Tell me about the Traben Array (spalted)

MrSandMan

• Moderators

I used to own the black 4 string Array. The spalted I played at the store wasn't any different. It balances well. The neck is very comfortable. For the price it's a winner. The active electronics could have been better. The pots were cheap and the "chrome" knobs were lightweight junk. Now if you can get by the cheap stuff I just mentioned, it's a really nice player.

• Members

That's a steep proposition.

I'm not ashamed of 2nd hand equipment. Zzsounds have a killer deal on a 15" with tweater cab for like $199-ish shipped to the door. (my old bassist had one and it sounded great)

Heads are about 250ish shipped. Like Behringer BX4500H or a Hartke.

That leaves about $575usd for a guitar. I'd like to stay under $350 for the guitar to put money towards 2x10 cab or something.

• Members

I'm not ashamed of 2nd hand equipment. Zzsounds have a killer deal on a 15" with tweater cab for like $199-ish shipped to the door. (my old bassist had one and it sounded great)

Heads are about 250ish shipped. Like Behringer BX4500H or a Hartke.

That leaves about $575usd for a guitar. I'd like to stay under $350 for the guitar to put money towards 2x10 cab or something.

Neither am I. My entire gigging rig was used.

However...you mentioned "hearth thumping" A Hartke or Behringer head isn't going to do that...IMHO.

Used is certainly the way to go. I'm just not sure what to recommend. I'm thinking that the 1X15 is a good place to start...and adding the 2X10 is also a good idea down the road. As far as a head though, I'd stay away from both of them.

What kind of music are you playing? What sound are you going for?

I would try to find a used GK 800RB. One just went for like $175 used on Craigslist. They usually go for more than that...but never over $400...and they are a really great head. Very reliable, sounds good, loud for the wattage...

As for a bass, I've never played that particular model. I have played a Traben once...it was cool, but I wouldn't buy it. In your price range...I'm thinking Ibanez ATK 300...

• Moderators
I'll be the minority and like the Traben bridge. That was one of my favorite things about the guitars + the wicked body style.

Thanks for the food for thought. I'ma researchin!

The bridge adds sustain. I liked it. Also, the wicked body style is what made it so balanced to play nicely.

• Members

This one gives me a hardon = http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traben-Array-NT-4-String-Bass-Sat-Black-Neck-Thru_W0QQitemZ290173345052QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course I wouldn't give more than $200 for it.

And I like this B.C. Rich, but I wouldn't give more than $250 shipped. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1776983

Archived