Apparently, I'm going to take up banjo

sunburstbasser

• Members

My mom and I were talking about something and she said she always wanted me to learn banjo. I told her I wasn't sure and it went back and forth. Anyway, at some point I said "You buy it, and I'll learn it." So...

She is now scouring Ebay and MF catalogs for a banjo.:eek:

I did NOT think she would take me up on that offer.

Of course, I told her I wanted a 5-string, because 6ers are just too guitar-y so I wouldn't be learning much and 4 strings is enough for bass only.

• Members

I have tried and tried and I cannot get that stupid finger roll down! Good luck. I wish I could play one. :thu:

EDIT: BTW, Tuesday night, this "community-type orchestra" thingy that I fool around with opened up the sheet music for Woodie Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land....." and one of us non-sheet-music-reading guys picked up a banjo and threw it in the mix. It really opened the door and added so much to that particular song.

• Members

Since you're in Oklahoma...hm, I think it overshot Alabama.
:D

I live in metropolitan Oklahoma, thank you very much! We've had running water since like the 80's!

I'm headed home to Montana in a few weeks and I'm contemplating bringing it back with me. However, my neighbors may not appreciate it since a 5-string closed-back banjo can be kind of loud...

• Members
I live in
metropolitan
Oklahoma, thank you very much! We've had running water since like the 80's!

I'm headed home to Montana in a few weeks and I'm contemplating bringing it back with me. However, my neighbors may not appreciate it since a 5-string closed-back banjo can be kind of loud...

No, no, the song...banjo, knee, all that... *sigh* :(

Anyway...my brother lives in Montana. What are these "neighbors" of which you speak? It only has something like 6.2 persons per square mile... ;)

• Members

No, no, the
song
...banjo, knee, all that... *sigh*
:(

Anyway...my brother lives in Montana. What are these "neighbors" of which you speak? It only has something like 6.2 persons per square mile...
;)

Yeah, I'm a youngin'...what can I say?

My Montana neighbors wouldn't care...it's my apartment neighbors here in OKC that might mind a bit if I was to be pickin' and grinnin'. That could possibly make my landlord start kickin' and evictin'...

• Members

Yeah, I'm a youngin'...what can I say?

My Montana neighbors wouldn't care...it's my apartment neighbors here in OKC that might mind a bit if I was to be pickin' and grinnin'. That could possibly make my landlord start kickin' and evictin'...

If he complains, leave a copy of Deliverance and a plush toy of Miss Piggy sitting where he'll find it. ;)

• Members

one time at a band rehearsal, the basement space we were using would annoy this crotchety old blue haired fossil next door - one day she actually came knocking on the door to bitch us all out - we let her in and she's proceeds on some tirade...

so we asked her what was causing the most distress volume-wise (we already knew it was the drums), and she goes around the room - finally she gets to me and points at my peavey cirrus 6-string and proclaims "oh no, I can't even hear that...that BANJO!"

at that point we all lost it and she stormed away

Archived