Bum Notes

Thunderbroom

• Members

I think I must be losing my hearing or I just don't have a developed ear.

Tonight at our gig, my guitarist gave me the master copy (he picked it up on Friday from the soundguy) of our bar gig on 5/25. I know for a fact that I made numerous mistakes over the course of the night. I listened to almost all of the first set and really had trouble hearing my bum notes though I know that they're there. The bass is pretty prominent in the mix too.

Is it just harder to hear mistakes in bass playing as opposed to a mistake on guitar or keys?

• Members

Tonight at our gig, my guitarist gave me the master copy (he picked it up on Friday from the soundguy) of our bar gig on 5/25. I know for a fact that I made numerous mistakes over the course of the night. I listened to almost all of the first set and really had trouble hearing my bum notes though I know that they're there. The bass is pretty prominent in the mix too.

Is it just harder to hear mistakes in bass playing as opposed to a mistake on guitar or keys?

If it's a good quality recording, you can hear the mistakes on the bass like any other instrument.

• Moderators

The bass doesn't hide mistakes well. You should be able to hear them. I don't know what you are hearing (or not hearing), but our mistakes rarely sound as bad as we remember on playback because you don't have the simultaneous biofeedback of knowing you just played a bad note. Nothing worse than feeling it with your fingers, seeing it with your eyes and hearing it all together. On cd, you only hear it.

• Members

Hey Thunder, what you may be experiencing is the mistakes you "know" and feel you're making, are real and you know they are there but can't be heard, is the mistake being stopped (subconsciously) by you and the note ends up sounding like a accent in the form of a muted note or a percussive thud/thump and it sets right on the beat so it's all but undetectable. You'll know when the WRONG note is played and ringing out.

• Members

:thu: Congrats, T-Broom...You have mastered the fine art of "making a mistake not sound like its a mistake". Be proud! :cool:

• Members

I can honestly tell you every mistake I make on any given night. I can't remember it two weeks later, but that night and the next day, I could list every song title, which verse/chorus, and what I did wrong and basically, why I did it - not really paying attention, getting flashed at the time, thinking of the next song, etc. Having a good memory keeps me humble.

But, when listening to a recording, it is not that noticeable. I think that Kindness is correct. AT THAT TIME, it is/was a horrendous mistake. Upon playback, it wasn't nearly as bad as you thought.

Or...maybe we both just suck at bass, Jeff. :p

• Members

I can honestly tell you every mistake I make on any given night. I can't remember it two weeks later, but that night and the next day, I could list every song title, which verse/chorus, and what I did wrong and basically, why I did it - not really paying attention, getting flashed at the time, thinking of the next song, etc. Having a good memory keeps me humble.

But, when listening to a recording, it is not that noticeable. I think that Kindness is correct. AT THAT TIME, it is/was a horrendous mistake. Upon playback, it wasn't nearly as bad as you thought.

Or...maybe we both just suck at bass, Jeff.
:p

Mike, I think you may just be right...on all accounts.

I cringe when I hit a bad note or more likely miss one. I too can tell you which song and where in the song I made the mistake. I know these songs backwards and forwards so I, like you, attibute it to not paying attention and other stuff.

Thanks for posting this because I feel a bit better know that you mess up also.

:)

Archived