Duff McKagen, Tone god!!!

Ender_rpm

• Members

Ok, maybe a bit over the top, but hey. Finally reaquired Appettite for Destruction, as my band is working on Mr. Brownstone and I hadn't heard it in forever. I know a lot of credit has to go to the produces for the mix having such a clean sound, but the BASS SOUNDS AMAZING!!! P through a GK, pickstylee. Grit, punch, bit bottom, and it never gots lost amongst the guitars. Of course, credit also has to go to Slash and Izzy for keeping htier gain under control, and not minding when Duff goes all over the place, but man, I was geekin out on my drive to work today :) Gotta put rounds back on the SB and see what I can pull off this weekend....

• Members

I've always liked Duff's tone. Really dig Dave Eleffson's/Nikki Sixx as well.

+1...maybe not Nikki...but everything else! Speaking of Nikki, I played through a Basson 2X10 cab yesterday...HOLY {censored}!!! Nice stuff...decent price too. It was huge for a 2X10, but I think I might pick one up soon...it'll be perfect for smaller gigs. Very bass heavy tone coming out...but very clear. I used a M/B Big Block 750 and an SR5...

• Members

Duff's tone is the main reason why I started out using a pick. I'm back to fingers 99% of the time, but I dug his tone on AFD immensely! I know that album frontwards and backwards--I learned every note including some of the solos!! SCoM solo is pretty kewl on bass IMO. In fact, I could attribute Duff to my love for bass. I holed myself up in my room night after night learning to play bass better. I always thought he found a good groove in a hard rock format.

• Members

I always thought he found a good groove in a hard rock format.

Agreed. I think this was a major component of GnR that got overlooked: The girls could dance to it. Al ot fo the bands of that era that rocked just didn't groove. To do both is exceptional.

• Members

The intro to Sweet Child, and I mean Duff's, not Slash's, is easily in the top 3 coolest licks by any bassist, period, end of discussion.

Amen. The random licks and fills he manages to throw in, especially given its a 2 guiotar band, just warms my little heart. And the fun part is most guitar players listened to so much GnR growing up, I can play my ass off and still be "supporting the groove" even under solos.

The other 2 are of course the riff to Fascination Street and London Calling :thu:

• Members

Amen. The random licks and fills he manages to throw in, especially given its a 2 guiotar band, just warms my little heart. And the fun part is most guitar players listened to so much GnR growing up, I can play my ass off and still be "supporting the groove" even under solos.

The other 2 are of course the riff to Fascination Street and London Calling
:thu:

Hell yeah. You just touched a soft spot in my heart. London Calling :rawk:

Just finished listening to the Joe Strummer/Johnny Cash version of Redemption Song. No bass, but still an amazing song.

Archived