Peavey Cirrus BXP

willbill0587

• Members

Any good?

They look good and when I had a go of one for like 2 minutes it felt good.

The BXP is the cheap version. I'm lookin' at gettin the 5'er like this.

It supposedly has the same electronics as the USA version?

cirrusBXP_bubinga.jpg

Also, for like a third of the price I could get a Millenium AC BXP.

pea_millenium_5ac_bxp.jpg

I've only played a Millenium 4 stringer but it felt really good, I like Peavey necks in general, they all feel good to me.

Any thoughts on either one?

Is the Cirrus worth the extra?

MILLENIUM- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-5-AC-BXP-5String-Bass?sku=511402&src=3SOSWXXA

CIRRUS- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Cirrus-PBX-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Regular-Quilt-Top-Tiger-Eye?sku=512189

• Moderators

I had a Peavey Cirrus BXP for 1 day. I don;t know why I bought it, other than a bassist friend of mine has a grind and sounded incredible with it the other night I saw his band, and also Burdizzos here has the American version. I couldn't get the neck thru to give me enough for the E string to be low without buzzing. I remembered very quickly why I personally prefer bolt-ons. That said the neck on the Cirrus BXP felt wonderful and the bass is beautifully balanced. If you can get one setup properly its' a terrific bass, IMHO.

• Members

I got to play a Cirrus, Cirrus BXP, and Millenium BXP AC a while back. I didn't care for the B on the Millenium, but tonewise both BXPs were pretty close. Neither one touched the USA Cirrus in tone, or in playability. I found this odd, considering they all had the same electronics.

I wasn't really too impressed with the Cirrus BXP. I like Milleniums enough that I've considered a Peavey Fury IV for a while. The older ones have the same electronics as the Cirrus but show up on Ebay for dirt cheap, and they basically morphed into the Millenium.

• Members

I'm trying to get rid of my Peavey Grind BXP...but have only played a real Cirrus and loved it...not a BXP version. I was actually thinking of getting one to put barts in...but the pickup size is wrong for barts...I'll have to go with a Grind NTB to put barts in somethin.

• Members

I have a 4-string Millenium BXP. Paid $180 new... and $50 for real strings and a proper setup.

Nice bass... I love the neck - slim and slick (no sticky urethane). Sound is decent. Lightweight and comfortable. Peavey's longer horn design is great if you like the neck in a more vertical position. I haven't had it go out of tune much either.

It's basswood, so there isn't as much resonance. The string-through design and high(er) mass bridge help that a bit. It also probably couldn't withstand a lot of abuse. Electronics aren't great, but the wiring is decent, the pots are not scratchy, and the PUPs are not microphonic.

I'd give it two thumbs up for the price range... mostly based on personal preference of what I like in a bass - lightweight, slim/slick neck, and it's ability to hold a vertical position on a strap.

Certainly one of the best in the price-range. But mine was in dire need of a good setup. So expect to spend the time and/or money to have that done. And the electronics are really the only thing I see that need an upgrade. But honestly, it's fine stock. I'm content playing it stock in a live setting.

• Members

I'm trying to get rid of my Peavey Grind BXP...but have only played a real Cirrus and loved it...not a BXP version. I was actually thinking of getting one to put barts in...but the pickup size is wrong for barts...I'll have to go with a Grind NTB to put barts in somethin.

With Peavey's preamp and pickups, you probably won't need Barts in it! They are already very nice electronics.

Archived