Help Me Find a POWER AMP

burnthiscorpse

• Members

ok ok.....after much deliberation, and a few hours talking yesterday at FJA MODS, i have decided to forgo selling my d-180 for a 400. I have comissioned Jerry P to build me a One off custom rack mount pre amp. viced between a 400+ and a SVT. So i will need a good poweramp , something i never really dealt with. so what do i get? a Crown? QSC? wtf else is there out there? new and used? how much do they run new and used? reliability?(which should be good for a solid state power amp i assume). overkill or not, i wanna go with like 2000 watts:cool: . i dont ever want to "want" for headroom.

as far as the pre-amp, it will be two rack space, chicken head knobs, bass, mid, mid sweep, treble, still thinking about a 5 way mid selector(probably not with the sweep) 1 or 2 voice shift buttons. tuner out, foot switchable mute. XLR in and outs, NO FX loop (at my request) DI out.

• Members
ok ok.....after much deliberation, and a few hours talking yesterday at FJA MODS, i have decided to forgo selling my d-180 for a 400. I have comissioned Jerry P to build me a One off custom rack mount pre amp. viced between a 400+ and a SVT. So i will need a good poweramp , something i never really dealt with. so what do i get? a Crown? QSC? wtf else is there out there? new and used? how much do they run new and used? reliability?(which should be good for a solid state power amp i assume). overkill or not, i wanna go with like 2000 watts:cool: . i dont ever want to "want" for headroom.

as far as the pre-amp, it will be two rack space, chicken head knobs, bass, mid, mid sweep, treble, still thinking about a 5 way mid selector(probably not with the sweep) 1 or 2 voice shift buttons. tuner out, foot switchable mute. XLR in and outs, NO FX loop (at my request) DI out.

QSC and Stewart can't be f**ked with.

• Members

Since it's a custom job, you're going to want an XLR out that is a preamp out at +20 dB. Most balanced outs are, at best +5 dB which doesn't really drive a power amp to its maximum potential.

A 400 watt power amp being driven with a +20 dB signal will be much louder than a 2000 watt amp driven with a DI.

As for the amp, I'd recommend the Crown XTI 2000. I've heard nothing but good things about them, it weighs 17 pounds and the built in DSP option is pretty sweet.

• Members

I suspect the new subset of Mackie, Tapco might make a nice amp at an affordable price.......

Mackie's quality has been suffering lately. Add that to a Chinese made product and you're looking for trouble.

If the dude has the scratch for a custom preamp, then he can afford a nice USA made power amp.

• Members

QSC RMX are great amps, PLX's are great too... Crown has some awesome offerings, it's really a matter of power, what are you looking for? remember that most amps are stereo, so you can actually have two power amps at your disposal (link the inputs and run both sides of the amp to different cabs...)

• Members

Since it's a custom job, you're going to want an XLR out that is a preamp out at +20 dB. Most balanced outs are, at best +5 dB which doesn't really drive a power amp to its maximum potential.

A 400 watt power amp being driven with a +20 dB signal will be much louder than a 2000 watt amp driven with a DI.

As for the amp, I'd recommend the
. I've heard nothing but good things about them, it weighs 17 pounds and the built in DSP option is pretty sweet.

my apologies....by D.I. ....what i meant was a direct out. incase micing my cab isnt possible. or if i am on a stage and unable to use my cab. i assume by 400 watt power amp you are talking a tube one?

as far as QSC goes or crown for that matter, should i go new....older? pretty much tanks either way? and i will be running @ 4 ohms through my svt 8x10. unless i end up with a boogie powerhouse cab i think they are different.

• Moderators

as far as QSC goes or crown for that matter, should i go new....older? pretty much tanks either way? and i will be running @ 4 ohms through my svt 8x10. unless i end up with a boogie powerhouse cab i think they are different.

New is you have the money and want the warranty. Older if you know it hasn't been abused. These are professional grade amps that you should not be afraid of buying used.

• Moderators

What do you dudes do with the filters? Shut off all sound under 30 hz?

Yo.

Yep. There is nothing down that low that I want to amplify, so it's nice not to waste power reproducing it and it is nice to not cloud the sonic spectrum with unneeded rumble.

• Members

ok i gotcha now. i am going to forward this thread to Jerry P so he can make sure to take all that into account.

as far as the amps, i have been sitting here doing alot of clicking.....

stewart world 2.1, 2100watts bridged @4 ohms $820

QSC PLX2 2502 , 2500watts bridged @4 ohms $900

Crown XTI 2000, 2000 watts Bridged @ 4 ohms $699

which ones and why??? and i am a bit in the dark as far as the crown's DSP ...... obviously the thought of getting a "crown" for $700 is nice

Archived