I need some help with a car that won't start

Kindness

• Moderators

When I turn the ignition it makes a rapid fire clicking noise. I get power in the car (weak) so it didn't seem like a battery problem (nor does it sound like one), but I tried jumping it anyway. No change. The last time I operated the car (two or three weeks ago) it started slowly, but if I took my foot off the gas, it died.

It is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 40,000 miles. I have not driven the car in more than a year because my wife (mentally ill and separated from me) had it. She gave it back to me a few weeks ago because she had broken it in some fashion. Now I need to get it going so I can go sell it. Worst case scenario is I have to tow it to CarMax to sell it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me getting it going so I can drive it off and sell it? Please?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like a case for a mechanic. It could be the starter, the starter solenoid, or even the starter power cable. In any case, it won't be that much to fix, this is a common symptom. The most expensive element will be the starter if that's the problem, and in alot of cases if the starter is bad, it either makes no noise, or goes ZZZZIIIINGGG!!!!:D

C7

• Members

It could be a starter , but I would put a multi meter on the battery , also need to do a alternator check to make sure the battery is getting charged , if it has dim lights or won't run especially when you have lights , interior , radio etc. on then pretty sure alt. is gone and battery is not being charged then the battery would be low so check it with a multi meter , it also could go down from just not being able to start it and sucking the battery down . I think there is a starter solenoid as well could be this . Yup check it all . if you do get it running check the battery with the meter while it runs , see what it reads . Also check the battery fluid level , or distilled water level , if low it may not start . Starter maybe...

• Members

Yeah, ifyou know your way around a car you might be able to get to the problem, starters are usually near the bottom, (I could be wrong, as most of my vehicles have been older ones) ... Could just be hat the starter needs to be whacked, or an electrical connection needs to be made (I've done it with a screwdriver and some good gloves...)(trust me, it works) if the car only has 40,000 miles on it, I doubt the things shot already (unless your wife liked to hold the key in the 'start' position for longer than she needed to.......)

• Members

How long did you jump it off for? If the lights are dim I'd still go with the battery, especially since it has not been driven in a while. The rapid fire clicking noise is likely the starter solenoid repeatedly trying to engage. I'd take the battery to a parts store and have it tested first.

Sometimes no matter how long you jump it, the battery won't hold a charge.

The dying when you take your foot off of the gas could be related, or not.

• Members

Ok, here's the BEST way to get it all tested while you're AT an autoparts store.

Take out the battery, put it in the other car (you do have one, right? I think you do...) so they can test it.

Take out the alternator. You may have to get a Haynes guide or look online to find it if you're not excessively mechanically inclined, but they're typically a 3 bolt application near the top of the motor. They can also test this to see if it works or not while you're at the autoparts store.

Check spark plugs/wires. Could be a misfire or non-fire from those.

Timing belt may be off enough that it's not firing the motor either.

Distributor

Starter

Loose battery CONNECTION even...

that's all I can think of right off hand...but if you are going to the store to get stuff checked, take in those 2 things like I said...really easy dismount/remount typically and worth having checked for free...the other stuff...well...you'll have to get someone that knows what they're doingish to work on it and see. How soon do you need this vehicle up and running? If it can wait a couple weeks...there IS that GTG on Sunday...and if I come up Saturday (permitting) I might be able to have a look-see...

• Moderators

I appreciate all of the help guys. If I could get it to a mechanic or a auto parts store, I could get it to CarMax. I just need to sell the car, not because of this problem, but because I now have more cars than I need and this is the one that has to go. I don't need to get it up and running any time soon, but it is worth some money and that money does me better sitting in an investment than sitting on the street in a dead car.

I'd like to do as little as possible myself to the car. I'd much rather spend my time getting Tbroom's amp up and running, BroM's bass all prettied up, etc.

It is currently sitting just a couple of blocks away from a mechanic. I'm beginning to think it might be best to push it there and then get it in condition to drive to CarMax. :confused:

• Members

It is currently sitting just a couple of blocks away from a mechanic. I'm beginning to think it might be best to push it there and then get it in condition to drive to CarMax.
:confused:

If that's it, don't worry about the alternator. Just get the cheapest battery you can and drop it in there. Let CarMax sort out the real problems.;)

• Members

Still sounds to me like the battery and/or alternator. If it's completely shot, even if started by a jump, it won't have enough juice to keep running. Broken starter generally will make no noise at all, or sometimes a single thump, in which case try hitting the starter a few times with a hammer as already mentioned.

• Members

Usually if there is clicking there is battery power, maybe not enough (check water and jump it) if there is no clicking the battery is dead. that's just a start, but if you've got clicking then you've probably got battery. Here's the kicker, any water will work in the battery.... deionized water (distilled) is recommended, but water works fine, put some tap water into my battery in the middle of the summer when I was having starting problems, haven;t had any issues with it yet.....

• Moderators

I understand that you just wanna get it gone, but dude, spend the money on the repair and sell it private party, you'll get more money out of it. Unless she completely trashed the interior, then just dump it off on CarMax.
:D
C7

I think I might. Especially if I can get it started and moving without much cost.

• Members

from the cylinder outwards...you need

compression

correct gas air mixture

good spark which works in a compressed environment

clean distribution mechanism including the spark breaker..points..and distributor arm

exact timing

good induction coil

clean and constant 12v supply

good starter motor characteristics for quick spin

clean soleniod cut in

clean ignition switching via the key

• Members

The clicking is because the starter is acting like a buzzer. There's enough battery capacity to throw the drive out but as soon as current is applied to the starter motor the voltage collapses and the drive pulls in. Repeat until done. If the car has been sitting for many months with a dead battery (especially over the winter; if a battery freezes it's a goner), it's probably sulfated in at least one cell. Throw a new battery in and it'll be fine.

Archived