Genz benz GBE1200 review

D Aussie

• Members

Why does this amp exist?:confused:

I finally got to spend some time in real life in front of some GB gear at Drum City in Sydneys inner west.

I wanted to check out a GBE600 and 2x10, but all they had was a GBE1200 and a 6x10.

So.. I tried that out instead. Plugged in any old passive Fender jazz.

The fellah in the shop told me to crank it if you want.

He switched it on and volume was set to master 1.

It sounded really nice and really loud.

Once the fellah had gone I go to fiddle with all the knobs which are a great selection. They seem to have the facility to dial in pretty much any eq shape.

The thing that stood out most about this amp is how incredibly, unbeleiveably loud it is. :eek::eek::eek:

Ive seen amps set up in the shops to appear louder with eq settings high and input gain high, to make the purchaser think the amp will be heaps louder in the real world, but this thing seemed to have no limit!

I turned the moster up to about 5/10 and at the distance required to adjust settings on the amp, the bass geetar just kept feeding back because it was pumping out so much volume.

I A/B this amp with an Eden WT800 4x10 and 15 and a SVT something or other with 8x10. Neither could really hold a candle to this monster.

I was a little dissapointed in the tube chanel, and expected more from it, I guess, but was more than taken with the mosfet pre.

I am blown away with how good this amp sounded, and how powerful it was.

I cant actually imagine a situation where anyone would ever need to be this loud, because by then, you should have decent PA support, but {censored} on a stick it was loud.

I am very impressed. Im not likely to ever be in a position to buy a 1200 and a 6x10 new, but I will be keeping my eyes peeled for GB products as they appear on the 2nd hand market in AU, and Im pretty sure, without even trying it, that the GBE600 would be more than loud enuf for me.:thu:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because some peeps just havent evolved to the point of useing clubs PA for their main sound system. And they cant figure out that when lower volume is needed, a lower wattage amp will do better sound qaulity at those lower volumes. Also keep in mind that 6x10 will push a lot more air then 2x10 which of course results in much greater perceived volume.

• Members

And they cant figure out that when lower volume is needed, a lower wattage amp will do better sound qaulity at those lower volumes.

This isn't true with a Genz...both the Neopack and the 600 sounded nearly the same all the way up and down the dial. Sure, in tube settings you'll lose a little grit to get REALLY quiet, but not much. It's amazing. Same with their cabs too...I have to crank my Ampeg system to get the tone I want, but not the Genz stuff I played....

• Members

I am blown away with how good this amp sounded, and how powerful it was. I cant actually imagine a situation where anyone would ever need to be this loud, because by then, you should have decent PA support, but {censored} on a stick it was loud.

I am very impressed. Im not likely to ever be in a position to buy a 1200 and a 6x10 new, but I will be keeping my eyes peeled for GB products as they appear on the 2nd hand market in AU, and Im pretty sure, without even trying it, that the GBE600 would be more than loud enuf for me.
:thu:

Here's a little reminder of your experience.

Rig3_A.jpg

Fortunately for me, I get to play this when ever I want.

TD

• Members

Glad you enjoyed it dude, I feel the same way about overdriving the tube channel, when its clean it sounds great, nice and warm...but the overdrive just didn't do it for me.

and yeah, im starting to regret not buying the 6x10 instead of the 4x10 when i had the chance...despite this, what i love the most of all is that while all the options are there for me to screw around with my tone, at the moment all I do is set my EQ flat, and I get great tone and cut well! And I'm in a band where im competing with two 4x12 guitar rigs! So really that says a lot :)

• Members

Glad you enjoyed it dude, I feel the same way about overdriving the tube channel, when its clean it sounds great, nice and warm...but the overdrive just didn't do it for me.

and yeah, im starting to regret not buying the 6x10 instead of the 4x10 when i had the chance...despite this, what i love the most of all is that while all the options are there for me to screw around with my tone, at the moment all I do is set my EQ flat, and I get great tone and cut well! And I'm in a band where im competing with two 4x12 guitar rigs! So really that says a lot
:)

T-Rex BassJuice

Thats your overdrive right there. I run it into my GBE600, and it dirties up the tone just perfectly without killing the low end.

• Members

T-Rex BassJuice

Thats your overdrive right there. I run it into my GBE600, and it dirties up the tone just perfectly without killing the low end.

Cheers for the heads up, if i can find a supplier in Australia I might have a go at one. For now though, I've got my PD-7 running just how i like it...:D

I wonder where MacGinkle is, he has a 1200 too, hasn't been on here in a while. Anyone want to start posting their amp settings? I'm curious what kinda EQ settings n stuff you guys use

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anyone know if I can ship a GBE1200 from the USA (I'm in Australia) and have it work on our power (240V) ??

I played one of these yesterday.

I tried the Mesa Big Block 750, and loved the clean tone, but the overdrive just sounded like someone farting. I didn't really like the Ampeg SVT4-Pro either.

THE GBE1200 BLEW ME OFF MY SEAT!!!

I'm normally not one to fiddle with eq knobs, which is why I sat down with the Big Block 750 first.... And I was a little daunted by all the eq possibilities on the GBE1200 (I just know how to play, thats about it :cry:), but when I sat down and had a fiddle, it was really quite straight forward.

Its now a matter of how soon I can get the cash together, and if its possible to import direct from the US... That'll save me a couple of bucks, cos the brother-in-law owns a shipping company ;)

Otherwise I just have to save my pennies for a while longer and get one that'll run on 240V.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Azz, from the manual:

Power is supplied to the amplifier through an IEC type detachable cord set. The main fuse (and a spare) is located in a slide-out drawer in the bottom half of the IEC connector. See the fuse chart on the back panel of the amplifier for information pertaining to your country

• Members

Does anyone know if I can ship a GBE1200 from the USA (I'm in Australia) and have it work on our power (240V) ??

I played one of these yesterday.

I tried the Mesa Big Block 750, and loved the clean tone, but the overdrive just sounded like someone farting. I didn't really like the Ampeg SVT4-Pro either.

THE GBE1200 BLEW ME OFF MY SEAT!!!

I'm normally not one to fiddle with eq knobs, which is why I sat down with the Big Block 750 first.... And I was a little daunted by all the eq possibilities on the GBE1200 (I just know how to play, thats about it
:cry:
), but when I sat down and had a fiddle, it was really quite straight forward.

Its now a matter of how soon I can get the cash together, and if its possible to import direct from the US... That'll save me a couple of bucks, cos the brother-in-law owns a shipping company
;)
Otherwise I just have to save my pennies for a while longer and get one that'll run on 240V.

Thanks guys!

mmm I'd say save yourself the hassle and just buy one from a store and push a hard bargain. Where abouts in Aussie are you from?

• Members

Australia poses lots of problems for some other amp makers because in certain areas, voltage spikes can be 270+.

We've taken this into account which is why the amps we ship to Australia are different then others.

• Members

I wonder where MacGinkle is, he has a 1200 too, hasn't been on here in a while. Anyone want to start posting their amp settings? I'm curious what kinda EQ settings n stuff you guys use

Still around, though spending less time on the bass forum of late.

Re EQ, i basically run flat except for scooping off the high end. having said that i also run a compressor and a Sansamp RBI so that will change the result.

I had the privelige of running my GBE1200 through an Ampeg 8x10 at our last gig (supplied backline). The "whole body" experience of standing in front of that was incredible.

I'm still happier with my 2 Neo2x12 rig, but the Ampeg had a great presence.

Re getting Genz stuff in Australia - i wouldnt worry about special shipping. Just drive a hard bargain (use cash) with a retailer. I managed to get all my genz gear at prices significantly below marked retail just by approaching the deal correctly. PM me for full details if anyone is that interested.

• Members

Still around, though spending less time on the bass forum of late.

Re EQ, i basically run flat except for scooping off the high end. having said that i also run a compressor and a Sansamp RBI so that will change the result.

I had the privelige of running my GBE1200 through an Ampeg 8x10 at our last gig (supplied backline). The "whole body" experience of standing in front of that was incredible.

I'm still happier with my 2 Neo2x12 rig, but the Ampeg had a great presence.

Re getting Genz stuff in Australia - i wouldnt worry about special shipping. Just drive a hard bargain (use cash) with a retailer. I managed to get all my genz gear at prices significantly below marked retail just by approaching the deal correctly. PM me for full details if anyone is that interested.

+1

I did the same thing to get mine, managed to get them to shave a couple of hundred off the already reduced sale price.

Garnicle, you'll be pleased to hear then that GB are in the early stages of bringing out an 8x10 ;)

That reminds me too, my mates hold a "Bass Day" every now and then when a heap of bassists turn up with their rigs and try out each other's gear, next time theres one on ill PM you. GB represent!

• Members

Firstly, WOW! You guys are awesome! I've definately found a forum that I'm going to enjoy being a part of. I can't imagine that I would contribute all that much, I just don't have the knowledge... but I'm still happy to be here after replies like them!

I've been a self-taught bassist for the past 9 years, and I've decided that lessons are now the way to go. So I don't know much about music, I just know how to play the $#&@ out of my basses!

Been_effected: I'm in Sydney... The Hills District.

I know a fella that works in Billy Hyde. He also runs the rehearsal studios that my band, and the bands I manage, use. So I'll get a good deal there...

I just saw the GBE1200s on eBay America, and some guy was selling them new for $1500AU (roughly). I figured that might be an option - thats how I got my thunderbird, and I saved a heap of cash on it too!

hasbeen: Does GB have any promo material? stickers, shirts etc? I'm salivating at the thought that I'm going to own a GBE1200 in the next few months, and I want something now haha

Speaker cabs: What do you GBE1200 owners use as speaker cabs? what sort of setups? I'm going to be playing metal + slap.

Thanks again guys!

• Members

+1

I did the same thing to get mine, managed to get them to shave a couple of hundred off the already reduced sale price.

Garnicle, you'll be pleased to hear then that GB are in the early stages of bringing out an 8x10
;)

That reminds me too, my mates hold a "Bass Day" every now and then when a heap of bassists turn up with their rigs and try out each other's gear, next time theres one on ill PM you. GB represent!

Re 8x10: I'm sure it will be the duck's nuts, but i deliberately went for a portable/flexible rig, hence the two 2x12 cabs. I'll use an 8x10 when someone else puts it there however. :p

Re Bass Day: I would be keen to go along to that (and live with the fact that i would be busted for having a lot more gear than talent).

Azz301: To reiterate what Hasbeen and Mr Effected have said, I'm pretty sure the Yank and Aussie amps have different power supplies. You could save a few hundred bucks on a 120volt (?) yank amp (after shipping) then deal with trying to find a device that can transform 120volts to 240 volts for the high level of power the amp will draw, then carry said device around at all your gigs.

In my humble opinion you will save more money and buggarising around by just getting your cash together and driving a hard bargain with an Aussie retailer.

• Members

DO NOT BUY A GBE1200 FROM THE U.S. for use in Australia.

The "U.S." amps and "European" amps are the same: just flick the little switch on the back of the amp for the proper voltage between the US and Europe.

Our amps for Aus. are not only set for the 240 volt, they are also set to handle the SPIKES!.......that go way over 240 volt.

T-Shirts and stuff- I'm afraid at this time we don't have any.

• Members

Why does this amp exist?
:confused:
:thu:

All that power is not about volume, it's about tone quality. Volume is an added benefit. an amp like that is going to more accurately reproduce bass frequencies, and all those cool transient harmonics our instrument produces, even at low volumes.

That's why it exists!

Archived