alt.country

jewbles

• Members

Billy Bragg & Wilco Mermaid Avenue

awesome album.

Wilco is pretty much can't miss.

Yes yes. Great album. Volume 1 is one of my wife's favorites. Vol 2 is OK. Wilco is one of my favorite bands, but they haven't been alt country since Summer Teeth came out. I wonder if their new one Blue Sky Blue (due in May) might be back to roots and alt country a little more from what I've heard live.

• Members

Billy Bragg & Wilco
Mermaid Avenue

Yes yes. Great album. Volume 1 is one of my wife's favorites. Vol 2 is OK. Wilco is one of my favorite bands, but they haven't been alt country since Summer Teeth came out. I wonder if their new one
Blue Sky Blue
(due in May) might be back to roots and alt country a little more from what I've heard live.

I thought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot had some very country moments. But I would definitely say that they are pushing the boundaries of the genre (probably why I like them so much).

I heard most of the sneak preview for Blue Sky Blue that they had on their site the other day and although I didn't get to just sit and listen, it seemed like it was leaning back towards their roots.

• Members
... If you want to get into the sort of bands that influenced a lot of today's artists check out some Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros stuff....

:p

I was in a band with (one of) the drummer of the Flying Burrito Bros. Killer drummer - nice guy!

Also, for more contemporary stuff, check out Eric Heatherly (electric rockabilly) and Bering Strait (bluegrass/country fusion). One of my favorite CD's, though more country-flavored, is the "Notorious Cherry Bombs."

Archived