What do you think of Marcus Miller?

diabolusnmusica

• Members

I've recently been listening to his Silver Rain album. I know it's just one album and not enough to judge the man's entire career by, but to me its just a bunch of grating pretentious wank. That ain't the way the bass is meant to be played.:mad::rolleyes:

What's your opinion? Can anybody suggest any better material?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've recently been listening to his Silver Rain album. I know it's just one album and not enough to judge the man's entire career by, but to me its just a bunch of grating pretentious wank. That ain't the way the bass is meant to be played.
:mad::rolleyes:

What's your opinion? Can anybody suggest any better material?

He's a God to me, and Silver Rain ain't his best work. To each his own, but that man has been at the forefront of electgric bass since he was 15 years old. I don't think you are in a position to evaluate him, if you've only heard one CD.

Maybe what he does ain't your cup of chai, but you have to respect his skills.

Edit: Listen to Miles Davis "Tutu", which he produced too, and Try "The Sun Don't lie". Also, Look into his work with both David Sanborn and Luther Vandross, both of whom owe their careers to him.

• Members

Live & More

The Ozell Tapes

His studio albums are great, but I think his best stuff are the live albums with his band (which is HOT).

I think MM is the best slap bass players out there. Aside from technique, the guy has serious groove and a lot of melody in his slap bass lines (let alone solos), which a lot of people just don't or can't do.

• Members
Live & More

The Ozell Tapes

His studio albums are great, but I think his best stuff are the live albums with his band (which is HOT).

I think MM is the best slap bass players out there. Aside from technique, the guy has serious groove and a lot of melody in his slap bass lines (let alone solos), which a lot of people just don't or can't do.

+1. I used to have a bootleg a friend made for me when Hiram Bullock used to be in the band. The sound quality was awful, but the playing was amazing!!! Marcus, Hiram and Bernard Wright just killed it!!

• Members

I've recently been listening to his Silver Rain album. I know it's just one album and not enough to judge the man's entire career by, but to me its just a bunch of grating pretentious wank. That ain't the way the bass is meant to be played.
:mad::rolleyes:

Wank? I might have thought so at first but don't think so after I've gotten into it. Sometimes out front bass is exactly what I want to hear. It's a solo album that features the bass, no one should be surprised to year the bass step out front.

Listen to Bruce Lee and Boogie On Reaggae Woman. In 'Boogie On', listen to the groove he lays down in the bass track and don't listen to him play the melody. Stevie's left hand would be proud. I'd love to be able to lay that down as tight as that, it's busy but it grooves.

Bruce Lee is a bass masterpiece, he does the groove, melody line and solo's all with one bass track and it never feels like any part is missing. When he goes into the section at the end with sax solo, it's freakin Deja Vu of when he was playing with Miles which is my favorite Miles Davis period. As in this:

The other thing is that if you listen to some guys wank, it's all slap rhythms and popping drum type sounds, nothing melodic. To me THAT's wankage. Tell me which track on that album is wank. Not one....and okay I just saw Jazzy's post and maybe I got pulled out into a troll type thread. Oh well, I'm just sayin. :blah:

• Members

He's a God to me, and Silver Rain ain't his best work. To each his own, but that man has been at the forefront of electric bass since he was 15 years old. I don't think you are in a position to evaluate him, if you've only heard one CD.

Maybe what he does ain't your cup of chai, but you have to respect his skills.

Edit: Listen to Miles Davis "Tutu", which he produced too, and Try "The Sun Don't lie". Also, Look into his work with both David Sanborn and Luther Vandross, both of whom owe their careers to him.

Word! Have a look see at his credits on allmusic.com and you'll be surprised at what he's done not only for the bass world but for the music industry and film industry! He's also got numerous amounts of awards! His solo cd's in no way define the man! He's as well rounded a musician you'll find (on several instruments to boot). That cd he produced for Wayne Shorter is freaky!

Damn, that Miles clip was intense! That's music!!

• Members

Marcus is an amazing player. One of my all time favorites and probably the best slap-style player out there right now.

Silver Rain was a little disappointing after M2. But it sitll has some great stuff on it.

M2 is probably his best overall work IMO. Between Power and Nikki's Song for great out front slap style to his cover of Burning Down the House (which totally kicks ass) to his rendition of Goodbye Porkpie Hat (which he won a grammy for IIRC) where he shows off his prowess on a fretless.

He is a phenominal player and can cover any style out there. Not just slap.

• Members

I'm sure he has a lot of talent, but it's a shame he didn't put all that energy into playing an instrument more geared towards solo play, like guitar or violin or something.

There's a reason people don't play music written for trumpets on tubas, it just doesn't sound as good.

Archived