peaveys 8x10 bass cab,the fridge wannabe? any good?

lumpy555

• Members

i called it the wannabe just fer fun,as i mean no harm to the peavey gear-whores! anyhoo a small ma-pa store has a leftover peavey 8x10 bass cab,like 699.00 out da door and ,well jeesh! it looks awesome but i couldnt crank it SO,anyone use this cab lets hear the good,bad,and da ugly. and performance wise,does it compare to ampegs fridge? thanks lumpy... p.s. i evan read a little about BASSONS 4x10 sealed back bass cabs,i guess it compares to their 8x10 only in a smaller package!! wtf! lump...

• Members

Peavey > Ampeg. Unless you wear fishnet stocking on your arms, and eyeliner. And glitter in your hair.

C7

ehem....

you forgot the all important girl's pants.

you post should have read

"Peavey > Ampeg. Unless you wear fishnet stocking on your arms,eyeliner and girl's pants. And glitter in your hair."

the pink and/or white studded belt is optional. :)

:freak:

• Members

well,whats the verdict?? peavey 8x10 OR ampegs 8x10? just go on a coparison here,eyeliner,fishnet on arms,pants,that dont mean crap to me.i just want to see if the peavey is,say a better match for me as im lookin at cabs. i was going with the gb neo 2x12,i still mite BUT i am keeping my gb 2x15 cab, soooo im interested in a 8x10 cab,but still holding on to my original rig GB-600 into my GB LIVE SERIES 2X15!! too corney or what???? peace! lumpy!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Everything marketed by Peavey is, pound for pound, stronger than steel.

I was not paid to make this statement.

I rumbled with one of Peavey's cabs once. Two broken fingers and four busted ribs. The cab was excellent, though. Hadn't even broken a sweat.

Really, though, cost to quality, I'd pick Peavey any day of the week. Ampeg stuff colors the sound too much for my tastes, anyhow.

• Members

You can't break a Peavey. You can try, but you will lose. Plain and simple. Does it sound better/worse than the Ampeg? Well thats up to your own ears. It will sound different, it just depends on the sound you are looking for.

In the end, though, I'm pretty sure I could leave my Peavey 4x10 on a well travelled train track and it would still work the same 6 weeks later :thu:

• Members

You can't break a Peavey. You can try, but you will lose. Plain and simple. Does it sound better/worse than the Ampeg? Well thats up to your own ears. It will sound different, it just depends on the sound you are looking for.

In the end, though, I'm pretty sure I could leave my Peavey 4x10 on a well travelled train track and it would still work the same 6 weeks later
:thu:

That's how it is. My Max112 combo has been to the Gates of Hell and back, and it provided adequate seating for two the whole trip.

Peavey and Hartke(with paper cones, of course. :p) setups seem to be my best bets(other than the Randall head and Carvin cab I have right here) for accurately replicating my sound. I don't use amplification for color. I use it for... volume. Hahaha.

The rep at the shop I've recently started using was saying so many good things about this ampeg combo, the warmth, the woosh, the fatness, but he never did say anything about getting me out of that setup. I did it, yeah, but it was a push. Ampeg stuff seems to be very color-oriented. I'm sure that if I took five jazz basses that have their own unique tones and quirks to that shop, that I'd get the same sound over and over again from that ampeg combo. I played a passive 'ray clone and my Samick through it(All neck bucker, active bass boost, tapewounds), and other than a little zip from the rounds, the response and such were very much the same.

Maybe I'm just sucky?

• Members

Although I do hear differences when I play through gear other than my own, the one thing that I always notices is that, unless there is a very extreme EQ being applied, I have my own sound, no matter what I am playing. My technique creates a sound and that sound is me. So when I am trying out gear, my biggest concern is simply "Is this how I want my sound presented?"

• Members

Those Peavey 4x10 TX cabs are no joke. I bought a pair to quickly replace some stolen SWR gear that I could not afford immediately. They sounded great - I never bothered to get new SWR stuff, and by that time the brand was swirling the bowl in terms of quality anyway.

Later on, I borrowed a Peavey 8x10 now and then, and was equally impressed. At the end of the day, I don't hear a signature "Peavey" tone out of their stuff, which is just the way I want it.

• Members

I hava a Peavey 410TVX. It is ripped to hell and the grill is all dented but I gig quite a lot with it. Sounds just as good as the day I had it.

I have a/b'd it next to an Ampeg SVT410-HLF.

I have to say that the Peavey was far and away the better cab. It was clearer, warmer, rounder sounding. I was surprised how good the Peavey actually sounds. I have played through more expensive rigs, Ashdown ABMs and Ampegs, Hartke etc and when I plug in my Peavey, it feels like I'm home. Does that make sense? I couldn't imagine what the 810 cab would be like. I think my 97lb 410 is more than enough but I'd love to get another.

Saying that, I have played outdoor festivals, small bars, big clubs with 1000+ seating and have never needed anything more than what my 410 gives me.

I'd love to try the PRO410 to go with my head but its three times the price of the TVX.

I say then, If given a choice of a Peavey or Ampeg, I'd take the Peavey everytime.:thu:

• Members

every ampeg 4x10 i have owned or tried just plain stunk. useless for me. double ugh for the 115s too.

you can find used ampeg 8x10s for 500 bucks or under. just look around.

there's something "wrong" with the peavey 8x10s. i am going to say they sound too boxy and not "round" enough for my tastes.

for me the ampeg fridge wins

i am a patriot bass playing peavey loving die-hard. currently kicking myself for ever selling my rockmaster and TB Raxx preamps to buy an ampeg guitar head

• Members

Don't know about the 8x10 but I have had 2 4x10s for about 8 years and they are tough as nails. One fell down a flight of stairs (big flight) and is none the worse for the wear. I use a Hartke 350w head with them and its been enough for any venue I've played.

PD

• Members

You can't break a Peavey.

:bor:

I once rode an Ampeg 8 X 10 down a boat ramp on a pier face first (the amp), me hanging on to the handle, bouncing the whole way. This was after picking up speed and hitting a chain stretched across half way down. The cab and I were both fine. :)

On the used market you will find Ampeg fridge-cabs that are beat-to-shit ugly and they still work just fine. They are one of the most stout cabs of any kind ever built.

• Members

The term "fridge" applies only to the early straight-back SVT cabinet. The later cabinets and the ones most call a "fridge" are "towel bar" or "tilt back" cabinets. The "fridge" cabinet sounds much different than the later '70s towel bar and the current towel bar sounds much different that the '70s one. This has been a PSA from your resident Ampeg historian.

An early SVT with a straight-back "fridge" cabinet. Notice the dolly.

SVT.jpg

• Members

It's like chalk and cheese, AMPEG cabs are designed with their sound in mind and Peavey with theirs.

AMPEG will have a better resale value but Peavey are usually built to higher tolerances, at $699.00 I wouldn't personally buy it... if you check the harmony central reviews people have brought them for less.

I'm personally in negotiations (just waiting for pics), for a peavey TX 8x10 cab funnily enough... and i'm paying

• Members

I kinda miss my old Peavey 210TX.

Bought it new when Peavey was redoing their bass line. I compared it to the Eden, Hartke, GK & ADA. Only the Eden was better, and noticeably so, but the Peavey blew away all the others. :thu:

I bought the Peavey. It was a couple hundred less than the Eden, and around a hundred less than the others. It was a no brainer. :)

• Members

hey guys,i really appreciate the responses,BRAVO!!!fer once we got right to the point!! i only was able to use my gb with my gb-2x15 cab,well while the amp is gettin fixed i kinda went to the local gc and tried the gk 4x10 cabs,man i sure liked how the 4x10 sounded.the head was a gk1001,BUT i just wanted to hear cabs,also i used a similar bass like my bongo,active pups,the warwick double buck, so i think i am keepin my 2x15 ccab and wouldlike a 4x10, sooo does anyone use the gb 4x10 bass cab? just curious as theyre almost as much as that peavey 8x10 im lookin at. sorry bout my cab GAS!!!!! lump...

• Members

I tried one out then went with an Ampeg 8x10.

Ampeg > Peavey unless of course, you're feminine and submissive type gay.
;)

I thought it was: "Ampeg > Peavey if you have more money than brains and can hear the difference in $15 and $150 cables and are not playing lugs MP3's through it." :poke:

Archived