well i just defretted my bass, and damnit..

ryanstanley

• Members

the wood is flaking up around the edges of where they were. there really doesnt seem to be anything i can do about it :mad:

i wanted to keep the wood look of the fretboard too :(

on a lighter note, my jaguar is still badass, and im totally getting better, kind of. so yeah.

:thu:

• Members

I had the same problem when I defretted an old Ibby 5-string. I just filled in the fret slots with super glue and used some really fine sandpaper to even everything out. I admit, however, that it looks like complete {censored} but it sounds and plays like a dream. Then again, how a bass looks doesn't really mean a lot to me as opposed to how it sounds. YMMV.

• Members

I'd only trust a professional techie to do it ...I had a Squier P-Special which I had done - it was great until I decided that I'd ePoxy the fretboard - OOPPS! ...why did I do that?!?!?...at least it was a cheapish Squier, and gave me an excuse to get my Fender Jazz

• Members

When I defretted my Peavey, I filled in all of the holes with wood putty, sanded it all smooth using very fine sandpaper (so as not to change the radius), then put some Tru-Oil on it to get the deeper color back. Looks good, sounds good. I think I could do it better next time, but for now I am happy.

Archived