My bass player uses a pic

fuzzball

• Members

No joke, he just tends to stick with using a pic. He is good, and I have nothing against him using it, but fingers on strings sound better for a recording. I think I will take Ender rpm's suggestion and just ask him to do a second take and compair them to him.

• Members

Although I don't use a pick there are plenty of famous Bassists who do. Heres the ones I can think of:

Paul Gray - Slipknot

Tom Araya - Slayer

Jeordie White(Twiggy Ramirez) - Marilyn Manson, a Perfect Circle, and Nine Inch Nails

Duff McKagan - G'N'R, Velvet Revolver

Paul Simenon - the Clash

Tom Petersson - Cheap Trick

Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy

John Paul Jones-Zep

Tom Hamilton - Aerosmith

Roger Waters - Pink Floyd

Chris Squire - Yes

Mike Mills - REM

and sometimes even John Entwistle!

• Members

Get him a couple of felt picks. They have a rounder sound to them than the standard plastic picks.

I normally play fingerstyle, but I use a pick when I think the song calls for it. One of our originals has a bassline I play palm-muted with a pick, going for a Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" era bass tone, and I don't think it sounds right any other way.

• Members

I always record with a pick. I like the definition it give my bass. Maybe the problem isn't the pick but perhaps your bass player's technique with it. A pick in the right hands can make a bass line sound mighty fine in a rock song.:thu:

• Members

What exactly is it about the sound of picked bass that you don't like? Is the guy sloppy and too aggressive with the pick? Are you just looking for more thump? (You can EQ it just fine, IMO. Plus, you can at least get him to lighten his touch and/or use a felt pick, you can get plenty of thump.) Or perhaps you just don't want the bass player to stand out? :o:D

• Members

What exactly is it about the sound of picked bass that you don't like? Is the guy sloppy and too aggressive with the pick? Are you just looking for more thump? (You can EQ it just fine, IMO. Plus, you can at least get him to lighten his touch and/or use a felt pick, you can get plenty of thump.) Or perhaps you just don't want the bass player to stand out?
:o:D

In this situation I think he is too agressive with the pic. I have tried to get him to lighten up but it has not worked yet. I will try some of the suggestions.

• Moderators

I would try to use both in the same sentence. As in - I generally use my fingers to pick my nose. See. The techniques are not mutually exclusive.

Now seriously, Mr Joshua's suggestion of using felt picks is a really good one. The other suggestion (this is for multi-track recording?) is that when bouncing tracks down, EQ is your friend.;)

• Members

In this situation I think he is too agressive with the pic. I have tried to get him to lighten up but it has not worked yet. I will try some of the suggestions.

Ahh...I see what you're saying. I have the same trouble recording my guitarist when he plays acoustic. He's got huge, heavy hands!

We pick-slinging buzz-sawing bassists have the same trouble from time to time. :o

That being the case, are you sure that he wouldn't be just as aggressive with his fingers? In my humble opinion, aggressive fingerstyle is worse than too-aggressive pick playing. Often, you get even more fret buzz, fret clicking, and even strings hitting the pickup poles due. :freak:

You might be able to "fool" his ear a little bit. Within the limits of your equipment and his ears, absolutely crank the {censored} out of the bass in his mix (headphones or monitor) when you record him so that his bass feels big and powerful, even when he's just easing into it. The end result would hopefully be that he feels how powerful he is, delivers a nice smooth performance, and you have useable tracks.

Or you could pull back to 10000 feet and talk to him about the songs you are recording...talk to him about dynamics. Really think about and work out together which passages need to be smooth and even, and which passages he needs to dig in on. Compress to taste.

• Members

What's the bass strung with? I really love the sound of a pick on flatwounds. If it's roundwounds, I'm about 80% - 20% fingers to pick. When the bass has flats, it's about 40-60.

I am not certain, I will find out tonight.:thu:

• Members

I don't particularly enjoy playing with a pick, but there are some tunes that just scream for that sound, so I do it.

Rather than tell him what to do (some guys don't take well to that) make the suggestion that playing a little fingerstyle would really add to his value as a bassist - particularly if he's interested in session work. Present it as a growth opportunity and challenge rather than an edict...he might even thank you for it!

Archived