of Dutch. Likewise, when I went to Scotland, I picked one town and spent my entire time there just kicking around on foot, seeing things, drinking with the local folks. It was a good time! Much better than shredding up maps, tearing from place to place in cars and trains and planes, worrying worrying worrying. I tried to leave my American lifestyle on the CONUS. I think I was successful.

• Members

"Hitting the high points of Europe" is what Europeans laugh at us for. Can you imagine saying "I want to go to the U.S. for a week and just hit the high points"? The U.S. is a huge place, Europe likewise has more than you can possibly go see blitzkreig-style in a week or two. My advice, having lived overseas for the better part of six years, is go to one or two more meaningful places, spend quality time there, and see if you can pick up the groove of living there for the time. Hopefully you can hang with a few locals, do some less touristy things. I spent three years mostly just in the Netherlands. I still didn't see all that I could, but I did spend lots of time with the people, getting a feel for life there, and participating as much as I could given my Yank status and lack of Dutch. Likewise, when I went to Scotland, I picked one town and spent my entire time there just kicking around on foot, seeing things, drinking with the local folks. It was a good time! Much better than shredding up maps, tearing from place to place in cars and trains and planes, worrying worrying worrying. I tried to leave my American lifestyle on the CONUS. I think I was successful.

Amen.

It's the best way to feel truly abroad and catch the vibe of a region. No fun in being dragged around in a bus with 30 fellow Americans for three weeks, being driven from the Eiffel tower to the Collosseum and Nelson's Column.

• Members

I'll echo the others in saying that you're better off exploring a region or two in depth rather than seeing Sevilla, Rome, Athens, Vienna, Prague, Warsaw, Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Brussels and Paris...

Sticking to the "Euro" zone will help avoind exchange rate headaches and currency confusion, but the UK is outside of that area, so you might have to bear with Pounds and Pences...

As far as destination goes, it depends on your interests... London, Paris and Rome are very different places, so reading up a bit can be very useful (I suggest the "Lonely Planet" guide to Europe as a general starting point, and then more specific guides for the regions or cities you will be targeting...)

It can be interesting (though a little more challenging...) to stray off the beaten path and go into small towns in Bed and Breakfasts, in order to have a better feel of the "real" people, and not just of the touristic areas...

As far as language goes, in all touristic areas it is usually possible to get along perfectly fine with english in most of western Europe, and it will be a little more difficult but still possible in Eastern Europe (which has some cultural treasures such as Prague...

• Members

Re exchange rates... I believe that any atm will always be better than hotels, banks, etc. Most bank cards are in at least one network that you'll find internationally and it gets easier every year.

:thu:

use your debit card and keep plenty in the bank to support it or find an internet access to top up.

currencies are a pain...different ones...

but you should get by easily with plenty euro

as for london..its packed with things to see and do..historically and culturally

dont forget to wave to mummy:wave:

• Members

So we just filed our taxes and the return will be pretty nice, so my wife wants to try going to Europe.

She wants to go to Paris, probably London, and Ireland.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about doing this. I know that Jazz Ad is in France and he has offered to assist us with choices if we ever chose to visit, but I'm not sure exactly how the rest would go.

Has anyone traveled in Europe and has any advice? I know I'm being sort of vague but I've barely been around the United States much less traveling to another country.

Cool, if you need any help with Ireland i'm here. :wave:

• Members

I travel around Europe quite a bit with work. I use Schiphol airport near Amsterdam as a node to fly to most other places. It's got great connections but can take a long time to walk form one end of the airport to the other. I would also recommend sticking to countrys where you can use Euros - it makes things really easy. BTW don't expect to see that much of Europe. It can take you quite a few days to see all the sights in just 1 historic town/city. I'm going to take the missus to Prague during the summer for a weekend - I'm really looking forward to it.

• Members

Phantasm, how long are you looking to go for?

Paris and London are both good for a week, easy.

given a choice, i'd go to France every time. (i lived in London, it's lost its allure)

There are numerous day trips from Paris - Versailles (a must) and Reims (HCBF mods live there, a place of power). Further afield is Chartes, or Normandy.

learn some rudimentary French.

and don't wear matching track suits with fanny packs.

EDIT

here's a couple of sites i've used for booking my trips

www.france.com

and

www.parisby.com

the last one works for most of Europe as well. both sites safe and easy.

• Members

This is not true at all, especially for somebody living in Louisiana all year long. :)

Summer is hot indeed but will feel tame to most southerners.

Train is the best way to travel. It's easy to get anywhere and pretty cheap especially if you get a Eurail Pass.

Stations are usually set downtown of cities so you won't need a car unless you want to escape to the countryside.

There are many things to do and many places to see in Europe. It's a concentrated place and unless you spend several years around here, it's impossible to see it all. You'd better set centers of interest and spots you really want to see.

You both are welcome to my place for as long as you want. I'm about 80 minutes from Paris and CDG Airport is on my way. I can easily pick you up and tour you around in Paris. Just send a pm if you need anything.

• Members

Those rail passes are pretty good. Some friends of mine are going around Europe this summer with them. All you need is your rail pass and your passport and it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Summers are tame. Especially if you visit Scotland! :D

Man I really want to go back to Barcelona!

• Members

Make sure you advertise that you're an American, by sewing a flag patch on your backpack, wearing a baseball cap and baggy shorts, and packing a pistol.

:D

I spent a month in Ireland, and all I can say is, don't get caught up in the touristy {censored} in Dublin. If you have a few days, go to Dingle, cty. Kerry, on the west coast, and take a drive around the point to a statue of Mary; it's the westernmost point in Europe, and the scenery is awesome. There are also a bunch of ancient beehive huts over there to check out, and everyone in that area speaks Irish.

Also try to make it to the Cliffs of Moher, and Ennis. :thu:

C7

Archived