What do you think of Marcus Miller?

diabolusnmusica

• Members

You know that for a fact, right? Because last time I heard it, the piccolo part of "Stars and Stripes Forever" sounded badass on a tuba.

Obviously I'm making a statement based on personal (and perceived general) taste. So no, it wouldn't be a fact.

I'm just saying there isn't much of a market for shred tuba. Partially because I think it's much harder to pick out low frequency parts and really appreciate them. Most piano pieces are written with the low end part a good deal simpler than the upper end part. Same idea.

Bass soloists end up using a bunch of slap/pop and harmonic stuff to get up into the sonic range that a guitar is already at. It's limiting. I'm not saying it can't be done well, but it's a lot like building a ship in a bottle.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know that for a fact, right? Because last time I heard it, the piccolo part of "Stars and Stripes Forever" sounded badass on a tuba.

My late dad was a tuba player and he used to play that piccolo part. Wow, I hadn't thought of that since I was 10. At the time I thought he was the only one that ever did that. But yes, it was way cool.

• Members
I'm sure he has a lot of talent, but it's a shame he didn't put all that energy into playing an instrument more geared towards solo play, like guitar or violin or something.

There's a reason people don't play music written for trumpets on tubas, it just doesn't sound as good.

Ur umm.........a little more research will have revealed that he does play the bass clarinet and sax very well in addition to guitar and keyboards! Yes his solo efforts are to showcase his bass playing but most everything else he's done, he's more in a support role although he's written and produced everything! Like it or not, the cat is highly regarded in the music industry!

• Members

Ur umm.........a little more research will have revealed that he does play the bass clarinet and sax very well in addition to guitar and keyboards! Yes his solo efforts are to showcase his bass playing but most everything else he's done, he's more in a support role although he's written and produced everything! Like it or not, the cat is highly regarded in the music industry!

I'm just responding to the OP.

Why would I dislike MM being highly regarded in the music industry? Good for him, I'm sure he's worked his ass off to get there. I'm not doubting his talents at all.

Sure, I could do more research. I didn't realize this thread was only for Marcus Miller scholars.

• Members

He's a God to me, and Silver Rain ain't his best work.

Right now I happen to be going through a time with my playing where Marcus has become one of my influences, way late I know, but that's the story of my life.

Anyway, while Silver Rain may not show all that Marcus can do musically as a composer and artist, as a bass solo album IMO it stands right up there with any other.

• Members

I'm sure he has a lot of talent, but it's a shame he didn't put all that energy into playing an instrument more geared towards solo play, like guitar or violin or something.

There's a reason people don't play music written for trumpets on tubas, it just doesn't sound as good.

I would have to disagree with you chunk. I think the bass can be just as much of a solo instrument as anything else.

Just ask Stu:

• Members

Obviously I'm making a statement based on personal (and perceived general) taste. So no, it wouldn't be a fact.

I'm just saying there isn't much of a market for shred tuba. Partially because I think it's much harder to pick out low frequency parts and really appreciate them. Most piano pieces are written with the low end part a good deal simpler than the upper end part. Same idea.

Bass soloists end up using a bunch of slap/pop and harmonic stuff to get up into the sonic range that a guitar is already at. It's limiting. I'm not saying it can't be done well, but it's a lot like building a ship in a bottle.

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree. There is as much of a market for shred tuba to the tuba playing folk as there is a market for electric bass for us. While I do agree that the lower the note the harder the distinction, at the same point a great tuba player can make every note ring with as much clarity as a bell.

And most piano solo pieces have a pretty heavy left hand, which can be more complicated at times than the right.

• Members

I think MM's a living legend. On bass, the guy defines taste, tone, time, and note choice. He's done so for close to three decades. He gained worldwide attention under the age of 20, and was a first-call session guy in NYC since the late seventies. His solo career is just a part of his backstory.

• Members

Great, a troll busy baiting.

Ummm...no, actually I am dead serious. Silver Rain is the only album I have ever heard by him, and I think it sucks. I may have heard some of his stuff with Miles Davis. I'm trying to get suggestions for better stuff, because I just don't see that album justifying his reputation.

I love his sig bass, though.

• Members

Marcus is my main influence at bass. You have to look at his DVD live "master of all trades". But the best thing is og to sse him play live.
i've seen it two times and promised myself come back each time he play next to the place i live.
:thu:

• Members
I've recently been listening to his Silver Rain album. I know it's just one album and not enough to judge the man's entire career by, but to me its just a bunch of grating pretentious wank. That ain't the way the bass is meant to be played.
:mad::rolleyes:

What's your opinion? Can anybody suggest any better material?

I haven't heard that album, but back in 1983 when I was a 16 yr old taking lessons, my teacher ( a session player himself) loaned me 'Mountain Dance' by Dave Grusin. I still listen to it ....I think Miller had been on the scene a few years by then, but I thought 'this guy could do well'

I think his slapping is great.

But, I might have a listen ....a lot of artists release 'obscure' albums now and then ....heck, what about Jaco's Word of Mouth, great stuff but the diversity reflects what he was going through ( ie., decent in into trouble times)

suggest better material? by Miller? check out his web site.....you have to do your own work

• Members

to me, the bass is about Jaco and Marcus....in no particular order.

Marcus has been such an influence on me and I love his tone so much that the FET channel on our amps is designed after his tone.

Does HE know that? Cause he is no longer with EBS. I think you need to make a call Roger.............

• Members
marcus is the man...i couldnt work with his tone though, having a signature tone is really a double egded sword

+1. Mind you , after reading this thread I spent a good hour looking up his videos and youtube, and discovered the origin of the single most annoying bass tone (to me) in the known galaxy. After Fieldy of course. When he is kayting down the "bass" part here (

) its bad ass, but once he starts into the higher registers, its just meh. That "My action is so low it sounds like I'm slapping" thing just bugs me. But I'm more of a JPJ/ Larry Graham guy :D

• Members

+1. Mind you , after reading this thread I spent a good hour looking up his videos and youtube, and discovered the origin of the single most annoying bass tone (to me) in the known galaxy.

I listened to a few of the youtube clips posted here yesterday, and I think this is really what I dislike. Not his playing, per se, but his tone. There is so much treble it always sounds like massive fret buzz, and just grates on my nerves.

• Members

...to other people, sure...but to the player? I've been thru keys & guitar and there's no place I'd rather write & perform than on eletric bass. Sorry. But that's a feel thing, pure and simple.
In my world, nothing is better geared for solo play like electric bass. :)

• Members

+1. Mind you , after reading this thread I spent a good hour looking up his videos and youtube, and discovered the origin of the single most annoying bass tone (to me) in the known galaxy. After Fieldy of course. When he is kayting down the "bass" part here (
Marcus, Stanley, and Victor
) its bad ass, but once he starts into the higher registers, its just meh. That "My action is so low it sounds like I'm slapping" thing just bugs me. But I'm more of a JPJ/ Larry Graham guy
:D

Larry Graham's tone and Marcus's are variations on the same theme.

• Members

I'm generally a rocker, but back in the eighties I started digging David Sanborn and got a bunch of his albums. I was into his sax and the music, but I'd never heard bass like that! To me that bass was as enjoyable and as big a part of that music as the sax. I came for the sax and the sound, but stayed for the bass and the groove. (I think MM co-wrote a bunch of the Sanborn songs, too).

I saw Sanborn three times here in NC during the mid-eighties; I was really into his music then so I really loved the shows. By that time I knew of MM thru his work with Sanborn but nothing else.

At those concerts Sanborn was the star, I guess, but damn if Marcus wasn't the Entertainer! (and band leader apparently) [i think Hiram was with them then btw] He was fun as heck to watch as well as hear.

At that time I'd never seen anyone really leave the stage and go running around the theater while playing and soloing. The first time I saw them perform I didn't even realize he'd left the stage; the crowd was going wild during a song and I couldn't figure why -- then he came busting thru the back doors of the theater, and made his way down to the stage while tearing it up in the aisles; that was very cool and impressive to me. But mostly it was exciting; man, that was a thrill.

Archived