tell me about the G&L L-2000 and L-2500

barneyc4

• Members

I saw one of these at a store, but didn't really try one.

1. How is the neck?

2. How do the pickups sound?

3. How is the finish?

4. Overall opinion?

its a sexy beast of a bass:love:

i have the korean made tribute so the neck is kinda like a p-bass neck. if you get the USA made l2k or l2500 you get options for the neck. the pickups and preamp make this thing a complete chameleon it can sound like a jazz a p a stingray and just about anything else you can think of in between. the fit and finish are amazing for the price.

overall im hooked on G&L:thu:

• Members

Mine is MIA.

The neck is really smooth and fast.

The Pups / electronics will do a lot of different tones.

I always run Active with Bass boost, Pups in series.

Tone control to suit the song.

Fantastic bass!:thu::thu::thu:

My son absolutely loves it.

Still, I prefer my Reverends.:freak:

Of course, if I get my hands on a Drozd, Sadowsky, Godlyke, Quake, or even a Bongo... :idea:

• Members

geeze very diverse views
:p
I was curious about one too but haven't had much luck finding one to play on...
:snax:

It rules the roost at the Lug Hacienda and the Lug Hacienda has a lot of basses. As noted above, you can select 4 different neck sizes for the L2000.

• Members

The USA neck is bicut (cut in half lengthwise) and the put back together with the trussrod installed. the tribute is a single piece with a slot routed under the fretboard for the trussrod.

The bicut neck is supposed to be stronger and more resistant to bowing.

I've had no problem with the tribute so far and this year the humidity levels here have changed frequently.

The electronics and pups are the same tribute is made in Korea which is cheaper than made in USA.

• Members

The USA neck is bicut (cut in half lengthwise) and the put back together with the trussrod installed. the tribute is a single piece with a slot routed under the fretboard for the trussrod.

The bicut neck is supposed to be stronger and more resistant to bowing.

I've had no problem with the tribute so far and this year the humidity levels here have changed frequently.

The electronics and pups are the same tribute is made in Korea which is cheaper than made in USA.

so basically theres no real difference between the two other than the neck? And the use of a different body wood on the prestige ones? (tilia or whatever its called) :confused: since when were necks worth $2000?

• Members

I saw one of these at a store, but didn't really try one.

1. How is the neck?

2. How do the pickups sound?

3. How is the finish?

4. Overall opinion?

I'm currently trying to get my hands on a 2nd hand (left handed) L-2000. It plays very nicely, sounds excellent.

The neck - differenet to my Jazz, for sure, but if you can handle a P-Bass no worries

p/ups sound excellent. I took the time to make sure it wasn't just the store's nice new Eden making it sound good. Some have mentioned noise, but no cause for alarm ...I heard nothing worse than Fender J hum - in fact not as bad

the finish is good - it's a solid bass. Looks like it will be able to endure a bit of sweat. And I like the fretboard....my Jazz is Rosewood (nice but soft) but the G+L is not and appears to be much harder

Overall Opinion: 'I like' - so much so that 'I want'. The action is a little higher than my Jazz....that might be changed, and the only thing I miss is the scratchplate. Without one, the height of the G string for popping is just a tiny bit higher. I'm used to a smaller gap: the higher string risks me pulling it too much ...but that's a playing technique thing, not a instrument fault (at all!).

And being left handed in a country where leftie basses are as rare as one legged tap dancers, I keep good basses close by

• Members

I agree with everything that Jonathan said...but disagree with Dan. The electronics on mine are supremely quiet, and the B is the tightest on a 34" that I've ever played.

It's my #1 for a reason.

It's not so much about the B string being taught..it's about it being muddy and I found it to have a volume drop as well. This was the reason I got rid of mine. It was a great bass but there are better 5 strings to be had for the same price. As far as 4 strings go, I think the L2K is the bass to beat though.

I think you got lucky with the electronics noise...there are a lot of people that have noise problems with them and if you look inside the cavity of one you will see why..it's like a cat exploded inside it.

Dan

• Members

so basically theres no real difference between the two other than the neck? And the use of a different body wood on the prestige ones? (tilia or whatever its called)
:confused:
since when were necks worth $2000?

since an American made it:freak:

:D

it seems to be the same for everything

made in USA = 200% markup:freak:

• Members

since an American made it:freak:

:D

it seems to be the same for everything

made in USA = 200% markup:freak:

you should live Down Under ....we pay fortunes - absolute fortunes - for 'made in USA'. Nowadays brands like Gibson and Randall are made in China....less $ - we are assured about quality control, but.....:rolleyes:

I thought that Fender had yet to go China, but today I saw an Acoustic Fender - the price was so good I instantly looked - an found - the 'made in China'.

Mind you, Fenders made in Japan are excellent! Go figure.

• Members

The only reason I can think of to not buy a tribute is the neck. I play skinny necks, so I ended up selling my Tribute L2000 because the neck was too chunky and P bass-like. If you don't need a skinny neck, save money and get a tribute. They are awesome basses with so many usable tones. :thu:

• Members

The only reason I can think of to not buy a tribute is the neck. I play skinny necks, so I ended up selling my Tribute L2000 because the neck was too chunky and P bass-like. If you don't need a skinny neck, save money and get a tribute. They are awesome basses with so many usable tones.
:thu:

Well I play my Washburn now, and I feel more comfortable on a Warwick than on a Fender...so I guess thats a yes ;)

• Members

It's not so much about the B string being taught..it's about it being muddy and I found it to have a volume drop as well.

Sounds like the bass needed a setup.

I've got the Tribute L-2500 (and a MIA L-2000) and I don't find the B muddy at all. I'm gigging with it later today along with the Duct Tape Bass.

• Members

Sounds like the bass needed a setup.

I've got the Tribute L-2500 (and a MIA L-2000) and I don't find the B muddy at all. I'm gigging with it later today along with the Duct Tape Bass.

The bass was setup properly as are all my basses. The B string is lacking as far as I'm concerned. I found it to be taught enough however there was a noticeable volume drop and it was not as clear as I wanted it to be. I've played a lot of 5 strings with varying B strings and the L2500 was a mid point as far as their B string was concerned. You may not notice it, but I did definitely. This was one of the reasons I got rid of it, along with the noisy electronics. It works for you and that's fine, but for me there are definitely better 5'ers out there with better B strings; Lakland and Warwick immediately come to mind.

Keep in mind I started off playing 5 strings and have become very anal about B strings...I'm sure not everyone would see a problem with the B.

Dan

Archived