Cases should be FREE!!

Johnny Duart

• Members

What's up with basses being sold without the case!!!!! That's like selling a car without the tires, fishing lures without the hooks, eggs without the shells, baseball spikes without the spikes, portable basketball hoops without the hoop, dogs without tails, birds without wings, sex without foreplay, Chuck Norris without balls of steel, cable TV without ESPN!!!!!:blah: :blah: Why don't they just sell basses without strings, knobs, and pickups and have us pay extra for those, too! We pay enough for these basses, you'd think they could throw in a case for nothing!!!!!:evil: I can understand it for a Rogue or a Dean, but when you purchase a high end bass and they tell you, oh the case is not included...............don't you just want to pound the crap out of them!!! Man, I just shelled out $1,400 bucks, GIVE ME A DAMN CASE JACKASS!!!!

Sorry about the profanity, I just had to vent about that.

Peace, Johnny

• Members

What's up with basses being sold without the case!!!!! That's like selling a car without the tires, fishing lures without the hooks, eggs without the shells, baseball spikes without the spikes, portable basketball hoops without the hoop, dogs without tails, birds without wings, sex without foreplay, Chuck Norris without balls of steel, cable TV without ESPN!!!!!
:blah:
:blah: Why don't they just sell basses without strings, knobs, and pickups and have us pay extra for those, too! We pay enough for these basses, you'd think they could throw in a case for nothing!!!!!
:evil:
I can understand it for a Rogue or a Dean, but when you purchase a high end bass and they tell you, oh the case is not included...............don't you just want to pound the crap out of them!!! Man, I just shelled out $1,400 bucks, GIVE ME A DAMN CASE JACKASS!!!!

Peace, Johnny

It's not that hard... Just tell them you'll go elsewhere for the sale if they don't throw in a case. It's worked for me many a time.

• Members

If you're expecting a case with an inexpensive bass, you're trippin'. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

With +$1000 stuff, you can reasonably expect something, just tell the sales guy that you're not willing to carry the bass out of the store unprotected, and they'll usually throw in a gig bag at the very least. If they want to charge you cost+ for the hard case, that's life, especially at the smaller stores. In alot of instances the store has to buy the case, too.

C7

• Members

not including the case brings down the sticker price. adding the case later is 150%+ margin. on a $100 bass, the case, even at cost, would be like 20% of the total sticker price. and on the low end, the differnce between a $100 bass and a $150 bass is the difference between a sale and a walk.

plus, once you are committed to buying the instrument, getting you to buy add ons/accessories is easy. cables, tuners, gig bags, etc..

• Members

not including the case brings down the sticker price. adding the case later is 150%+ margin. on a $100 bass, the case, even at cost, would be like 20% of the total sticker price. and on the low end, the differnce between a $100 bass and a $150 bass is the difference between a sale and a walk.

plus, once you are committed to buying the instrument, getting you to buy add ons/accessories is easy. cables, tuners, gig bags, etc..

If you're smart, you ask for a great price on the bass, a case, a cable, a strap, and a set of strings. This allows them to take things to margin that they can afford to, in alot of cases everything except the bass, so you get a better price on the whole package.

People that get mad at businesses for making profit puzzle me.

C7

• Members

What's up with basses being sold without the case!!!!! That's like selling a car without the tires, fishing lures without the hooks, eggs without the shells, baseball spikes without the spikes, portable basketball hoops without the hoop, dogs without tails, birds without wings, sex without foreplay, Chuck Norris without balls of steel, cable TV without ESPN!!!!!
:blah:
:blah: Why don't they just sell basses without strings, knobs, and pickups and have us pay extra for those, too! We pay enough for these basses, you'd think they could throw in a case for nothing!!!!!
:evil:
I can understand it for a Rogue or a Dean, but when you purchase a high end bass and they tell you, oh the case is not included...............don't you just want to pound the crap out of them!!! Man, I just shelled out $1,400 bucks, GIVE ME A DAMN CASE JACKASS!!!!

Peace, Johnny

most of the Guitars I feature are shipped in a free case and I aint talking some cheap junky one either I am talking a good quality case and shipping is always free.

it should be on line sometime this month I hope

and if I dont have what you want I have a link page that links you directly to MF as well as other on line musical instrument merchants.

• Members

Seems to me that any manufacturer who makes a high quality product, and takes pride in that, should insist that a case be part of the package. Rickenbacker does.

Many higher-end makers do, and it's included in the pricing. If you're unsure whether a case is supposed to come with your bass as part of the sale, such as with Rics, contact the manufacturer. I think GC got into trouble with Rickenbacker for selling the cases seperately.

C7

• Members

The LeCompte's I have each came in a gig bag, but that's nothing against Bud. He's only a one man shop, and he doesn't have the time to build cases for each design. I have no problem with that either, and was able to find a perfect fitting case for each. His work is also priced accordingly. You get a expertly crafted bass for a very reasonable price, and buying a hardshell case afterward is a non issue to me. These were easy ones too, the hardest one was trying to find a case for my Warmoth Explorer. It was a stroke of luck finding that case...

• Members

So, you've been to Guitar Center recently, I see.

*snort* Indeed. :)

I'd like my truck to run on sunshine and moonbeams, but that's not going to happen either. Either the case is included in the price, or you pay extra for it. A lot of it depends on whether the guitar ships in a OHSC from the factory - if it does, I'll insist the case is included in the price. If it doesn't, well, that's hardly the dealer's fault.

Even with my uber-expensive Warwick, it didn't ship in a case from the factory, so it would be asinine of me to expect the dealer to discount the bass as far as they could go and then expect them to give me $50 worth of HSC on top of it. To their credit (this is thebassplace.com - great dealer) they offered me the option of either keeping the bag Warwick shipped it in or giving me a HSC instead, same price either way. That was them going above and beyond, though - they weren't obligated in my eyes.

• Members

seems to me, as i recall the hazy days of my teens in the 80's that when i bought instruments, the store would throw in tons of stuff for free...wheni bought a squier tele in about 87, i got a hardshell case, strap, couple packs of strings, picks and a tuning fork (lol), all thrown in...was at an independent dealer....

these days people are just greedier....especially a big corporation like guitar center...

corporations know they will make money if the pinch pennies, and they don't care if you are satisfied or will be a repeat customer...the next rank of 15 year olds will buy instruments from them next year, since they dont know any better

• Members

I have only one "high-end" bass: G&L L-2000.

It came with a case.

I hate cases though and always use gig bags.

I'm just the oopposite. Over the years, hard cases have saved my basses from a number of incidents. You should see how beat down my Gibson case is, but the bass still looks great. They are way more inconvienent, but there are times when they are worth their weight in gold. I get nervous whenever bring a bass out in a gig bag, and have to be much more careful with how I handle it, and even load it it the car.

• Members

these days people are just greedier....especially a big corporation like guitar center...

I've gotten an amount of free {censored} from GC that's wildly disproportionate to the amount of stuff I've purchased from them.:D

As far as greed, especially concerning small shops, have you rented a commercial space recently? Have you paid employees a competitive wage recently? Have you paid for shipping a high volume of packages lately? Have you purchased a product wholesale and tried to sell it in a competitive market this year? Profit margins are going down while profit potential never really went up over time, and the cost of everything around a business is steading going up. If you hate GC and want to support your local shops, don't bitch when they won't go rock bottom for you and throw in all kinds of free {censored}, that's all lost profit for them.

C7

• Members

seems to me, as i recall the hazy days of my teens in the 80's that when i bought instruments, the store would throw in tons of stuff for free...wheni bought a squier tele in about 87, i got a hardshell case, strap, couple packs of strings, picks and a tuning fork (lol), all thrown in...was at an independent dealer....

corporations know they will make money if the pinch pennies, and they don't care if you are satisfied or will be a repeat customer...the next rank of 15 year olds will buy instruments from them next year, since they dont know any better

yeah, and you probably paid list price for the guitar;)

• Members

I get nervous whenever bring a bass out in a gig bag, and have to be much more careful with how I handle it, and even load it it the car.

I would too if I'd paid the kinda scratch you have for your basses.

:eek:

Seriously though, I've been hauling my basses in gig bags continually for gigs over the last couple of years...bars...parties...fests and have NEVER had a problem with them being in a gig bag.

• Members

Don't kid yourself...that Mom & Pop store is just as greedy it just doesn't have the evil greedy corporation persona. The bottom line is that companies are in business to make a profit. The "free" stuff you're referring to isn't free. It never has been and never will be. You're paying for it one way or the other. To think otherwise is to just kid yourself.

• Members

Yeah, everything should be free - beer and fried chicken, too. Gimme, gimme, gimme, everything all for free. Do you want someone else to buy your food and pay your rent and utilities, too?

For standard size / shape instruments, I actually like the case not being included, since I have tons of cases and gig bags already, and there's no sense in having to pay extra for an item which I already have more than I need. A custom, unusually sized or shaped, or high end instrument, I'll normally want a case with. But the choice should be the buyer's.

Archived