Is this really racist?

Psilocybin

• Members

Ok, this has probably been posted already. To sum it up, people are throwing a {censored} fit about a lady with a dummy hanging from a noose as a Halloween decoration. It is not made out to look like any particular race. In fact, the mask is more like a skull than anything. I've heard of another deal this year with a similar setup and NAACP going ape {censored}.

Apparently I'm missing the part where the ONLY people ever to be executed by hanging were African American.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok,
this
has probably been posted already. To sum it up, people are throwing a {censored} fit about a lady with a dummy hanging from a noose as a Halloween decoration. It is not made out to look like any particular race. In fact, the mask is more like a skull than anything. I've heard of another deal this year with a similar setup and NAACP going ape {censored}.

Apparently I'm missing the part where the ONLY people ever to be executed by hanging were African American.

I don't know, but saying that the NAACP is going ape {censored} is definitely racist.

:D

• Members

african american is the most stupid way to call people black. are white americans to be known as european american?

We are all American. Anyone who pulls any other bull{censored} titles out of their ass can suck it.

The best thing I ever heard was how the black community didn't think Obama was black enough to be called African American. They said because of his status growing up he didn't have the "black experience" to represent the African American community. What kind of bull{censored} is that:D

Dan

• Members

We are all American. Anyone who pulls any other bull{censored} titles out of their ass can suck it.

The best thing I ever heard was how the black community didn't think Obama was black enough to be called African American. They said because of his status growing up he didn't have the "black experience" to represent the African American community. What kind of bull{censored} is that:D

Dan

I heard this too. I about fell out. His mom's family owned slaves back down the line- I wonder how "AA" that makes him? ;)

• Members

african american is the most stupid way to call people black. are white americans to be known as european american?

It sure is, considering Africa is a continent and not a country. Are Egyptians living in the US African Americans? Dave Mathews and that actress, Charlize Theron were both born in South Africa. I guess they are African Americans too.

• Members

I don't think it matters. The bus driver has every right to consider the Halloween display racist. The homeowner has every right to blow her off.

So you are saying it's fine for me to think of Psilocybin as a racist and fine for him to blow me? :confused: That hardly seems fair.

• Members

Grrr...People completely ignoring context and it's significance.

Kids hanging nooses from the "White Tree" a day after warning Black kids away? Racist.

Someone hanging a dummy from a tree with absolutely no surrounding indications that the dummy is "supposed to be black"? Not racist.

If there had been racial tensions in the town, if the dummy was wearing Michael Vick (et al.) mask, if there was another figure wearing white sheets, if there was prominent confederate symbology, etc., then there would be a context to suggest racial content.

What is there is a monster with a white face wearing blue jeans and a bus driver that claims that hanging in and of itself (remember, there is nothing to suggest "lynching") is inexorably associated with the Lynching experiences of Black people in America.

Honestly, I can see how certain people might feel that way, particularly if they are over 50 and grew up in the South (and can clearly remember from personal experience when Lynchings still happened), but that personal association (if it exists) is not enough to suggest a broader racial content.

• CMS Author

It sure is, considering Africa is a continent and not a country. Are Egyptians living in the US African Americans? Dave Mathews and that actress, Charlize Theron were both born in South Africa. I guess they are African Americans too.

How many of the people calling themsleves "African American" were born in Africa?

None of the names they use (and keep changing) mean anything to me. "Black"??? Sorry, but what about you is black? When my oldest daughter was like 3, she would tell me about "the brown lady with brown skin". That seems more accurate, if you're going to use skin color. "Person of Color"...now that's a good one. Tan is a color. So is pale blue. In fact I don't think I've seen a human with clear skin.

How about we call them, "Stan", and "Colin" and "John"????? And they call themselves "American"?

• Members

Well, if Black people in America could identify their country of origin, they might use that...

Unfortunately, a whole lot of them misplaced their passports when they were forcibly brought to North America in chains and sold into generations of Slavery. ;)

There's also the small matter of the nations from which their ancestors came no longer existing because the continent was divvied up and redrawn by Imperial European powers. :D

I agree it's a useless and often foolish moniker, however the criticism of "it's a continent and not a country" is, well...lets just say "not valid"...:p

And when Theron (whose last name almost everyone mispronounces) hosted SNL they did a whole thing about her being African-American. Smoking menthol cigarettes with Tracy Morgan, etc. :D

• Members

Part of me questions the accuracy with which this story was written. First of all, there's this particular paragraph:

Six black teenagers in Jena, La., were accused of beating of a white student in December after a series of racial incidents that involved nooses hung from trees outside a high school. Black leaders have organized nationwide protests to demand that the charges be dropped.

I know there were/are a lot of protests surrounding the case, but I don't know of any that demand the charges be dropped entirely. They just want a punishment that more accurately reflects the crime.

Then, there's the typo in one the picture captions that goes as follows:

Marcie Brightwell, with her black cat Tesla and her wizard who is a new decoration this year, loves decorating for Halloween. She said she was not trying to offend anyone when she put a "scay [sic] man" hanging from a noose in her front yard.

I guess typos happen, but it looks tacky when it's one of the first pictures in the article. Maybe they just hired a high school kid to do their website. It is, after all, in Des Moines, Iowa.

• Members

None of the names they use (and keep changing) mean anything to me. "Black"??? Sorry, but what about you is black? When my oldest daughter was like 3, she would tell me about "the brown lady with brown skin". That seems more accurate, if you're going to use skin color. "Person of Color"...now that's a good one. Tan is a color. So is pale blue. In fact I don't think I've seen a human with clear skin.

They use? I guess that "Black" just sounded better to them than "Negro" and "Nigger"...I can see how they'd think that. :D

Though, unless you're not in the sun much, you're almost certainly not "white"...:p

The terms mean something very clear in considering the context in which they saw first use, a context that wasn't actually all that long ago.

Language doesn't always "act" logically. E.g., Black & White are perfectly acceptable but Yellow, Red, Brown are all considered mildly racist...Primarily because those colors were/are used as specificially negative racial terms, where black wasn't ("negro", which of course just means "black", was, so it's the one considered inappropriate).

• Members

The names we give people aren't really consistent anyway. I'm fine with the term "white" to describe my race. I don't think most people get worked up over the term "black".

On the flip side, if I drove a couple miles over to the Nez Perce reservation and called them "red", I'd better be prepared to fight for my life. I don't know any Asian people who would approve of being called "yellow" either.

Archived