"Good Music" From A 14yo Girl

Thunderbroom

• Members
im 23 and ive never heard of any of them either. then again i stopped listening to new music some time in the early to mid 90's with the exception of a few bands suggested by some of my friends.

Plus you're in Oklahoma and there's nothing new there. You guys probably peg your jeans, huh? :D:p

• Members

I can't stand any of those bands. I'm so burnt out on the generic bubblegum pop/emo {censored} that I just can't bear to listen. I hate to go on a rant here, but it's necessary. These record labels just pump out these talentless, teeny-bopper "bands" knowing that the 12-15 year olds just buy them up. It's nothing but a moneymaker. I'm so damn sick of how the art of music is just being bastardized over and over by money-hungry people.

/end rant

As for me, I'm way into experimental and indie stuff...As it is, I play instrumental experimental music as my main project. If I even SUSPECT that a person may be faking it (lipsyncing, faked instrument parts, etc) I won't waste my time listening.

• Members

I can understand a couple people not personally liking any of this stuff, but calling them talentless? Or just saying, straight up, that the music sucks?

Setting my personal preferences aside, I would have a really hard time calling Say Anything, All-American Rejects, Sufjan Stevens or Gym Class Heroes talentless. Even if I didn't particularly like them, I would have trouble saying any of those groups suck (even Panic! at the Disco who I particularly dislike).

• Members

I can understand a couple people not personally liking any of this stuff, but calling them talentless? Or just saying, straight up, that the music sucks?

Setting my personal preferences aside, I would have a really hard time calling Say Anything, All-American Rejects, Sufjan Stevens or Gym Class Heroes talentless. Even if I didn't particularly like them, I would have trouble saying any of those groups suck (even Panic! at the Disco who I particularly dislike).

I agree.

Say Anything knows how to write catchy songs. Sure, their singer is a bipolar nutjob, but he knows how to write hooks. And they're some nice guys. And even if AAR doesn't last, Tyson, the lead guy, will have a career writing pop songs. Go ahead and call him talentless, but his talent to write pop hits makes him lots of money and garners lots of listeners.

And Sufjan Stevens... If you call that guy talentless, you haven't listened to him. We're talking any given song having up toward 15 instrument tracks. He writes and records everything himself, then tours with a 10-piece band. He's currently working on one album for each state. He's done Michigan and Illinois.

• Moderators

I can't stand any of those bands. I'm so burnt out on the generic bubblegum pop/emo {censored} that I just can't bear to listen. I hate to go on a rant here, but it's necessary. These record labels just pump out these talentless, teeny-bopper "bands" knowing that the 12-15 year olds just buy them up. It's nothing but a moneymaker. I'm so damn sick of how the art of music is just being bastardized over and over by money-hungry people.

Watchoo got against making money? I tell ya, if I could pull it off, I'd do that generic teeny-bopper bubblegum in a heartbeat!

• Members

And Sufjan Stevens... If you call that guy talentless, you haven't listened to him. We're talking any given song having up toward 15 instrument tracks. He writes and records everything himself, then tours with a 10-piece band. He's currently working on one album for each state. He's done Michigan and Illinois.

He falls into the "Talented but boring" category.

• Members

/end rant

As for me, I'm way into experimental and indie stuff...As it is, I play instrumental experimental music as my main project. If I even SUSPECT that a person may be faking it (lipsyncing, faked instrument parts, etc) I won't waste my time listening.

:freak:

• Members

im 23 and ive never heard of any of them either. then again i stopped listening to new music some time in the early to mid 90's with the exception of a few bands suggested by some of my friends.

You're 23?!? I thought you were like 16:freak:

• Members

This goes back to the old "new music vs old music" debate.

My problem with new music is the crap thats on the radio and video. The new bands listed on that iPod are the excellent bands that get little notoriety

Your daughter likes a LOT of the newer bands that I like that SHOULD be on the radio/MTV instead of most of the drivel thats there. Ive been an OK Go fan for years, but theyve only got popular in the last year or so: Some other new bands ( past 5 years) that I love are Motion City Soundtrack, Click 5, Maroon 5, Spill Canvas, Phoenix, and The Sun - just to name a select few. Young kids bringing back harmonies and Major7 chords: its a beautiful thing......Instead, good ol corporate rock keeps cramming Nickelback down my throat........

Sad

Archived