Pick Advice

fishmanrod

• Members

Hey! Advice needed, pick style players!!!!

I've been a finger style player forever (so years), but I want to start doing some pick style for some tunes, for versatility, some speed, and the sound difference. I'm having real issues getting it done, though. Mostly I am playing new rock and some classic rock.

I feel like a total noob doing this, I can't play anything with a pick yet with fingers it is sooo easy!

First issue, do people tend to palm the bridge, like most do playing guitar, or do you suspend your hand over the strings. Picking is mostly a combination or wrist/figer movement, right? I find if I palm the bridge I have no wrist action in it, but when I suspend my hand I sort of loose my place.

Pick selection. I have tried heavy (seems to jam on the strings, I can't pick through them) and felt (just 'felt' weird, and too stiff) and really light (seemed to drag over the string, did not get a good feel, seemed to have no control). Any suggestions on what seems to work best? This is NOT like picking the old six string!

How hard do people tend to play with a pick? I am a very heavy player finger style, I REALLY dig in, and going to the pick I just want to play lighter for some reason, maybe because the highs are so much brighter I am backing off naturally. Yet I see some pick style players just wailing on it. Is that typical, is pick syle played harder than finger style?

I know, that is pretty general. Any advice greatly appreciated, especially from someone who plays both ways, or has converted from one to the other!

Cheers!

• Members

... but seriously, I've been a fingerstyle player for 30+ years and only use a pick rarely. I personally like a medium pick and use it sideways so the rounded end is the picking surface. You will have to try the various thicknesses and materials for yourself to determine what's best for you. YMMV... Good luck! :thu:

• Members

I play pretty hard with pick sometimes. I really like the Gator series from Dunlop. I usually use a 2.0, sometimes a 1.5, and even still sometimes a 1.14 or whatever it is. If it's a song I need to pick especially fast on, I may use a tortex 1.14. I know MF had a pick deal going awhile ago where whole packs were only like $2, keep an eye out and order a few things next time they go on sale to try out.

I keep my hand suspended, it shouldn't take you long to get used to the spacing of the strings. Actually though, when sight reading new songs I want to learn off tabs I occasionally get mixed up as well. /shrug

edit -- err, I meant tortex 1.14 (purple), not 1.5

• Members

This is how I do it.

I hold my pick flat against my thumb and at an angle with my index finger.

It's all in the wrist.

I pick anywhere depending on the sound. I move to the bridge when I mute but thats the only fixed position I have.

For picks I used the Dunlop Tortex in .88mm.

• Members

When I play, I almost always hold a pick with my thumb and index finger. I play fingerstyle with the other three for the meaty parts of the song. When I use my pick, I crank up the tone for more attack and speed. I play towards the neck for a chunkier sound, and lay into it pretty heavily at the bridge, which creates almost an overdriven effect.

I stick with medium gauges, since they hit with the force a light doesn't have and they rebound with the speed a heavy lacks.

• Members

I play with a pic about 95% of the time and I also use the Dunlop Tortex .88mm...they're green, last forever, and cannot be broken unlike a fender pic.

I play with a fairly aggressive right hand but the action is all in the wrist. Digging in also applies to pic playing and usually results in a nice growl unless your tone is ultra clean.

I can think of only a couple of situations where I have to use my right hand palm heel to mute out of control strings; mostly its a left hand thing just like finger style.

Oh yeah!.......... and if you go to the movies remember to pick your seat........(OH YEAH!???? go ahead and groan!....it only makes me stronger!)

PFFFth!!!!

PD

• Members

I have used the orange tortex picks for a long time. Good for digging in and, yet, still firm enough to play with some touch. Recently, I've switched up to the yellow tortex. With lighter touch, I can get a slightly bassier sound.

As far as playing goes...it really depends on the song...and I'm singing, so sometimes I couldn't tell you what the hell I'm doing...I just feel it. Often, though, I'll "ground" my hand just below the palm either right behind/above the bridge or above the bridge pickup. Sometimes I'm just floating my hand above the body/strings.

• Members

Have you tried felt picks? I've glued a thin guitar pick to a felt pick to give more "umph." I like a finger tone and prefer playing with my fingers (I'm more John Entwistle style in my playing), but sometimes I get a bad hand cramp---so have to use a pick. I've lately taken a glue gun and put a small layer of glue on the end of the pick. It works wonderfully. Just some "other" ideas to consider.

• Members

I have a goofy picking technique. The position of my hand and the way I hold the pick change continually. The only thing that hasn't changed is my muting style. I have never liked the sound of palm-muted bass in rock, so I mute the strings with the top of my pinkie. I find it easier to control the amount of muting I use.

• Members

I used to use Jim dunlop 1mm nylons, but found after a while I used to get serious hand cramps. I then started using those larger triangle picks with more pointy edges. I think Fender, JD, and a few others make them. I found these much esier to play with and grip and I found I never get cramped anymore.

I am currently using a large triangle aluminium pick - yep metal on metal!

It's about 0.8mm thick and doesn't wear or warp. I've been using this same pick for 18 months now and it's good as new still! I don't know the brand but I'd love to know where they're made. They deliver a real punchy sound and sound great if you want to run the edge down the strings for a nice lead in scratch!

When playing with one of these pick I place it between my thumb, fore and middle finger and hold my hand suspended over the strings. It might take a while to get used to , but you will get the hang of it in no time.

• Members

(posted this in a similar 'pick' thread months ago...)

For the songs I use a pick for, I always use 3.00 Dunlop Stubbies - the darkest purple pick in the photo below. They're as thick as poker chips. What I like about them is that they provide the attack of a pick, but without the really bright 'ping', snap or extra (excessive to me) brightness. A bit more like playing fingerstyle, but with the pick attack. If I want the super bright attack, I just move down by the bridge.

Also, picks like the 3.0 big stubbies allow you to let the pick do all the work, and greatly reduce the the work your forearm/wrist might be doing.

367398.jpg

• Members

I used to use Jim dunlop 1mm nylons, but found after a while I used to get serious hand cramps. I then started using those larger triangle picks with more pointy edges. I think Fender, JD, and a few others make them. I found these much esier to play with and grip and I found I never get cramped anymore.

I am currently using a large triangle aluminium pick - yep metal on metal!

It's about 0.8mm thick and doesn't wear or warp. I've been using this same pick for 18 months now and it's good as new still! I don't know the brand but I'd love to know where they're made. They deliver a real punchy sound and sound great if you want to run the edge down the strings for a nice lead in scratch!

When playing with one of these pick I place it between my thumb, fore and middle finger and hold my hand suspended over the strings. It might take a while to get used to , but you will get the hang of it in no time.

Archived