Genz benz GBE1200 review

D Aussie

• Members

The "problem" w/ Austalia is that there is so much 240 volt distribution still in use and coupled with poor transmission and feeder regulation the variations can exceed +10% of the nominal voltage. For a normal 230 volt grid, the high line condition we would commonly design for is about 255 volts. For 240 volts grids it's 265 volts. In Australia, it's appearantly not uncommon to see 270-275 volt peaks depending on the loading of the grid/feeders and the location... how far away from the distribution substation you are located. It's a BIG and not very densely populated country!

A voltage regulator would work except that many do not perform very well under dynamic loads, like a large power amp. They tend to hunt while trying to regulate on a spongey source and may fail themselves. Not a very good idea.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
D Assie, Is it my imagination or could you fly to the US and buy your GB 600 here cheaper than buying the amp down under and air fare?

Probably.
When I finally do fly to the US.
I will be loading up on gear before I head home.
However.. the power supply issues now scare me.
:wave:

• Members

1200 is never overkill :D

then again, im playing through a 4x10 with a band that has two peavey 100W tube heads and 4x12 cabs and a loud ass drummer...

1200 is overkill when paired with a solid amount of speakers, but through a 4x10 its nothin to write home about...sits in the mix fine but not overpowering...its not just the wattage that dictates loudness, its the number and quality of the speakers too

Archived