Genesis, and what's not to like? - Bloggish

thelurker

• Members

So this weekend I finally got to see Genesis. Music was superb, Phil was engaging, lightshow and sound were outstanding, but I left the show disappointed. The thing is, as an old Genesis fan, I was expecting to hear many more songs from the early/middle era of Genesis.

It started with the rumors that the group had been practicing with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, which would lead one to believe that they were working on songs from the time period when those players were in the band. Even though those two were not (eventually) on the tour, it gave hope to the idea that they would go on to play some of those songs, as they had already been worked on. This, of course, was in addition to Phil Collins' stating that he'd rather not go on a "greatest hits" tour.

Fast forward to Saturday, I go to the show with great expectations. They open with the Intro to "Behind the Lines", an older song that (even on "Three Sides Live") segued into "Duchess". I'm stoked, thinking "Great start!! Let's go!!". Except they stop just before it goes into the song. WTF? They instead go to "Turn it on Again". Okay, another good starter. They actually finish this one.

Then the clouds gather. It's off into the land of Genesis pop. "No Son of Mine", "Invisible Touch", "I Can't Dance", basically the "Greatest Hits" they said they weren't interested in playing. If it came after the album "Genesis", it was pretty much in. Only 6 songs from before that album, one from "Lamb", nothing from "Abacab". Only three songs from the Gabriel era.

As I said, it was a well executed show, marred by the choice of material. There's no way (despite more rumors) that I can see Gabriel joining this tour next year. Who wants to see HIM sing "I Can't Dance". Phooey.

• Members

I'd imagine that both he and Phil would logistically have to trade off on lead vocals.

Keep Collins chained to the drumkit, anyway. If he wants to sing, play drums at the same time:rolleyes:

At the same time, Peter has grown by leaps and bounds and I wonder if he'd be thrilled to sing "Supper's Ready"?

• Members

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Members

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Classic :D

Hackett-era Genesis is one of my favourite bands ever. I didn't bother going to see them this tour. Instead, I went to see these guys :thu:

• Members

I can understand Genesis wanting to perform mostly later material. After all, it's that stuff that helped them fill stadiums - and as a band (and it's NOT just the three of them, Dennis Chambers and the other sidemen are really part of the band at this point) they feel more connected to it.

And were I a Genesis fan I could see where I'd want the later stuff too! I'm a fan of Deep Purple, but I don't go see them anymore because they rely too heavily on the classic stuff from 1972 - I'd LOVE to see them perform mostly stuff from the Steve Morse era.

That said, for myself I'd rather hear earlier Genesis. The music was simply more interesting then.

• Members

Gotta admit tho- that bridge/interlude hauls ass!
:rawk:

Honestly, I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing a song LESS than that tune. Plus I was a very jaded teen-ager at the time and was livid that Genesis would continue on without Gabriel (despite the fact that he'd probably been out of the band for 5 years when I really got into them!) ;). There was a huge debate in our band over playing that song, and I think it was played twice. I probably haven't listened to it in close to 20 years.

• Members

What bass parts do you mean exactly? Mike already played bass AND guitar from the first few albums onward...

mike1.jpg

Yes, but if you listen to post Hackett stuff, for the most part all his creative juices go into his guitard lead parts and his bass lines seem much more like an afterthought. His early parts in things like The Knife, the Lamb, Hogweed, etc are some of my favs from that era. None of the later stuff is particularly memorable in my opinion (which is the same as saying it's a fact).

Archived