Bass Standards

Uncle Buck

• Members

I play a lot of riffs and try to make up my own bass lines but what if I wanted to audition? What are some bass standards that I should know?

you mean "standards" as in standard songs, maybe with classic bass lines, that most bass players should know?

Other than Money and Higher Ground? :rolleyes:

• Members

That really depends on the type of band you're auditioning for. For jazz 'standards', buy a Real Book ( BassNutz had a PDF one online).......if you are looking for the standard "same ol-same ol" bar-band rock audition list than these are pretty much most of the staples:

Margaritaville

Mustang Sally

Give Me 3 Steps

Wonderful Tonight

Suzy Q

Green River

Pride and Joy

Stormy Monday

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Takin Care of Business

Old Time Rock N Roll

Play That Funky Music

Brick House

Kryptonite

Brown Eyed Girl

Cocaine

All Right Now

Knockin On Heavens Door

Honky Tonk Woman

..just to name a (*yawn*) few..........

Funk 'Standards" and Country "Standards" are also two seperate lists................

• Members

Margaritaville

Mustang Sally

Give Me 3 Steps

Wonderful Tonight

Suzy Q

Green River

Pride and Joy

Stormy Monday

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Takin Care of Business

Old Time Rock N Roll

Play That Funky Music

Brick House

Kryptonite

Brown Eyed Girl

Cocaine

All Right Now

Knockin On Heavens Door

Honky Tonk Woman

..just to name a (*yawn*) few..........

Funk 'Standards" and Country "Standards" are also two seperate lists................

This is what I had in mind thanks.

• Members

Is that piece of {censored} song possibly a standard?

It is in my area of Florida and, yes, I hate it too....also one of the advantages of now being the keyboard player in my main money band and covering synth-pop: we dont play that or any of those songs (unless requested with a $20+ bill attached)

I still play most of those(and more) at any given time as a pick-up or sub bassist or keyboard player.....................

• Members

I auditioned for a cover band and one of the 8 songs I had to learn for my audition was kryptonite.

They had picked out what they considered their hardest songs on bass for the audition, and somehow that one slipped in.

:confused:

I don't mind playing intensely easy music really, gives me a chance to run around more while playing I guess.

• Members
Is that piece of {censored} song possibly a standard?

ughhhh.

I know the arguments of playing covers and what not but i know for a fact i could not stand on a stage and allow myself to play that tune...

It's easier when the hot 24 year old chick in the Guess jeans and halter top tells you it's her favorite song, and promises she and her girlfriends will all danca and flash if you play it.

• Members

Go buy yourself a copy of the Bass Tab White Pages. It is about 95+% accurate. Start with a couple of the simple songs, and listen to the notes, and get your timing down. Keep practicing until you "hear notes from other songs" in the songs your are playing. This will help develop your ear trainning. Go on to the harder songs. After a while, you can play "Miss You" and "Smooth" pretty much note for note. After that, finding a band will be no problem, if that is your goal. This is easier said than done, but it is entirely possible.

• Members

Go buy yourself a copy of the Bass Tab White Pages. It is about 95+% accurate. Start with a couple of the simple songs, and listen to the notes, and get your timing down. Keep practicing until you "hear notes from other songs" in the songs your are playing. This will help develop your ear trainning. Go on to the harder songs. After a while, you can play "Miss You" and "Smooth" pretty much note for note. After that, finding a band will be no problem, if that is your goal. This is easier said than done, but it is entirely possible.

I just got the Bass Tab White Pages a month or two ago and started working on this... +1

• Members

I have the bass tab white pages. Very good book, lotsa of good songs from different bands. All fun to play also.

Archived