alt.country

jewbles

• Members

Alt/Country is pretty subjective.

Check out Nickel Creek, Drive By Truckers & Southern Culture On The Skids.

Dammit thats what i was gonna say-- plus Wilco, and BR549. I love SCOTS! Mary Huff threw fried chicken at my chest last year!

• Members

Alt. Country covers a lot of stuff, so this may or may not be what you are looking for, but if your taste runs to the acoustic country/folk/bluegrass end of things then might enjoy some of the videos or audio at http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

the vids are rather large (150 to 160 MB) and really work best with high speed internet, but you can download them on dial up,I've done it, but it takes 2 or 3 hours each. Also, they are in .wma format so if you have a Mac you will have to find something to play them.

Some that I like and that to me are Alt County include:

Show 416 Chris Thile & The How To Grow A Band

Show 287 Chris Thile & Mike Marshall

Show 199 Chris Thile & Bryan Sutton

Show 395 Bela Fleck and The Flecktones - Vic on one of the few electric basses I have seen on Woodsongs, and Roy on real drums (you also might like show 424 with Roy Wooten playing a plywood box and making it sound good, but it isn't Alt Country)

Show 380 BR549

Show 425 The Infamous Stringdusters (almost bluegrass, with a bluegrass background, but some real up and comers that I think will be around for a long time)

Show 379 Abigail Washburn

Show 386 Uncle Earl

Show 221 Uncle Earl (audio only)

Show 262 Aoife Clancy

Show 394 Crooked Still

Show 242 Jim Lauderdale & Steep Canyon Rangers

Show 273 Leftover Salmon (almost bluegrass) & Del McCoury Band (really, really bluegrass)

Show 299 Adrienne Young and Little Sadie & Tony Furtado

Show 323 Burrito Deluxe - one of the last shows by the recently passed Sneaky Pete Kleinow

Lee Rocker and Dave Pomeroy (Show 390) are fun to watch if you like upright bass players

Really, almost every show is worth the time to watch and I have not seen them all. Probably lots of others would interest you.

Being an older guy I tend to like the older acts like Burrito Deluxe, Roger McGuinn, John McEuen, Janis Ian, Delbert McClinton, and Rodney Crowell but I'm not sure that is what you are looking for. And the banjo pickers, lots of those on Woodsongs.

Tommy Emmanuel gets talked about a lot over at HCAG. He has 3 shows still up on the site. If you like fingerpicked guitar he is pretty good at it.

Anyway, just some ideas, don't know if it will be any help or not.

I almost always download the vids instead of streaming them. That way I can skip Micheal Jonathan talking ( or singing, which is even worse). I'm really not a fan of his, but I love watching his radio show.

• Members

Your life is incomplete without experiencing:

Bad Livers and/or Danny Barnes - check out "Industry & Thrift" and "Blood & Mood"

Hank Williams III (not Hank Jr.) live with or without Assjack - Unfortunately none of the recordings capture the absolutely awesome live experience. Once you survived a HankIII show, you're life will never be the same again.

Anything and everything by Dave Alvin, but especially "King of California", "Interstate City", and "West of the West"

Gillian Welch - "Revival" and "Hell Among the Yearlings"

The Supersuckers - "Must've Been High"

Same Ugly Town - "Same Ugly Town"

Willie Nelson - "Teatro"

Anything and everything by Emmylou Harris, but especially "Red Dirt Girl", and "Wrecking Ball"

Tish Hinojosa - "Frontejas"

Alejandro Escovedo - "With These Hands" and "By the Hand of the Father"

The Be Good Tanyas - "Blue Horse"

Kelly Joe Phelps - "Roll Away the Stone"

the Texas Tornadoes - "the Best of...."

Chipper Thompson - "Penny Dreadfuls"

Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion - "Exploration"

Slaid Cleaves - "Wishbones"

Darrell Scott - "the Invisible Man"

Tim O'Brien - "the Crossing" and "Two Journeys"

Sally Timms - "In the World of Him"

Guy Clark - "Boats to Build" and "Dublin Blues"

Toni Price - "Swim Away"

Carlene Carter - "Little Love Letters"

Vic Chestnutt - "The Salesman and Bernadette"

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - "Frenzy"

Jason & the Scorchers - "Both Sides of the Line"

Billy Bragg - "Mermaid Avenue"

AND, saving the best for last.....

EVERYTHING by Steve Earle, but especially "El Corazon", "Train a Comin", and "I Feel Alright"

Now, some a you all might be saying, "That ain't all country, some o its bluegrass or folk or americana or texmex or somesuch", but I say labels don't often apply (to the REALLY good stuff anyway) and all o this is close enough in my book.

And.....since the crap coming out of Nashville these days that they call country is such utter dreck, don't forget to return to the true source and pay your respects to Hank, Merle, and Johnny.

Enjoy, d.

• Members

Son volt, Uncle Tupelo, and you have to find a copy of "Achin to be" by the Replacements. Sometimes credited with spawning the No Depression movement.

It's hard for me to believe it took 15 replies to get to Uncle Tupelo.

Good thread, I like this stuff but didn't know a number of these bands.

Also try:

Neko Case (her older stuff is more alt country, newer stuff more pop. My favorite female singer right now)

Sadies (the play lots of genres, including alt co.)

Edit:

Also the Jayhawks from the Uncle Tupelo era, more pop than some, though.

• Members

It's hard for me to believe it took 15 replies to get to Uncle Tupelo.

Good thread, I like this stuff but didn't know a number of these bands.

Also try:

Neko Case (her older stuff is more alt country, newer stuff more pop. My favorite female singer right now)

Sadies (the play lots of genres, including alt co.)

Edit:

Also the Jayhawks from the Uncle Tupelo era, more pop than some, though.

Yeah, I had to stick up for mah boys :) Forgot about Jayhawks though, silly me. Say Gary Louris open for Jay Farrar when he was on the Third Shift tour. Great show!!

• Members

Haven't seen Whiskeytown mentioned. They're pretty good. If you want to get into the sort of bands that influenced a lot of today's artists check out some Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros stuff. It's good old time country for sure.

Bottle Rockets too. Townes Van Zandt is another.

Archived