Help Me Find a POWER AMP

burnthiscorpse

• Members

Burdizzos knew that. What he is saying is that the standard direct out from a bass head is not configured to drive a power amp to full power. Accordingly, a 400 watt amp driven to full power (400 watts) will be louder than a 2000 watt amp driven to half power (200 watts).

Yep. If I was going to have a custom preamp built, it would have a DI with level control on the front, a line level unbalanced 1/4" out on the back and a balanced high gain balanced preamp out on the back to drive a power amp.

If you drive a 2000 watt power amp with a +20 dB preamp, you will have a hard time finding speaker cabs that can actually handle the power.

I did an experiment not too long ago where I used the same amp(a PV2600) and the same cab(an Avatar B212) with three different means of preamplification. First I used an MXR M-80 DI, then the DI off of my Peavey Pro Bass 500 and then the Left out of my mixer.

The MXR had the lowest output, the Peavey 500 was a little higher, but the output off of my mixer was more than the cab could handle. With the mixer, I was getting the full 550 watts, with the other preamps, I might have been getting 200.

You don't need a huge power amp if you drive it correctly.

• Members

so really, other than the $200 price difference, which one, the Crown XTI 2000 or the QSC PLX 2502? are the voicings different? reliability differences? obviously i respect all your opinions, and spending the extra $200 isnt a big issue, i'm just curious why i would need to? its is gonna be played alot and gigged alot and tour(hopefully soon)

Archived