Plumbing is the spawn of Satan!

Mudbass

• Members

God created the Earth in six days and on the seventh day he rested and while God was resting the Devil snuck in and created plumbing.

Last Saturday I replaced the sink, vanity and faucet in one of our bathrooms. An hour to rip out the old stuff, an hour and a half to install the new stuff and 4 hours to stop the {censored}ing leaks.

On Sunday I replaced the sink, faucet and disposal in the kitchen. An hour to rip out the old stuff, 3 hours to install the new stuff and 4 days later I'm still chasing leaks. I swear to God, next time a take on a plumbing project I'm just going to weld everything. :mad:

• Members

What is leaking? Sweat copper? PVC? Threaded fittings? Compression joints?

+1

I was teaching my students Wednesday night how to do some copper soldering as well as how to properly tighten compression fittings. We've been working with threaded piping for weeks now.

• Members

+1

I was teaching my students Wednesday night how to do some copper soldering as well as how to properly tighten compression fittings. We've been working with threaded piping for weeks now.

I hope you're figuring in a segment on PEX - it's the future, man!

:thu:

• Members

Of all the household/homeowner activities there are, I enjoy plumbing most (drywalling the least).

What is leaking? Sweat copper? PVC? Threaded fittings? Compression joints?

In the bathroom it was the shutoff valves. I get everything together and the old shutoff valves decided to drip, drip, drip. Okay, back to the hardware store for new shutoff valves. Intall the new valves and drip, drip from the compression fittings. Tighten the fittings, drip, drip, drip. Tighten them some more, drip, drip, drip. {censored}. Pull the new valves off to check for dirt or debris, but now the compression rings are crushed. Back to the hardware store for new compression rings.

Cleaned the copper pipes with steel wool until they're nice and shiny. Install new compression rings and valves. It looks like that worked. Come back an hour later and the bottom of the vanity is wet. {censored}! Grab the biggest wrech I own and crank down the fittings with every ounce of strength I have. Finally, that did it.

In the kitchen, I should have learned my lesson about old shutoff valves from the bathroom and bought new ones while I was at the hardware store, but nooooo. I get the sink, disposal and faucet set and drip, drip, drip from the shutoff valves. Mutherfacker! Back to the hardware store. The folks at the hardware store have started greeting me by first name at this point. Install the new valves and all is right with the world. Then the hose from the disposal to the air gap turns out to be too short. Ahhhh! Back to the hardware store. The cashier asks me if I'd like to come to their Christmas party. I get the new hose installed and notice the water fittings to the faucet have started to drip. Grab a wrench and tighten them down. Okay, everything is installed and nothing is leaking.

Monday. Ran the dishwasher for the first time since the operation. Water everywhere. WTF!!! The hose I installed from the air gap and to the disposal is too long and water from the dishwasher is blowing out the top of the air gap. I cut the hose so it's just a short straight down hill shot from the air gap to the disposal. Tighten the clamp on the hose, clamp breaks.

Tuesday. Back to the hardware store for new clamp. Cashier asks me to marry her (she's convinced by now I must have lots of money). Install new clamp on hose.

Wednesday. Run dishwasher again. Air gap fine, look under sink for leaks; it's wet. The compression fitting on one of the valves has been dripping ever so slowly. Bloody hell! Crank down on the fitting until it screams for mercy.

Thursday. Out of town on business.

Friday morning. Come home and the house isn't flooded, this is a good sign. Check under the sink and nothing is leaking, but I'm scared to death to touch anything cause I don't want to spend this weekend running back and forth to the hardware store.

• Members

Hire a licensed plumber
:idea:

Good luck with it all
:thu:

No {censored}! I'm a pretty handy guy. I can do electrical. I can wire up a ceiling fan or wire your garage for 220V. I can do carpentry, lay linoleum or even a ceramic tile floor. Paint, repair/replace sheetrock or build a computer from spare parts...but plumbing drives me out of my skull. I'm just no good at it.

• Members

I agree. Plumbing is the Devil's creation. I always joked around and told people that I could look at a pipe and it would leak. Everyone thought I was crazy until on evening I was scrounging under the kitchen sink to find the dishwashing soap and I happened to glance at the water lines going to the faucet. At that exact instant BOTH damn lines started to ooze out water!!! I mean I'm not kidding! They were fine then all of a sudden they started to leak right before my eyes..................................&*%%$%#)*()&(*%*&^ PLUMBING SUCKS. I'll put up with the cost and butt cracks just to have a professional do any plumbing in my house!!!!!

• Members

As a fluids engineer, I can attest to this. When we can, we weld or braze the joints, period. We often go out of our way just to reduce a few threaded joints. Flanges are dubious, and must be installed plumb, then assembled and tightened correctly, or they're a blown gasket waiting to happen. Double-ferrell compression fittings are about the best removable connections. Use them with hoses too, for a worry-free connection; that's what they make tube stubs for! Have to do them right, the instructions work. We only use threaded joints with a sealant such as the Loctite 569 hydraulic sealant (removable) with the correct primer and my threat to clobber the techs if they over-tighten when they tighten it past 'snug'.

• Members

God created the Earth in six days and on the seventh day he rested and while God was resting the Devil snuck in and created plumbing.

Last Saturday I replaced the sink, vanity and faucet in one of our bathrooms. An hour to rip out the old stuff, an hour and a half to install the new stuff and 4 hours to stop the {censored}ing leaks.

On Sunday I replaced the sink, faucet and disposal in the kitchen. An hour to rip out the old stuff, 3 hours to install the new stuff and 4 days later I'm still chasing leaks. I swear to God, next time a take on a plumbing project I'm just going to weld everything.
:mad:

Do you sweat your pipes? :D

If not you should along with wearing low riders so your ass crack is out for the world to see as you work the pipes.

I too hate anything plumbing but since I've learned to sweat, it ain't so bad no more.

• Members

Do you sweat your pipes?
:D

{censored} yeah man. I was sweating all over them on Saturday and Sunday. I also cussed them and cursed them repeatedly. I knew from past plumbing experiences what I was in for so I told my daughters...I'm about to start a plumbing project and as you know there is always a lot of bad language involved with plumbing projects so I want you both to stay in your rooms and cover your ears till it's over. :D

Archived