Why use an effects loop?

D Aussie

• Members

Plus, I would think it necessary if (say, for a huge stage show) you had a sound guy managing the effects.

Question though... where would you want to insert a compressor? pre or post preamp?

Why would it be necessary for someone else to change you effects? What if you were using a wah, and it needs to be synced with exactly when you are hitting the strings? Kinda hard for someone else to do that. How hard is it to change effects by yourself. I don't have a problem at all...

Question 2 depends on the compressor. If it's a pedal (instrument level signal) it should go in front. If it's a rack (line level signal) it should go in the loop...since that is what most loops are designed to handle. Of course this is all subjective, and you might find your preferences to be different than mine.

• Members

Well certainly effects such as a wah wouldn't be controlled by a sound guy. I'm thinking more of effects such as delay, chorus, etc..

For example, what do you do if you need a certain amount of delay in one part of the song and a different level in another.

Reason I mentioned it is because the bigger acts have that level of detail in scoring their music. Haven't you seen big production stage shows where you hear effects come into play without any obvious action on the part of the player doing anything themselves (esp singers)? I presumed it was the sound guy(s) scoring those effects. Watch a DVD of say, Sade and you'll see what I mean. You don't see any of them stompin on pedals.

Must be nice I guess... Me? Like you, I'm still tuning my own bass, fiddling with my own knobs.

• Members

Well certainly effects such as a wah wouldn't be controlled by a sound guy. I'm thinking more of effects such as delay, chorus, etc..

For example, what do you do if you need a certain amount of delay in one part of the song and a different level in another.

Reason I mentioned it is because the bigger acts have that level of detail in scoring their music. Haven't you seen big production stage shows where you hear effects come into play without any obvious action on the part of the player doing anything themselves (esp singers)? I presumed it was the sound guy(s) scoring those effects. Watch a DVD of say, Sade and you'll see what I mean. You don't see any of them stompin on pedals.

Must be nice I guess... Me? Like you, I'm still tuning my own bass, fiddling with my own knobs.

I sure have. Most of them time it's their bass or guitar tech doing the effects...not the soundguy FOH. Dimebag used to have Grady Champion do all of his effects...minus the wah and whammy that is. I can see why, but I'd still prefer to do it myself.

If I ran into a situation where I needed two different settings...I would either change it myself or more than likely...I'd have a rack setup with midi switching. It will save all of your presets...so you simply make a patch and then assign a button on your controller to it. Press that one button and everything you need changes. Channels on your amp, effects, parameters & values of said effects...everything. If I was a die hard pedal guy (like I am) I would have multiple pedals in my rack with different settings for each. They would all be hooked into a switching system controlled by midi as well...

Yes...it's complicated...but it'll do what I want without any fuss!!!

• Members

I sure have. Most of them time it's their bass or guitar tech doing the effects...not the soundguy FOH. Dimebag used to have Grady Champion do all of his effects...minus the wah and whammy that is. I can see why, but I'd still prefer to do it myself.

If I ran into a situation where I needed two different settings...I would either change it myself or more than likely...I'd have a rack setup with midi switching. It will save all of your presets...so you simply make a patch and then assign a button on your controller to it. Press that one button and everything you need changes. Channels on your amp, effects, parameters & values of said effects...everything. If I was a die hard pedal guy (like I am) I would have multiple pedals in my rack with different settings for each. They would all be hooked into a switching system controlled by midi as well...

Yes...it's complicated...but it'll do what I want without any fuss!!!

Yeah, I don't get it either. I see those back page Guitar World interviews with players set ups and I can't believe they don't switch their own effects. But I guess there is a trade off. I'd rather do it myself, too, but you might have a stage show more like Tool and less like Pantera. Who knows.

Yo.

Archived