OT: Truck rant

RSBro

• Members

As much as I love my F150, I really want a friggin' SUV.

We were in Austin this weekend and had my stuff in the bed, and out of nowhere it just starts POURING. Couldn't even find an overpass to pull under as everyone was doing 25MPH on the highway.

Sucks. I guess I could just get a bed cover and all, but a decent hard top one w/ matching paint is in the ~$1k range, and I could sell my truck and a bass or two and get a nice SUV, so not sure if it'd be worth it. Oh well. :)

• Members

Had an SUV and I'm loving my truck. Ok, it's not really a truck, it's a Honda Ridgeline, but still. I have the factory tonneau cover, which is pretty close to being water proof and the back seat area is pretty big, between the two I'm pretty well covered.

• Moderators
As much as I love my F150, I really want a friggin' SUV.

We were in Austin this weekend and had my stuff in the bed, and out of nowhere it just starts POURING. Couldn't even find an overpass to pull under as everyone was doing 25MPH on the highway.

Sucks. I guess I could just get a bed cover and all, but a decent hard top one w/ matching paint is in the ~$1k range, and I could sell my truck and a bass or two and get a nice SUV, so not sure if it'd be worth it. Oh well.
:)

I did that years ago. Within a week I need to haul some things that wouldn't fit. Next, because I bought a really fancy one, I was accused of being in a profession that I wasn't in. It went bye-bye really quick. I like the hard cover. It's a PITA though if I have something tall to load in.

• Members

I did that years ago. Within a week I need to haul some things that wouldn't fit. Next, because I bought a really fancy one, I was accused of being in a profession that I wasn't in. It went bye-bye really quick. I like the hard cover. It's a PITA though if I have something tall to load in.

That's the deal too- the hardshell fiberglass ones usually have to bolt-on to the frame or the body somewhere, making it a HUGE hassle to take off/on when you need to move more than bass gear.

• Moderators
That's the deal too- the hardshell fiberglass ones usually have to bolt-on to the frame or the body somewhere, making it a HUGE hassle to take off/on when you need to move more than bass gear.

My A.R.E. is only 4, but it is a 2 person job. Wouldn't you know it, when you need to take it off there's no one around to help with that.:D

• Members

My A.R.E. is only 4, but it is a 2 person job. Wouldn't you know it, when you need to take it off there's no one around to help with that.
:D

Kinda like with PA equipment... ;)

Man, I'm finding some great deals on Expeditions too. Plus I still can get a great price on my truck in the used market. Just may have to start looking into this...

• Moderators
Kinda like with PA equipment...
;)

Man, I'm finding some great deals on Expeditions too. Plus I still can get a great price on my truck in the used market. Just may have to start looking into this...

My PA Equipment fits underneath. I take 2 subs, 2 tops, 3 monitors, my bass gear, mic/speaker cables, mic/speaker stands and it all fits. Before I bought the subs, I just measured the height I had to work with. A Yorkville LS700p fits just fine as do my 2 Peavey TLS115 subs.

• CMS Author

I guess I could just get a bed cover and all, but a decent hard top one w/ matching paint is in the ~$1k range, and I could sell my truck and a bass or two and get a nice SUV, so not sure if it'd be worth it. Oh well.
:)

So, basically, you could sell a bass or two, and get that decent hard top cover with matching paint.

And Expedition can't hold nearly as much as the F-150. Trust me on this, I've got the Super Crew, and even its short bed holds a bunch more than my former drummers Expedition. Some stuff the Expedition won't hold is my 2x18 JBL PA subs...yeah, I can get ONE in, but try getting the pair in and having room for the rest of the PA and my bass cab, and my two PA 12U racks, and several large trunks of gear and.... All that stuf and more go into the F-150. And that's just the bed. I fold the rear seats and have room for all the sensitive stuff....mixer, amp head, basses, mics, etc etc etc...

• Members

we dont wanna hear it from you when gas prices spike again.

As far as that's concerned, if the gas prices to hike, the F150 is way more valuable than an Expedition. During the last jump, the Expedition was a buyers market commodity.

Shoot, get one of these:

f150xl.gif

• Members

we dont wanna hear it from you when gas prices spike again.

As far as that's concerned, if the gas prices to hike, the F150 is way more valuable than an Expedition. During the last jump, the Expedition was a buyers market commodity.

Shoot, get one of these:

f150xl.gif

Very good point. My van costs $80+ to fill up.

Thank god I don't need to drive it much.

But when you need seating for 12 and/or huge towing capacity, it's nice to have around.

• Members

Those roll-up ones are the best idea I've seen so far w/ minimal "tinkering" when you have to roll in/out.

Craig- that's interesting. I guess I've never really been "inside" so to speak to really measure how much you could fit in the back. I just assumed it'd be more than my truck, but now that I'm thinking about it you're probably right. Plus, my 04 and current F150's have a really deep bed, which means you can usually stack a good bit of stuff.

I think I'll go back to the roll-out/in idea and revisit that. Anyone know some dependable aftermarket companies who do this?

• Members

Those roll-up ones are the best idea I've seen so far w/ minimal "tinkering" when you have to roll in/out.

Craig- that's interesting. I guess I've never really been "inside" so to speak to really measure how much you could fit in the back. I just assumed it'd be more than my truck, but now that I'm thinking about it you're probably right. Plus, my 04 and current F150's have a really deep bed, which means you can usually stack a good bit of stuff.

I think I'll go back to the roll-out/in idea and revisit that. Anyone know some dependable aftermarket companies who do this?

My father in law has one by TruXedo that works great. Easy to roll up, easy to deploy and water tight. Also has a cam locking system so that if you can lock your tailgate, the top will be locked down too. Someone could still cut the fabric of the topper, but it's better than nothing.

If I was getting a tonneau that would be the one. Fortunately, my Avalanche has a OEM rigid topper.

• Members

That's a tad much for just my cab, rack, flight case for pedalboard, and 2 basses!
;)

My country band has a 20' trailer and we pack it to within an inch of being full.

Well, if you had a trailer, you guys would have a little bit more wiggle room.

I hope you guys are making huge bank if you are unloading and loading a 20' trailer for every show.

• Members

Here's my solution:

trailerje9.jpg

At least it doesn't say "BAND EQUIPMENT INSIDE, PLEASE STEAL ME!"

I'm thinking about painting "Bob's Septic Service" on the side of a trailer if I get one for the band. Fewer people want to steal {censored}ty plumbing equipment.

Archived