Holy crap, what if Terry Reid had joined Led Zeppelin? (video content)

bikehorn

• Members

my time away from playing music has given me lots of time to get deeper into music that I really like by collecting it and whatnot...especially late 60's/early 70's blues rock. So when I read somewhere that Terry Reid was to be the original singer for Zep, I got interested and found out a bit more. Turns out Page wanted him to sing for the band, but he was already signed to a recording contract with the evil Mickey Most, so he couldn't, but he recommended a guy he knew who was in a band he was often billed with...his name was Robert Plant, and the band also had a drummer named...John Bonham.

It got me thinking, if he had joined the band, there would be no Plant, and no Bonham(Page originally wanted Keith Moon i think), and Led Zeppelin would have been a two-guitar band(Reid was a pretty good guitarist too). Man, that would have been so different. The same recording contract kept him from joining Deep Purple too.

check this video out, it is 100% maximally awesome. It's him performing at the second Glastonbury festival in 1971. His band at the time was amazing, with Alan White(later in Yes) on drums, David Lindley(Kaleidoscope) on lap steel and Lee Miles(Ike & Tina Turner) on bass. I wish there was a high quality audio recording of this performance. The same song, "Dean", appears on the next album he released(River, 1973) but is a lot more toned down by comparison.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0NSY2tfjmgs

Note all the people tripping out on acid.

• Members

Anybody go to Bonarroo and see JPJ jam with ?uestlove on drums, ripping out a ton of Zep covers? I must see the video of that! :thu:

IMO, JPJ post-Zep releases have far outshined any crap by Page and/or Plant. His collaborations with Diamanda Galas would make Plant shake in his boots. Plus Plant's voice is freakin G-O-N-E!

• Members

Anybody go to Bonarroo and see JPJ jam with ?uestlove on drums, ripping out a ton of Zep covers? I must see the video of that!
:thu:

IMO, JPJ post-Zep releases have far outshined any crap by Page and/or Plant. His collaborations with Diamanda Galas would make Plant shake in his boots. Plus Plant's voice is freakin G-O-N-E!

Zooma = yes

• Members

IMO, JPJ post-Zep releases have far outshined any crap by Page and/or Plant.

I don't know... I really dig Robbie Blunt's playing on Plant's first 3 solo discs! I actually listen to the first 2 fairly often (was earlier today as a matter of fact!).

Archived