gibson thunderbird

zesty brick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
tried 3 in ottawa this weekend, tone sounded ok but a slow neck, i expected better for 1800 dollars

C'mon people- $1800 for a Gibson versus a bolt-on from Epi that gives you 95% of the tone for $279?:freak:

I've confirmed it- the Epi p/ups are EMGs made for Epi and this bass- probably the same for Gibson, too.

My Epi T-Bird in Sunburst natural comes tomorrow!:) I still can't believe I'm paying $279 with no S+H charges.

To complete my fall 2007 GAS, the new SX in Mint green 62 J bass came today. OMG! For $139, this is criminal. I love the chrome p/up covers.

Yes, yes- pics by Wednesday after the T-Bird comes in of both. Best $418 I ever spent!!:D:D

• Members

I know the T-bird gets pegged as rock bass, but I found with that big thick sound it was a pretty sweet dub/reggae tool as well.

As I may have mentioned, mine just got sold to finance some repairs and upgrades to my Precision. My only real beef with the T-bird is that in six years of trying I never could find a gig bag for it. I live in NYC, so hauling that case on the train was out of the question. It was always a problem.

+ 1 on the reggae tone

Went through the same deal with a gig bag (hardcase on Seoul subway = no no). Ended up with a Ritter T-bird bag (pretty good and great fit) and a Warwick Buzzard bag (killer bag a bit too big for the Bird but nice protection)

• Members
C'mon people- $1800 for a Gibson versus a bolt-on from Epi that gives you 95% of the tone for $279?
:freak:

I've confirmed it- the Epi p/ups are EMGs made for Epi and this bass- probably the same for Gibson, too.

My Epi T-Bird in Sunburst natural comes tomorrow!
:)
I still can't believe I'm paying $279 with no S+H charges.

To complete my fall 2007 GAS, the new SX in Mint green 62 J bass came today. OMG! For $139, this is criminal. I love the chrome p/up covers.

Yes, yes- pics by Wednesday after the T-Bird comes in of both. Best $418 I ever spent!!
:D
:D

I paid $1000 for my USA Gibby T-Bird

I paid $450 for my Made in Korea Epi T-Bird.

I liked the Epi alot...it was a good sounding, well made bass. But it did not sound like the Gibson...it just didn't. Bolt on, different body and neck materials different pickups.

I like those new Chinese T-Birds as well....but they don't sound like the Gibsons do..but quicker attack, punchier and thinner....

T-Birds like Rics have a unique sound that I have never heard from another bass....are either of them "worth" $1600? Likely not...but is a Fodera worth the $$ they charge? Is a Sadowsky?

I wanted a Gibby Bird, got a great deal in it N.O.S. wanted that tone and wasn't getting it from any other bass....me happy:thu:

f.w.i.w my SX '57P comes much closer to my Fender P bass than my Epi did to my Gibson....my Greco P matches any USA P I have played/owned (except a Lakland...but that is another story)

Archived