Guitard Issues

cwatson

• Members

Our guitarist is behaving in a particularly irritating way at present. Basically at practices we'll play for an hour or so then he'll piss off to some chick that he digs house a few roads away and come back a while later. last week he called off a rehersal because "he had to see someone" another girl he dated a while back. Now whilst his personal life isnt really any of my business it is irritating to see my best mate getting more arrogant as time goes on but also for the other three members of th band myself, the drummer and vocalist / rhythm guitarist. As we all book time around practicing. When he calls off a rehersal we could have scheduled to work and earn an extra bit of cash (which being a student is in short supply) or made other plans, It annoying as its a waste of my time and to be honest I'm worried for the band. We have a hell of a lot of work to do, we have some big gigs in august (5000+ croud in one case), and we are booked into the studio for late september, we have A LOT of work to do. there are about 5 songs that are half finished which are scheduled to be recorded. added to this we're all really good mates in the band, and as I stated earlier the guy is like my best mate so I'm kinda screwed, also he is an insanely good guitarist and we wouldn't be half the band we are without him. So errr what should I do?

• Members

Yeah. Personal issues is one thing, but leaving practice like that is inexcusable. Especially for a chick.

If I have practice and my wife misses me or whatever, she'll swing by and have some beers with us. Nobody cares, cause she doesn't get in the way at all. Besides, she picks up beer for all of us on the way!

Anyways...ask him what he plans on doing. If you confront him about it, he might realize what he is doing and then make a change in his behavior.

• Members

Lay it out for him exactly as you've laid it out here. Tell him how it is affecting the rest of the band and how his inconsistency is not going to be tolerated much longer.

If you guys are hitting the relms of playing gig's to 5000 + people, you won't find it hard to land another {censored} hot guitard that is willing to put in the work.

Even if he is a best mate to you, he is affecting the other guys in the band and that need to be considered. I'm sure if he is not as close to say the drummer, he'd have less qualms about seeing the back of him if he is {censored}ing around.

Gotta be an ultimatum and rules adhered to, otherwise this bloke will ruin it for the rest of you.

• Members

Just having a beer and talk to him and explain what you feel about it.

This is the most realistic approach, what I forgot to mention is that he also owns our PA and is the only one that has decent practice space. tbh I probably made it sound worse than it was (I was pretty angry when I posted the thread) but its been going on for two or three weeks now. I guess we'll jump in before he gets used to the whole situation and thinks its acceptable.

Archived