Noob in need of amp. Please share your wisdom.

88mm

• Members

I have played guitar for about 8 years or so. I just bought a SquireII P-bass. I am wanting it for recording and to learn how to play.

I am using an old Sunn Model T For my guitar and for my bass. But the guitar speakers are not going to cut it. I am in need of a decent budget bass combo. One for around the house and if I have a buddy come over loud enough to play with. I would like to keep it under $150 (so the wife doesn't hurt me).

ANy ideas?

Thanks!

• Members

Well I use the Sunn For my guitar. I thought about Just using the Sunn for the bass. But I have alwaysed used it for my guitar and I don't want to start over again with a new guitar amp. So I am wanting a dedicated bass amp.

Thanks

• Members

Well I use the Sunn For my guitar. I thought about Just using the Sunn for the bass. But I have alwaysed used it for my guitar and I don't want to start over again with a new guitar amp. So I am wanting a dedicated bass amp.

Thanks

I'm a little confused. Using the Model T for bass isn't going to leave it with severe psychological trauma or anything. You can still use it for guitar.

• Members

I'm a little confused. Using the Model T for bass isn't going to leave it with severe psychological trauma or anything. You can still use it for guitar.

I understand that using the Sunn with a new cab will work.

I am needing a dedicated bass amp because I have friends that come over to play.

So While I play guitar on my Sunn they can play Bass on a different amp.

I would like to have a dedicated bass combo so I don't have to go through the trouble of switching cabs and also to use in a "jam" type setting.

• Moderators

I would like to have a dedicated bass combo so I don't have to go through the trouble of switching cabs and also to use in a "jam" type setting.

That explains it better. Try a used Peavey TNT or TKO 115. $150 isn't much, but that would probably be very reliable (although heavy) and possible to find for $150.

• Members

I understand that using the Sunn with a new cab will work.

I am needing a dedicated bass amp because I have friends that come over to play.

So While I play guitar on my Sunn they can play Bass on a different amp.

Ahhh, I get it now. But I don't know where you're going to find something new for $150 that isn't destined to catch fire. You might try your luck on ebay.

• Members

Used is cool.

I am not wanting to go crazy with it since I really don't play bass. So something smaller and sounds decent will work fine. It is just for home use and practice anyway.

Thanks

• Members

If you're playing a 100w tube head you're gonna want to turn up a little. Get something with at least a little volume.

That means a 115 combo at least.

The Peavey combos are hella loud and very easy to find cheaply used. That's an a+ recommendation in my book.

You can find used Ampeg BA115's for as low as 200 bucks, which is also an OK deal.

• Members

Volume is a question. I don't crank the Sunn. If I did I think I would lose a limb or something. Way too loud. I keep the Sunn at about 1/4 volume at home (if that). Then Juice it up when playing out. That is why I thought a smaller combo would work.

• Members

If you're playing a 100w tube head you're gonna want to turn up a little. Get something with at least a little volume.

That means a 115 combo at least.

The Peavey combos are hella loud and very easy to find cheaply used. That's an a+ recommendation in my book.

You can find used Ampeg BA115's for as low as 200 bucks, which is also an OK deal.

i think he is talking about a 100 watt tube amp which is as loud as a 400 watt SS amp

he don't need more amp he just needs some bass speakers.

• Members

You could check out Fenders BXR series. They can be had for cheap and built like a tank. The sound is a little sterile but they have a huge eq section.

I've got the BXR 200 which is loud, has chorus and doesn't sound horrible.

Yo.

Archived