gibson thunderbird

zesty brick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also doesn't sound much like a Spector, unless i'm missing something here? If you are buying new then as thumper said there are a few inherent glitches that you need to be sure about before laying down that much cash, so go try one out.

OT: I'm gettting a Spector 4 String Euro neck thru LX in cherry soon if the gods smile on me :)

• Members

Thunderbird: Limited tone range, sounds poor with pick, awkward reach makes it feel like neck is much longer. Good finger style tone but again limited tone. Passive bass. Note the limited tone range isnt so much a case of passive, but rather one of how the pups are voiced and the poor relative pup volume balance making variance pup blending combos via individual vol not nearly as good as most passive two pup basses with seperate volumes. Greatest Neck dive winner compared to most basses.

Spector: Much greater tone range, can sound great with pick or fingers. More comfortable reach and playability. Active bass. Balances well on strap.

Votes for the spector as easilly better choice.

Has owned both gibson thunderbird and spector 4 string with active eq.

• Members

T-birds are wonderful, but keep in mind you can get 85% of the sound at less than a quarter of the price with the Epiphone version. I just sold mine, but it was a really cool bass.

I've got mine coming here Tuesday. Supposedly the pickups are made for Epiphone by EMG (new Chinese ones). Price= $279.

Solution: get that and the Spector!:)

• Members

Thunderbird: Limited tone range, sounds poor with pick, awkward reach makes it feel like neck is much longer. Good finger style tone but again limited tone. Passive bass. Note the limited tone range isnt so much a case of passive, but rather one of how the pups are voiced and the poor relative pup volume balance making variance pup blending combos via individual vol not nearly as good as most passive two pup basses with seperate volumes. Greatest Neck dive winner compared to most basses.

Spector: Much greater tone range, can sound great with pick or fingers. More comfortable reach and playability. Active bass. Balances well on strap.

Votes for the spector as easilly better choice.

Has owned both gibson thunderbird and spector 4 string with active eq.

How does a Gibson Thunderbird sound poor with a pick? Most players I can think of who use/used a Thunderbird use picks: Nikki Sixx, Tom Hamilton, Shavo Odadjian, Cliff Williams, etc. Not only that, but the way it's setup I find is much easier to play using a pick- but maybe that's just me... :blah:

• Members

How does a Gibson Thunderbird sound poor with a pick? Most players I can think of who use/used a Thunderbird use picks: Nikki Sixx, Tom Hamilton, Shavo Odadjian, Cliff Williams, etc. Not only that, but the way it's setup I find is much easier to play using a pick- but maybe that's just me...
:blah:

Yeah, Shavo's tone is assy. :p

• Members

How does a Gibson Thunderbird sound poor with a pick? Most players I can think of who use/used a Thunderbird use picks: Nikki Sixx, Tom Hamilton, Shavo Odadjian, Cliff Williams, etc. Not only that, but the way it's setup I find is much easier to play using a pick- but maybe that's just me...
:blah:

I was going to say, your right on the button.

I think there is some severe bias against the T-Bird there by Dark, making it sound worthless and it really is not. The T-Bird has a signature tone which is very creamy, rich and full, you can't compare a full blown example to a Spector, they are extremely different beasts.

Getting the Spector and a 2nd hand Epi T-B would be your best option if I were you, I don't feel that a Gibson T-B is a good main bass unless it is exactly what you want.

• Members

I was going to say, your right on the button.

I think there is some severe bias against the T-Bird there by Dark, making it sound worthless and it really is not. The T-Bird has a signature tone which is very creamy, rich and full, you can't compare a full blown example to a Spector, they are extremely different beasts.

Getting the Spector and a 2nd hand Epi T-B would be your best option if I were you, I don't feel that a Gibson T-B is a good main bass unless it is exactly what you want.

But when it is what you want :love: I love FAT, creamy, full on tone and my T-bird using both PUs on gives me that in Spades. If I want more treble bite I back off the neck or solo the bridge and open the tone wide...if I want thump I do the opposite and accentuate the neck.

Is it as versatile as a 3 band pre-amp equipped, mid notch 5 switch active bass? No but the 3 or 4 tones it does it does very well...and its signature sound it does (imho) better than anything!

Only drawback I have is that in a dense urban setting like Seoul one needs to travel to gigs with a gig bag and can not be guaranteed a suitable stand unless one brings it. Both are drawback against the T-Bird. The non sound related aspects can be so-so but it is about pay-off for the sound for me.

I really like Epi t-birds at their price point but to me they don't come CLOSE to the Gibson sound. They are bolt on for one and different body and neck material. An Alder body with a maple bolt on neck just doesn't capture the neck-thru all mahogany sound...The Epis have a much quicker attack and thinner sound to my ears...

imho a Squire P or J comes closer to its fancy older brothers than an Epi bord does a Gibson...again that being said I think the Epi T-birds are great for $$ just a different animal than the real deal. The Goth was closer with a Maho body and TB Plus pickups...

• Members

The design makes it neck dive, god knows what you were playing because both Gibson and epi birds that i've played both had *allot* of neck dive... and pretty much everyone I know/have read about owning a copy or original has noted that flaw.

• Members

Yeah, it's not that bad but it can catch you out if your not used to it. You got a good pic of that Sixx bass?

Doubt you can get both for 1700 bucks dragon (depending on the spector model i guess), unless they are in bad condition.

Yea, here's a couple good pics (I put some active EMG's in it too so it sounds pretty killer actually!)

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00648crop.jpg

• Members

Seems one way to solve the neck dive is to put the little strap button thing on the heel of the neck. This works well on a Epi, given the bolt on neck. Might not fly with the Gibson.

That's the only mod I have planned for mine- that with my 4" sheeps wool-lined strap! (I wouldn't even call it a mod- a quick fix that must be done!)

I still think a new Epi T-Bird @$279 and the Spector are the way to go!:thu:

• Members

The design makes it neck dive, god knows what you were playing because both Gibson and epi birds that i've played both had *allot* of neck dive... and pretty much everyone I know/have read about owning a copy or original has noted that flaw.

As I said, I had a GIBSON THUNDERBIRD and it had no neck dive. I used a 2" leather strap and I could let go of the neck and it didn't move.

Archived