Why a P Bass?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

You know me!! hehehehe.
:thu:

Well, I'm trying to make a guitar head work for bass.

It sounds good, but is missing something.

You go brother man. :)

edit:

Check out some Gallien Kruger heads. Good sound for reasonable bucks.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

mmm MIA Lakland...has to be the cream of Ps....

I just don't get them. Why? I mean, I would possibly admit better construction. And, to some, possibly better sound. But why oh why would you want to copy that instrument that closely? I get cheap knock-offs. I don't usually like them, but I get why. But why an expensive knock-off? If you were going to make something better, wouldn't you want to make it your own look, too? To each his/her own, I guess. :idk:

• Members

P is the standard for bass sound.

If you hate them, then you ain't no bassist!
:cool:

Like I said, I've always associated them with cheap or beginner gear, for some reason?

I've never actually played one either. So I'm just making back handed assumptions.

• Members

Like I said, I've always associated them with cheap or beginner gear, for some reason?

For comparason sake, look at how many different Stratocasters there are out there. It's like that with P-basses.

I remember when a P-bass was a P-bass, and when an SVT was a 300watt tube amp...

{censored} I'm old. :o

• Members

I've never actually played one either. So I'm just making back handed assumptions.

my first bass was a fender squier, paid $250 for.

back then i didnt know the difference between p and jazz basses.

It WAS a squier though, apparently the bottom of the barrel fender p bass:(

it sounded alright with a chorus i have to admit:idea:

• Members

I just don't get them. Why? I mean, I would possibly admit better construction. And, to some, possibly better sound. But why oh why would you want to copy that instrument that closely? I get cheap knock-offs. I don't usually like them, but I get why. But why an expensive knock-off? If you were going to make something better, wouldn't you want to make it your own look, too? To each his/her own, I guess.
:idk:

The Joe Osborn is the best Jazz bass I've ever played. Why not get the best? Yeah, to each his own (as long as you've played the bass you're dissin' :D)

• Moderators

it's a beginner bass, i have it. It will have to work for me until I get a new one, and I'm gonna wait until I can get a Good new one, not just a little better bad one.

What's lacking on the bass you have now?

• Members

What's stopping you? A Fender Standard Precision (MIM) is affordable and a solid instrument. Buy one used and you are doing even better.

The first two items on the list of stuff I feel I need. The two I feel I need more than a P. But anyway... I've tried the SVM and have been happier with that one than any Mexican P's I've tried. Or the Highway 1.

• Moderators

I have yet to get my hands on a SVM, but I'm sure it would work just as well. :)

I just finished a complete refret of a Squire Strat and I'd put it up against the best Strat you can find at any of my local Guitar Center's with respect to playability.

• Members

I have yet to get my hands on a SVM, but I'm sure it would work just as well.
:)

I just finished a complete refret of a Squire Strat and I'd put it up against the best Strat you can find at any of my local Guitar Center's with respect to playability.

Although I want to try the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub sig as well.. Even if I risk spending more than twice what the SVM is...

• Moderators

Having played a number of Skylines, I have no hesitation recommending one. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a very serviceable instrument for less, but as boalg taught us in his other post, you don't reach the point of diminishing returns until you spend more than a Skyline Glaub.

• Members

Having played a number of Skylines, I have no hesitation recommending one. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a very serviceable instrument for less, but as boalg taught us in his other post, you don't reach the point of diminishing returns until you spend more than a Skyline Glaub.

they sure are nice...the MIAs though :love: almost like the took the best parts of 10 AMAZING 60s Ps, copied them, refined them and put them together....oh wait that is sort of what they did. That is why I think they are the cream of P basses...like getting a P bass full of the early 60s magic with modern refinements. The Lindy Fralin P pickup is teh sex but my current lust is for a Darkstar Glaub P....

Archived