Reverb

LoC

• Members

A friend of mine is a professional musician and knows a few tricks to enhance sound. He mentioned using reverb to add thickness and flavor to my sound, and after listening to several songs with a slight addition of reverb, I must agree.

What is a good brand of effects for pedals or rackmount (preferably rackmount) utilities?

And how much is a fair price for new and used equipment?

• Members

Agrees that one should be able to find a suitable reverb and be able to adjust it to taste, with most processors on the market. As most offer at least: room, hall, & spring versions with some degree of tweakability for the selected reverb type.

• Members

I don't see how reverb can 'thicken' your sound while playing with a band. Wouldn't it just get lost?

..And unless your sound is pretty twangy it makes a VERY think layer of mud. I like verb on drums but I always do some steep low cuts on it otherwise it sounds like {censored} cause of the kick banging off into the distance. With electrics you can use a very short decay and small room (and/or diffusion setting) to get a live sound. Lots of lows and low mids in reverb is fine for pads, some vocals, and other background stuff, but it gets muddy quick otherwise.

If you want it so badly...

pcm91_temp_intro.jpg

I'm obligated to say that digital and plug-in reverbs have come a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way.

• Members

I like a moderate touch of reverb for practicing and soloing, but in a band setting, it's sometimes more of a liability, unless the arrangements are on the sparse side. I really love it for fretless, especially upright, but again, only if there's adequate "room" for it in the music...

• Moderators

A thickening would be taking a delay pedal and using it to bring just a very slight hint of delay, and then adding a bit of a chorus after that delay. Most people put the chorus before the delay. As a thickening agent for bass it's the opposite. Forget the reverb unless you're using it as an abstract effect. Although if you have the ability to have a hi-pass at about 150 and a low pass around 2.5 I could see where reverb may have some other usefulness, too.

Archived