Only bass players can hear basslines..

• Members

an eternal annoyance...

was watching Gabriels 'Growing Up' concert earlier tonight, and raving at Levin's work on 'Secret World'...my wife was like, what are you talking about?

sometimes it seems like the only people who hear the bass are the players....

and a somewhat related gripe...concert footage never, ever, focuses on the bassist..do i need to see david rhodes stumming barre chords? no! do i need to see t.lev working the crazy upright fretless 5er? yes!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keyboard players are pretty good at hearing basslines....

The truth is, there is a bunch of things we bass players are the target for..

If a guitar player has a good amount of bottom in his sound (blues guitar players are usually always guilty of this), sometimes that can not only clash with my bass, but it can also cause me to get blamed for "too much bass"...Also, a kick drum miced improperly can also cause me to get blamed... Somebody will run up to the stage saying "Too much bass!" where I know that they are referring to the entire bottom end as a whole ----- and I know damn well its that 250hz ring in the kick drum mic! ----- yet the band will inadvertantly turn to me and say, "Hey, youre too loud...."

• Moderators

Keyboard players are pretty good at hearing basslines....

The truth is, there is a bunch of things we bass players are the target for..

If a guitar player has an amount of bottom in his sound, sometimes that can not only clash with my bass, but it can also cause me to get blamed for "too much bass"...Also, a kick drum miced improperly can also cause me to get blamed... Somebody will run up to the stage saying "Too much bass!" - and I know damn well its that 250hz ring in the kick drum mic - where they are referring to the entire bottom end as a whole, yet the band will inadvertantly turn to me and say, "Hey, youre too loud...."

Anytime I can hear you play, you're too loud! ;)

• Members

I think it's more that bass players care about bass tone . I think few other people do , there's the player and engineer . That might be it . Everyone needs to feel it though that little something special in the gut , and the ass . Music is not complete unless it has the low end covered .

• Members

Sometimes I think that's almost a good thing, the bass is there doing it's job letting everyone and everything do it's magic.

I sure as hell wouldn't play like that, I dig playing obnoxious bass lines that irritate the guitarist because I won't land on the root. :D

I don't get many gigs doing things like that though...

• Members

my wife has been listening to the bass for years since being with me...in fact as a whole she listens much more critically and intentionally than she did before we got together. Its pretty cool really, she points out certain bass parts in songs she likes, and I often say "did you hear that sick bass note there" and she usually says "yes"! It definately takes training to have a keen ear, and my wife's has improved over the ears!

I'm actually more annoyed that so many players have such {censored}ty ears, certain instruments seem more prone than others, of course to not listening...

• Members

yup. i really get tired of hearing people say "its only the bass. noone listens to the bass".

funny part is I've had people say that all the time to me too....but as soon as the bass disappears, all of a sudden they go "oh...wtf, what happened, now it sounds crap"

and I smile :D

Archived