Bass Pimpin'

Thunderbroom

• Members

No real rhyme nor reason, but I want to pimp this bass.

mygear-basses-06.jpg

I've never really liked the color but love the way that it plays.

I was thinking of having it chromed (but don't know where to get it done...how 'bout a little help here boalg...). I've also thought about getting it painted with something from these folks. They have ChromeFX paint but said that it won't work with wood very well but said all their other stuff would work. They sent me contact info for couple of folks in the Chicago area that use their stuff.

• Members

No offense fellas...but a different colored pickguard is not what I'm thinking about when I think "pimpin'". boalg's Chromeboy comes to mind as a primary example.

I'm thinking maybe some of that color-changing paint.

I think to match that...silver flake hat....of yours.....you should get it painted or chromed, then apply some silver flake over it...to make it look like this...flakes_L014.jpg

It would match that hat of yours perfectly...:thu:;)

• Members

How about this:

You remove everything from the body after you make temporary outlines of where everything goes. Then you drill a bunch of 10mm holes in the remaining available real estate and fill them with LEDs. Once it's wired up, you will the space with epoxy like they do on bar tops. Round the edges over, open the screw holes back up and reassemble the bass.

You could wire up a foot switch to turn the bass lights on and off using another 1/4" jack.

Few things would be more pimp than that.

I'd recommend buying a cheap mighty mite body off of ebay to make it happen.

• Members

No offense fellas...but a different colored pickguard is not what I'm thinking about when I think "pimpin'". boalg's Chromeboy comes to mind as a primary example.

Would it be cheaper just top pick up a body from Warmoth with the desired paint job? If you were DIY, then I can see it being cost efficient. But to send it out...

• Members

Would it be cheaper just top pick up a body from Warmoth with the desired paint job? If you were DIY, then I can see it being cost efficient. But to send it out...

I don't see a pimpin' paint job available from Warmoth. Their metallics are close and are $245 (plus the cost of the body).

I ran across this:

Killer Cans

I found the paint online for ~$38 a can. I'm not sure about spray-painting a bass though.

• Members

VERY offended here bud!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

• Members

Ok...here's what a former guitarist friend of mine did...

Take off all the hardware on the body. Cover the entire surface with adhesive-backed mylar. Get several tubes of super glue, or epoxy. Get yourself bags and bags and bags of varies sizes of plastic, flat-backed "rhinestones" from someplace like Hobby Lobby or Michael's or your friendly neighborhood craft store. (for the record...the guitar pictured below had around 2600 stones glued to the front of it). Reassemble.

ice.jpg

• Members

Now that is dope!

:thu:

Yeah...it did look pretty dang cool...especially after he put the mirrored pickguard on there. I will say this, don't be anywhere in line of sight when the sun hits the front of it...it will blind you! :eek:

• Members

Nice, that's what I was thinking. Or how about a mirrored-disco-ball finish? Or heck, spare no expense and gold-plate the thing!

That's it... $2000 in gilding! :thu:

That would be awesome, but expensive I'm sure!

The chrome paint would be cool. Thee may be some place that can do a dipped chrome finish for you, don't know where tho. To do wood, you have to do a similar process to plastic.

I liked the swirl paint idea. Also, I think the gray-black-white spatter trunk paint, with chrome trim, would be bitchin'!

• Members

Nice, that's what I was thinking. Or how about a mirrored-disco-ball finish? Or heck, spare no expense and gold-plate the thing!

Paul Stanley of KISS did something like that in the late 70's - although it was less like a mirror-ball and more like a shattered mirror finish.

John

• Members

Black Precisions with tort pickguards sound better.

Archived