Tour with a band or finish college?

paperarmytank

• Members

I'm rather new to this forum, but I've scoured over some things in search of knowledge and immense wisdom, and it seems I have found it here in the bass forum. :thu:

I'm 22. I'm going into my 5th year at a liberal arts university majoring in music education. I have 3 classes, a senior recital, and a semester of student teaching left to complete. I'm double majoring on trumpet and voice, with a performance degree on the trumpet to compliment my teaching license nicely.

This past weekend I was asked to replace the bass player in my brother's band, Before Their Eyes. They are a hardcore/screamo act signed to Rise Records and are touring extensively.

I've always had two dreams: to be a damn good teacher and to play in a touring band. It seems both are happening at once. If I chose to do the band, there would be no way to continue school. I would be on the road 3 weeks of every month. There are no online class options.

Well I suppose you understand what my predicament is. My "audition" for the band is Sunday. I've played in bands with 3 of the 4 members of the band, so pretty much I've got it if I want it. They know how I do.

Any suggestions, stories, words of wisdom, or eye-opening quotes out there?

I realize this is just a place for bass players and other musicians to talk about gear and whatnot, but hey, the more advice I get the better. I know that ultimately it's my decision, but any input is appreciated.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure that you can get back into the course of study you are in after touring, even if it is a couple years down the road.

Might not look to good on the old resume when applying for teaching jobs. "Touring rock musician" around young, impressionable students might not be looked on well.

Of course, it may give you more street cred for the job too.

• Members

It depends on how much you want to tour with your own stuff. I did the exact same thing when I was 21, I got asked to join a touring band called Bottle Neck, touring all the state fairs and other places. I thought this was my dream, but found out I'd much rather have gone out on the road with my own stuff than join an existing band. After the tour, I went back and finished college thankfully, but didn't rejoin Bottle Neck because I wanted to at least try to get my own band touring eventually.

If you have your own stuff, you may want to consider that first. Of course it's hard to make it, but it's fun as hell to try to make it with your own original music than to be somewhat a fill in at first, IMHO. Good luck with your tough decision:thu:

Mr. Matt

• Members

When I was 22, my response would have been "What are you, high? Go on tour!"

But I'm nott 22, so stay in school. I know way to many people who left with the best intentions of going back, but then life got in the way and they never made it and are 35-40 years old struggling to get by. Once you have the degree, you'll know you always have it to fall back on.

• Members

Greetings from the North,

Find out first from your dean that if you did take a leave for professional reasons, that you would be allowed to complete your 3 courses in the future. Do this first and then make your choice. If you're going to be teaching, the real world experience may be of benefit to you and your future students This happened to me twice and I chose school both times. I have to admit one of those times I regret when I hear their songs on the radio. But lifes like that. Good luck.

Rezdog

• Members

tour.

go back and finish school when you're done touring and you realise that you're not going to make a steady living as a touring musician. as long as you plan in advance and tell your program what's up, they'll help you get set up to finish your degree when you get back.

you might never get another chance like this. and this is coming from a guy with two graduate degrees and about 11 years of advanced schooling.

• Members

"I've always had two dreams: to be an artist or a damn good accountant."

I've always had two dreams: to be a damn good teacher and to play in a touring band.

Sorry, I'm having trouble buying the "damn good teacher" as one's dream. Typically, that's what one chooses as a backup plan.

I could be wrong, there are some folks who DO dream such things and no disrespect to them. But I gotta ask: Is the "damn good teacher" really YOUR dream? Or is it what you've been told all your life, to have the backup plan in case the dream doesn't work out??

If it truly is your dream, then by all means stay in school.

If the touring musician is really your dream, DO IT NOW. Don't wait another minute. See, dreams have a way of withering when subjected to something more sensible - if you don't go for it when the opportunity comes along, it vanishes into the what if ether that fills us with regret as we age.

Don't let me miss the obvious: The odds are certainly against you if you go for it. But if you DON'T go for it, you never even give yourself the chance to find out.

• Moderators

I realize this is just a place for bass players and other musicians to talk about gear and whatnot, but hey, the more advice I get the better. I know that ultimately it's my decision, but any input is appreciated.

Congratulations. You're the first noob we've had in a while who didn't ask if this was a bass forum.:D

Stay in school. You don't have that much longer. Lots of bad things can happen in the mean time while you're touring and doing whatever, so you won;t be able to go back. Get the degree, and if another opportunity presents itself, take it. Otherwise, you still have that degree to fall back on.

• Members

tour.

go back and finish school when you're done touring and you realise that you're not going to make a steady living as a touring musician. as long as you plan in advance and tell your program what's up, they'll help you get set up to finish your degree when you get back.

you might never get another chance like this. and this is coming from a guy with two graduate degrees and about 11 years of advanced schooling.

+1

You can always go back to school. You may never get this chance again.

• Members

Finish school. Then tour. Wish someone told me this more
:)

Listen. To. This. ;)

I was your age once. I'm 51 now. I quit school to go on the road before you were born. I have enjoyed some success in the music biz, but I would give my right arm to have real job. It's no fun being my age, having no retirement and living month to month.

These kids telling you to go for it don't know what the {censored} they're talking about.

I do.

• Members

Do the audition. Let them know about your educational requirements. See if they are touring extensively at the moment. If they are planning to go into the studio, you might be able to work something out. They may not be planning to hit the road for a while.

All I'm saying, is lay all your cards on the table and find out where they are at. It may work out pretty well.

• Members

Tour. Firstly, you can always go back and finish school. Second, since you are majoring in music, so consider this professional development. Experience like this is definitely not going to hamper you. These opportunities are truly few and far between and you may miss this one. Touring and finishing school does not have to be mutually exclusive; you simply finish with your degree when this fizzles out. Good luck!

• Members

I'm 46, very well educated, and a strong believer in education first. However, when I was in undergraduate school (college), I was in a band, and we toured the entire summer after my senior year. It was something that I would not trade for ANYTHING. That said, here's my advice, worth about $.02.

This first question you need to ask yourself and answer is If you stop school now, are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you will finish later? Ask you college/university if they have a time limit for people who stop for a while -- get the answer in writing. You might even be able to get some "independent study" credits while doing it.

Now, IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you will continue school later, then yes, you can take some time off and go play with these guys. Give yourself a time frame. Say one year Let them know up front that you are giving them just one year. Then go touring with these guys. If you don't like it, then quit and go back to school. If you do like it, stick to you time frame. Chances are a year out on the road and someone is going to go nuts and leave the band. But after that year, say "thanks" and go back to school.

• Members

No one ever goes back to school, no matter what they say or think they believe. Listen to Bnyswonger. You started a program, now finish it. There could very well be a lot of other opportunities like that one in the future, nothing says that it's either this band/tour or nothing. Finish school then focus on the rest.

• Members

As others have said, 3 or 4 years ago I'd of left to tour.

Hell I even broke off w/ my fiance` just to play frequently in bars for weekend gigs. However, I never quit school and that's a good thing, cause I'm taking my CPA exam next month and not even in that band anymore. And I'm doing the weekend thing again already, just 6 mo's later with better paying gigs! :thu:

Yes, it's possible to always go back and finish up, but a lot of people rarely do. I have more than a few friends that dropped out of college for whatever reason with single-digit credits left to earn.

• Members

No one ever goes back to school, no matter what they say or think they believe. Listen to Bnyswonger. You started a program, now finish it. There could very well be a lot of other opportunities like that one in the future, nothing says that it's either this band/tour or nothing. Finish school then focus on the rest.

I went back to school after taking two years off.:wave:

Archived