The New Trace Elliot Stuff

T. Alan Smith

• Members

I wanted a Trace for years and finally bought this one on Ebay, it was a NOS from British Audio Service. I really like the versatility and still mess around with different tone settings.

Picture463-1.jpg

i envy you dude, that one looks awesome, even though im not such a big fan of theirs! how does the drive sound on it?

• Members

The modeler on my Roland Cube has me dying to try a real Trace V-something.

I think this is the first amp gas I've had in years.

Yep, the TE is the only modeling I ever use on my Roland basically cuz I think it just sounds better than all the other models.

Often wondered how accurate the modeling is. If it's spot on, I think I'd definitely like a TE. 'scep for the price

• Members

I WANT THAT CIRRUS!!!
:love:

There were at least four of them-4, 5, and 6 string and I think a 5-string fretless. They were on display at NAMM back in January.

Peavey owns the Trace brand, but is not doing any manufacturing. Its pretty much the same thing Peavey did with Crown, basically letting them do things and getting it out there, and NOT {censored}ing it up!:cop:

• Members

after a quick look on e-bay for previously sold trace items, I have to say that they are very tempting! But how can I tell the good stuff from the not-so-good stuff of the Gibson era?

I mean a 200W 2x10 combo recently sold for 350 Euros! that's dirt cheap! a 250W power amp for 100 Euros? a tube pre-amp for 250?

• Members

Peavey isn't manufacturing TE. TE is manufacturing TE. Peavey is their US distributor.

I was under the impression that the Ashdown guys were the TE guys and they sold TE to another company. But if TE is still TE...I would love to try out some of their stuff. I love their heads and cabs..very killer sound.

Dan

• Members

I was under the impression that the Ashdown guys were the TE guys and they sold TE to another company. But if TE is still TE...I would love to try out some of their stuff. I love their heads and cabs..very killer sound.

Dan

+1 i thought ashdown was the trace guys to?

anybody know how much a trace head is second hand these days?

• Members

What is it about TE that makes people say 'They're great amps but the tone may not be for you' or 'Built great but it's not the tone I want', etc.

What is different/unique about the tone (or?) of a TE that makes people mention this?

I have a Roland cube with a TE model. Dunno how accurate it is to the real thing but I do know it's the only amp model I ever use.

• Members

For older Trace I recommend not going for the entry level heads. My AH300-7 SMC was nice, but ultimately not in agreeance with my bass and cabinet simply because there was no blend capability between shaped and flat. The next models up have this feature and it would have been the key to my happiness.

In my younger days an older AH250 with UV light was amazing. Very angry amp and given I had different basses, less experience and maturity it was awesome for me at the time.

Trace have an inherent midrange which is to some people's liking, not to others. It is tuneable in the higher models and the V-Type and V Series have their own different flavour, if you can find one. The top and bottom ends of the Trace sound are incredible, tight bottom and in my experience bright but glassy highs. Excellent slap and funk amps, not always PHAT enough for rock.

The new ones look really interesting. I have moved over to GK for the meantime until they re-release another all-valve series... :)

• Members

does that mean ashdown are cheap traces then? i've never tried them?

Not quite. The connection is that Mark Goodall, one of the major managers at TE, founded Ashdown a while back when Gibson screwed TE over. Ashdown amps themselves may have some similarity to old TEs, but are not (to my knowledge) made by the same guys.

• Members

Not quite. The connection is that Mark Goodall, one of the major managers at TE, founded Ashdown a while back when Gibson screwed TE over. Ashdown amps themselves may have some similarity to old TEs, but are not (to my knowledge) made by the same guys.

i thought that, just wanted to be sure!

i want a trace elliot head so bad! i tried the AH1000-12 one thats a grand and loved it! but i cant afford that anyne tried the AH500-7 they didnt have one in stock as they sold out ? i took this as a good sign? in thats its good?

or wat are the other possiblities for a trace head? for around 3- 400 pounds?

• Members

i thought that, just wanted to be sure!

i want a trace elliot head so bad! i tried the AH1000-12 one thats a grand and loved it! but i cant afford that anyne tried the AH500-7 they didnt have one in stock as they sold out ? i took this as a good sign? in thats its good?

or wat are the other possiblities for a trace head? for around 3- 400 pounds?

I got mine for about

• Members

the people who started ashdown were the marketing people behind TE. the current TE is designed by the same EE who designed all the old stuff. he brought over their power section a couple summers ago to test in the power amp lab. it's good stuff, and it still has the TE sound.

just to clarify, peavey bought crest, not crown. crown is owned by harman, my current employer. while for the first six years crest was a largely autonomous unit, the designs have been almost exclusively in meridian for the last few years, and the new jersey facility has been closed.

for the peavey skeptics out there, it's good to see y'all haven't noticed a change. actually, i think crest is selling better and being built more reliably now that it's centralized in mississippi.

robb.

Archived