Genz benz GBE1200 review

D Aussie

• Members

DO NOT BUY A GBE1200 FROM THE U.S. for use in Australia.

The "U.S." amps and "European" amps are the same: just flick the little switch on the back of the amp for the proper voltage between the US and Europe.

Our amps for Aus. are not only set for the 240 volt, they are also set to handle the SPIKES!.......that go way over 240 volt.

T-Shirts and stuff- I'm afraid at this time we don't have any.

Out of curiousity, would a Furman AR-2306 AC LINE VOLTAGE REGULATOR allow you to run a USA/International GBE1200 safely in Australia?

If I am reading the specs correctly, it can output 220V +-10V with input voltages between 174V and 264V.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Out of curiousity, would a Furman AR-2306 AC LINE VOLTAGE REGULATOR allow you to run a USA/International GBE1200 safely in Australia?

If I am reading the specs correctly, it can output 220V +-10V with input voltages between 174V and 264V.

I still wouldn't do it- many amp companies have issues in Australia and not because of the 240 but because of the spikes. Once again, the spikes can kill amps that aren't designed with them in mind....ours are.

With the Furman, its possible a spike would kill it. I'll yield to our engineer (agedhorse/andy) if he has any input.

• Members

You and me both
:D
Have you got some recordings/myspace up of your band yet?

I just checked - no we dont. I'll blame the others.

We recorded 3 tracks a few weekends ago for the very purpose. As a side story, the "just recorded" unmixed sound was really good (lots of drums and bass) but the final product was a big mess of guitar overdubbs.

Guess which instrument our recording engineer normally plays :mad:

• Members

I just checked - no we dont. I'll blame the others.

We recorded 3 tracks a few weekends ago for the very purpose. As a side story, the "just recorded" unmixed sound was really good (lots of drums and bass) but the final product was a big mess of guitar overdubbs.

Guess which instrument our recording engineer normally plays
:mad:

hahaha I must be a lucky man, my guitarist mixed our last few recordings and i was asking him to turn the guitars up!

If thats the case then just chuck up the unmixed versions on myspace :D go on, no one will notice ;)

Hang on, you play metal don't you? Aren't guitars sposed to dominate? Or are you going for a less stereotypical sound....

• Members

Hang on, you play metal don't you? Aren't guitars sposed to dominate? Or are you going for a less stereotypical sound....

My old band was metal. My current band is kindof rock/metal with a girl on vocals.

In my totally unbiased opinion( :p ) we sound good when drums and bass are dominating the mix.

You obviously have some kind of magical guitarist who actually knows his place in the grand scheme of things. Have you contacted the Guinness world records people?

• Members

My old band was metal. My current band is kindof rock/metal with a girl on vocals.

In my totally unbiased opinion(
:p
) we sound good when drums and bass are dominating the mix.

You obviously have some kind of magical guitarist who actually knows his place in the grand scheme of things. Have you contacted the Guinness world records people?

Yeah, they didn't believe me :cry:

Well if that's the case I'd better hear some tunes soon! or come gigging with us :p We've just booked our first gig for August 17 @ Club Phoenix, I'm already having trouble sleeping :eekphil:

• Members

Yeah, they didn't believe me
:cry:

Well if that's the case I'd better hear some tunes soon! or come gigging with us
:p
We've just booked our first gig for August 17 @ Club Phoenix, I'm already having trouble sleeping
:eekphil:

Nice one. According to our website (which is not necessarily accurate) we have a gig that night at the Globe Theatre at 8pm.

Send me some more details closer to the 17th. If i can i'll drop in to phoenix before/after our show.

Phoenix is great, you'll get to use the supplied Ampeg 8x10.

• Members

I still wouldn't do it- many amp companies have issues in Australia and not because of the 240 but because of the spikes. Once again, the spikes can kill amps that aren't designed with them in mind....ours are.

With the Furman, its possible a spike would kill it. I'll yield to our engineer (agedhorse/andy) if he has any input.

any particular reason why spikes in Australia are more deadly (ampwise) than spikes anywhere else?

• Members

any particular reason why spikes in Australia are more deadly (ampwise) than spikes anywhere else?

yes....because they aren't just spikes.....they're SPIKES.....up passed 270. I understand the more north you get in Australia, the more prevalent they are. I don't know if this is true or not....just what we've heard.

• Members

That's what you get for giving a bunch of inbred criminals the keys to the power plant.

Thats exactly right... doesn't help being right next to germany either... ;)

Trust an American to have the smallest possible world view hehe

Get it right - the inbreeders are in Tasmania, thats the most southern state of Australia, its also an island that looks exactly like a patch of pubic hair. The people of Queensland (up north) aren't inbreeders, they're just dickheads in general... as the saying goes "Queensland truly is God's Country - why he chose to fill it with dickheads shall remain a mystery."

Infact, heres a quick lesson on Australian states...

New South Wales - Captial is Sydney, one fifth of the countries population lives in Sydney. Thats gotta say something.

Victoria - the weather system there has tourettes syndrome. "cold, HOT! rain, ahhh sun, {censored}! BRING A JACKET!" All four seasons in a day.

Tasmania - full of inbreeding rednecks. damn cold too.

South Australia - proof that Tasmanians can swim. How do you feel about churches?

Northern Territory - On the run from someone? come up here, we are too! Its frontier land! We love it when tourists see the crocodile warnings on lakes and think they're just for show!

Western Australia - 12pm east australian time is 1997 over there.

Queensland - Most beautiful place in the country... but if you like to drink high strength rum and punch-out your mate/girlfriend/neighbours-dog, then this is the place for you.

Now that I've cleared that up, I feel obliged to add something relevant to the topic.... "the GBE1200 kicks ass - buy one. now."

• Members

Queensland - Most beautiful place in the country... but if you like to drink high strength rum and punch-out your mate/girlfriend/neighbours-dog, then this is the place for you.

well why else do you think i live here? nothing i love more than running around pouring rum up my nostrils and assaulting randoms :freak:

• Members

yes....because they aren't just spikes.....they're SPIKES.....up passed 270. I understand the more north you get in Australia, the more prevalent they are. I don't know if this is true or not....just what we've heard.

that is weird, I 've heard of plenty of people using foreign made transformers in Aussie amps with no problems AFAIK they were all regular 240:confused:.

• Members

Had a feeling that would get all the aussies out of the woodwork ;)

been_effected: its true tho, given the chance (ie work oppurtunity) I'd move up to brissie in a heartbeat. I've got a cousin on the sunshine coast, so I've got free accomodation whenever I like! Thats what family is for... having your ridiculous demands imposed on them, cos no one else will cop your {censored}! :D

Kontra: it certainly poses the question as how all other amps stand up to aussie powerspikes? I've used the GK700RB without a worry for a while now. Haven't noticed a problem with it....

• Members

Azz and Kontra- are you guys from up North?

nope I'm from Adelaide, most of the north is pretty sparsely populated, with the exception of Queensland, although they're more along the coast.

I've asked a few of the amp builders here and they were all valve amp builders so it wasn't an issue for them. Fluctuations up to 260 V were common for them from mains. One reason suggested as to why other O/S companies may have problems with the power is using 230 volt transformers, while Australia officially swapped over to 230V with 240 within tolerances little if none of the infrastructure has been updated, at this point I'll thank the previous government for privitising the state power.

Archived