Peavey T-40

Mytola

• Members

Whaaaat

Why?
:confused:

I have no idea. It's an alder body, maple neck, etc, all standard, but it's a REALLY dense cut. Not that it bothers me at all, but yeah. I'm a big guy and there's a hefty strap on it. Yamaha Aircell thing. I wear it around all the time. I've played MUCH lighter basses(like my other two, haha), and it feels no different to me, really. My local tech and my teacher both grunt when they pick it up. :p

• Members

Just to chime in with my $0.02, I used to have the guitar corollary to the T-40, the T-60.

It was quite heavy and dense, but it took me through many gigs and I thought it felt quite comfortable, sitting or standing. I miss it and have always thought about a T-40.

Two things I can say about the T-60: WIDE variety of tones. I could dial up everything from Tele spank to Les Paul cream to Strat squonk and also get some great clean tones--almost acoustic and bell-like. And all this straight from the guitar without even adjusting the amp.

The other thing: these things are built like damn tanks. From the tuners to the bridge, solid as all get out. I think you could drop one from a 5 story building and it wouldn't go out of tune.

• Members

Doesnt and hasnt owned one, however knew a couple kids who had those when they first came out. Wasnt impressed by them then. Both owners later replaced with other basses, one with a gibson ripper type with the sliding pup, the other with the 3 pup version of Gibson ripper. Thought both those sounded and played better myself. Of the peavey basses from that era thought the fury a better bass sound and playing wise.

• Members

As I posted in this thread:

Now, my opinions on the T-40 are a bit biased, as I own three, but here goes anyway:

The first T-40s were all made with northern hard ash bodies with satin finish and 2 piece maple necks. A few years into production, they started adding rosewood fretboards as an option, as well as different finishes. I'm not sure when, but at some point, they started making the bodies of the solid finished ones out of poplar. Soon after adding the rosewood fretboards, they changed the pickups to the exposed blades. From the beginning of production until a few years after changing the pickups, all T-40s had aluminum nuts, but then they changed to plastic. The last change that was made was the mini toggles were swtiched to larger toggles with rounded tips.

Yes, they do tend to be a little heavy, but there are some that are lighter than others. My first T-40 (the one in the avatar) is a bit lighter than my other two. Also, the pickups that they used on the later models with the exposed blades do sound a tad different than the earlier "toaster" models; they are a little bit hotter and a bit brighter sounding, but both kinds sound great.

The circuitry is the most unique feature about the T-40. The tone controls are wired up so that from 1 to 7, the pickups function as normal humbuckers, but from 7 to 10, they act as single coils. The phase switch can also add another trippy dimension to the sound, although some people aren't really a fan of it.

These were the first basses to be made with CNC, and they were also the first to use bi-laminated necks with the trussrod pretensioned before the neck was carved, and both of these innovations were copied by Leo Fender when he started making G&Ls.

Keep in mind that to adjust the trussrod, you need to have a special tool from Peavey, but it only costs about $6.

As far as price goes, $300 is the most I would pay for one in great shape with minimal fretware and the original, blow-molded case. $250 is a good deal if the frets are in fair shape with the normal wear and tear from ~20 years of use.

Needless to say, I love all three of mine and wouldn't trade them for anything, weight be damned.

Archived