I have a question for any PC gamers/wiz's on here.

baracuda2004

• Members

I am thinking about buying WoW, but I don't know if my PC can handle it..

here are my specs:

Windows Vista

Pentium 4 631 - 3GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache

512 MB DDR2

160GB HD

ATI RADEON Xpress 200 w/ available PCI slot (this is what I think would be the biggest problem)

I had "Fable Lost Chapters" and it would run it, but there was some serious lag issues with it from time to time it wasn't so bad that I couldn't absolutely play it but it was bad enough that I decided to go with the XBOX version about 2 weeks later. Anyone know if I could run it or what I could upgrade that would let me?

• Members

I *think* it would run. I'm not familiar with your graphics card, so I can't say for sure.

However, from the rest of the specs, it should run. You may not be able to run it at max everything graphics-wise, but it should at least be playable.

If I were you, I'd take the specs of your PC into Best Buy or something and ask someone in the games area if it would run the game well. They'll be able to tell you more specifically how well it will run on that system.

• Members

Yeah I read quite alot, but I run out of interesting things quickly as I usually read things in a day or two.

You run out of things to read?

Bull. I bet I can find plenty of interesting things you haven't read. :thu:

• Members

It will probably run. It may be playable. However, if you get "lag" from a game that is NOT online, that's probably because of your integrated video. You don't really have any lag as such, but the computer can't smoothly reproduce the video for the game. System memory may be an issue too, but probably mostly video. In an online game, you'll also have real lag - from your internet connection. Not to mention that the more players are around, the worse everything will get. It can be very hard to stay alive when your screen is so choppy you can't tell what's going on.

It will lead you down the dark and thorny path of PC upgrades just to get the game running better. A year and $3000 later you realize you've spent all that money and the game's no longer fun for you. Then you start looking at new games.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I'm typing this on a custom computer I bought to play Lord of the Rings Online on. My old comp was fine for WOW, but I needed to get away from the 12 year olds.

• Members

Have you tried reading a book instead? I hear they can be quite interesting.

What's wrong with playing a social online game? Yes, you CAN do both, read and do other things.

Do you have any other hobbies yourself? Why not read a book instead? Play in a band? Why not read a book instead? Post on HCBF? Why not reading a book instead?

I read on average about 3 or 4 books a week, yet still find time to play a videogame here and there. Just because YOU may find it a colossal waste of time, doesn't mean others don't.

• Members

here are my specs:

Windows Vista

512 MB DDR2

160GB HD

ATI RADEON Xpress 200 w/ available PCI slot (this is what I think would be the biggest problem)

I had "Fable Lost Chapters" and it would run it, but there was some serious lag issues with it from time to time it wasn't so bad that I couldn't absolutely play it but it was bad enough that I decided to go with the XBOX version about 2 weeks later. Anyone know if I could run it or what I could upgrade that would let me?

First thing I'd do is upgrade your videocard. Yours should run the game, and all you would have to do is turn down the video settings. But if you want the eye candy...such that it is...then upgrade to a mid-level card. An Nvidia 8600 or around there would work out good, but not sure if they make them in AGP anymore, everything is PCIe now-adays.

More RAM always helps too.

• Members

here are my specs:

Windows Vista

512 MB DDR2

160GB HD

QUOTE]

If you decide to upgrade the graphics be sure to get a card that is compatible with the motherboard. PCI? AGP? PCI Express?

Vista likes memory. I've heard 2 Gigs just to run it properly. I'm doing fine, but I have 4.

• Members

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I'm typing this on a custom computer I bought to play Lord of the Rings Online on. My old comp was fine for WOW, but I needed to get away from the 12 year olds.

What server?

That sucks that you bought a new computer to LoTRO since it is probably the most efficient game out right now. I run everything on super high with a Pent 4ghz with HT, 2 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 7600 GS 512 Meg video card, and I have zero problems with it.

• Members

I don't play WoW, but my eldest daughter does. In fact she hasn't showered, eaten or seen the sun in the past 2 1/2 years.

Your vid card is pretty weak for that game. It'll work OK in some spots, but when there are heavy battles going on with lots of players and lots of spells being cast your frame rate is going to hit the dirt. I'd also recommend at least 1 gig of RAM. Otherwise your machine is going to be constantly running to the hard drive for more info. Before I ugraded the daughter's computer she was running the game on 512mb and the HD light was flickering almost constantly.

• Members

I'd get more RAM just to run Vista, much less game on it. And you'll probably want an upgraded video card.

That said, I don't play WoW. I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a video game. :) I'd rather play something like Neverwinter Nights, where I can set up my own home server if I want to host a game for friends, or Warcraft III or Diablo where the online play is free.

• Members

Put XP back on your computer. That's what I did. I've got a harddrive dedicated to when I want to use XP, and one for Vista. My games run better with XP. I've got an Nvidia GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB RAM, 256-bit, and let's just say Nvidia messed up a bit when they made the Vista drivers. I just said the hell with Vista, I'm probably never going to make the full transition from XP to Vista, unless they do something about the driver incompatability. I just hope everyone else's experience doesn't suck as bad as mine did with Vista, but I know I'm not alone at any rate.

• Members

Put XP back on your computer. That's what I did. I've got a harddrive dedicated to when I want to use XP, and one for Vista. My games run better with XP. I've got an Nvidia GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB RAM, 256-bit, and let's just say Nvidia messed up a bit when they made the Vista drivers. I just said the hell with Vista, I'm probably never going to make the full transition from XP to Vista, unless they do something about the driver incompatability. I just hope everyone else's experience doesn't suck as bad as mine did with Vista, but I know I'm not alone at any rate.

can't put it BACK on as this PC came with Vista..and as I haven't had 1 single problem with my PC since i've had this new one.. i'm not touching any OS setting or anything of the such

• Members

What server?

That sucks that you bought a new computer to LoTRO since it is probably the most efficient game out right now. I run everything on super high with a Pent 4ghz with HT, 2 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 7600 GS 512 Meg video card, and I have zero problems with it.

Landroval. Though I don't really roleplay much I went there when I saw it was voted "unofficial RP server" because in general RP'ers bother me less and have less stupid names. In WOW I've been guilty of stupid names myself, but as a lifelong Tolkein nut it bugs me in LOTRO. Been playing since Beta, still fun. I'm a casual player, it suits me much better than WOW did. I haven't once been told that I NEED to get exactly this gear and spec my character in exactly this way then do these 40 man raids that take months just to be cool enough to group with somebody. WOW's a good game, but it feels like you're expected to give up your life to it and I'm not really willing to do that.

My old PC ran WOW perfectly and LOTRO pretty decently, but I wanted to be able to play in the highest detail levels smoothly. The old comp was developing some quirks besides so I took the plunge. Vista 64 bit hasn't given me any problems at all. I've gotten it set up to look like Win 95 so the only annoying thing is the "did you really just try to run this program?" prompt.

• Members

It would run.

My girlfriend plays it on her computer which has integrated graphics and only 500 megs of RAM (Some odd number, like 504 or whatever)... It doesn't run the best, but it will run.

504 would be 512 with 8MB shared. 8MB of video ram isn't enough to run the game though. Weird.

• Members

Since we're on the subject of video cards... My current el-cheapo card only supports DVI-out to 1280x1024, and my current TFT screen runs at 1680x1050
:freak:

Is my video card too old or is this resolution too freaky?

Not a freaky resolution. Usually what a wide-screen 20-21 inch LCD is at.

It's probably the video card, if it's an older el-cheapo it may not support it, but it may just need to have it's drivers updated to support different resolutions.

Archived